Peak

705red

Browncafe Steward
Looking at this thread shows just how much people need to go get sales leads RIGHT NOW. There is no new bussiness but we can sure take DHL customers, I talked to 5 drivers last night and asked if they were getting sales leads and I can't believe how they responded it's like they do not want to try to get leads. Or don't care.
Stop and think for a minute, now drivers are being sent home and the ones that are working are working over 11 hours. When do we have time to stop and talk to the customers about gaining their business? No one that is working 11 hours is happy about it and our main focus is getting the route done to go home.

If ups was smart right now they would put in all the routes and allow the drivers a little time to help grow the business, by allowing us some customer one on one time. No one wants to waste daylight at this time of the year!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think I've said this before, but my boss said they are wondering if this will be the Peak that doesn't come....

It will come.

UPS is in panic mode, eliminating routes and not bringing on peak hires. This will be a fatal mistake. We are going to get creamed. I am predicting a replay of the peak seasons we used to have in the late 80's and early 90's....out until 11:00 at night, bringing hundreds of stops back, not getting the mess cleaned up until the second or third week of January.

I hope I am wrong.

I dont think I will be.

the management in my hub aparantly dont know any of this, they started the rounds of peek season hireing over 3 months ago, now we are completely overstaffed, no shift is double shifting, new hires and greedy supervisors breaking packages left and right... and we are still running over schedual(spelling?)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Stop and think for a minute, now drivers are being sent home and the ones that are working are working over 11 hours. When do we have time to stop and talk to the customers about gaining their business? No one that is working 11 hours is happy about it and our main focus is getting the route done to go home.

If ups was smart right now they would put in all the routes and allow the drivers a little time to help grow the business, by allowing us some customer one on one time. No one wants to waste daylight at this time of the year!

Excellent point. They constantly tell us "we are the face of UPS" and they are right. But I do not have the time.
This post should be sent to Atlanta, short sweet and concise.

rod

Retired 22 years
705red gets my vote for "Poster Of The Year".. ..................Although volumn always picked up a little bit right after Thanksgiving the true "Peak" was always the last 10 days before Christmas. I'm talking the slammed, can't get it all in the package car, never get done, way too many stops, no one will listen to you, hate Santa Claus, Hate Everyone, don't give a crap, go home and kick the dog - peak. ..................then they lay off way too many people after Christmas and split routes up and you don't have a clue what you will be delivering from day to day and you think to yourself-- damm - at least during peak I knew what my route would consist of.:whiteflag:

LiL"Comet"

705red gets my vote for "Poster Of The Year".. ..................Although volumn always picked up a little bit right after Thanksgiving the true "Peak" was always the last 10 days before Christmas. I'm talking the slammed, can't get it all in the package car, never get done, way too many stops, no one will listen to you, hate Santa Claus, Hate Everyone, don't give a crap, go home and kick the dog - peak. ..................then they lay off way too many people after Christmas and split routes up and you don't have a clue what you will be delivering from day to day and you think to yourself-- damm - at least during peak I knew what my route would consist of.:whiteflag:

SSSshhhhhhhhh :surprised: Rod don't tell Red that his head will get so big... and I want have a camera ready for the shot!!!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
When do we have time to stop and talk to the customers about gaining their business? No one that is working 11 hours is happy about it and our main focus is getting the route done to go home.

No one wants to waste daylight at this time of the year!

Amen to wasting daylight in November & December, but a lighter dispatch would sure help.

I bet a lot of people (with common sense) at UPS wish you were calling the shots. Does the DIAD still have a code in other work for volume development? If every driver would be given the chance to get a sales lead twice a week and the time coded in DIAD maybe the bean counters would see how cost effective we could be. Better load quality would cover the cost but the almighty packages per hour on the preload would have to be sacrificed.

****Sorry about that dream, it would be too good to be true****

SSSshhhhhhhhh :surprised: Rod don't tell Red that his head will get so big... and I want have a camera ready for the shot!!!

If his head gets big it will throw his balance off causing him to have another fall.

The word around the Cach barn is that we got several big accounts back like Pampered Chef(pain in the ass back in the day),LTD Commodities,etc. Hopefully this will help out in the Chicago area and spread out to the rest of the country.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
IN one of my buildings the average paid day is about 9.1 hours. We have a total of 19 drivers on layoff this week and we are going to have 16 on layoff next week. The building is down in volume 4.8% and the hours are up 10.8%.9(yes I am an IE Geek, I just did these numbers this morning).

To say that this is an ineffective way to run a business is an understatement. I know that this might be a rare scenario but there is time for these drivers to find Sales Leads and there are many DHL drivers in the area. This building has one of the most NDA deliveries in their district.

Channahon

UPS.com has a link for DHL customers that would like to switch to UPS for their ground shipments. Understanding how busy all of you and will be this time of year, feel free to mention UPS.com to any of your customers that might have DHL shipments.

Switching to UPS has never been easier!

On November 10th, 2008, DHL announced it will discontinue U.S. domestic air and ground express shipping services by the end of January, reduce staff dramatically and close more than 320 stations and all U.S. ground hubs. We realize that your business may be adversely affected by these changes in DHL’s U.S. operations and you need immediate solutions.

We're ready to help.

UPS understands the importance of choice and reliability in meeting your business goals. We can offer:
    • More delivery options across the U.S. than anyone,
    • Three time-definite express options to more international locations than any other carrier,
    • Technology tools and systems to help you process, track and manage your shipment flow,
    • And the efficiency of one driver and one account number for all your ground, air and international documents and packages.
So, let’s get started.

New customer? It’s easy to start. Ship, track, order supplies, or schedule a pickup at ups.com.
Existing customer? We’re ready for more. If you need a daily pickup, or plan to increase your shipments, contact your account executive or call 1-800 PICK UPS®.
Have a shipment ready? Access to UPS is easy. Simply schedule a pickup at ups.com or 1-800-PICK UPS or use one of the nearly 40,000 UPS drop box locations. You can also visit the experts at nearly 4,400 locations of The UPS Store®.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Switching to UPS has never been easier!

Now this should state that when your driver shows ups at 1700 with your delivery and doing your pick up you should ask him for some of his/her time to answer some of your switching questions! But if he tells you that hes got 75 stops left, hasn't had time to eat a sandwich and has pissed his pants twice today because he doesn't have time for a potty break, don't be upset because the next line says it all.

We're ready to help.

Our sales force will come in and promise you the world first without consulting with the driver, so that early pick up ON Fridays for 300 pcs at 11am,,,,,, sure our driver can do that for ya!

UPS understands the importance of choice and reliability in meeting your business goals. We can offer:

Are you kidding me? Now this is funny! I have only been driving for 9 years, but i do remember the days were the customer could set their watches to our delivery time. Now we are far from reliable, if your a business we will get to you by 1700. What? You need to turn these packages around and ship them back out, but your pick up driver comes before your delivery driver? This never would have happened under our creating fathers watch!
    • And the efficiency of one driver and one account number for all your ground, air and international documents and packages.
Did i mention it probably wont be the same driver every day? Our number crunchers dictate how many drivers we need on a daily basis by how many pieces we will deliver. And your regular driver will probably only work two to three days a week until we can fix the broken calculators used by these knuckleheads!

So, let’s get started.

What do you mean your not interested?

Just a little conversation i had with my self as i was reading this, sorry if i bored anyone!

Channahon

Red,

You know being as involved as you are with the Teamsters, and understanding peak season will be minimal this year, due to the economy, and businesses closing left and right, I would think you would encourage your fellow Teamsters to bring as much business as they can to UPS from DHL.

You may not agree with everything UPS does as a Corporation, but if you took the time to look at UPS.com, you will see there is more activity from the Corporate website, than solely relying our the busy drivers. My point was mention UPS.com if a customer wants to find an alternative to DHL.

And those DHL employees that were Teamsters, well, maybe their locals can help them find other employment.

I have a feeling, the economy is going to take a long, long time to recover, and we already know it's one of Obama's priorities.

Sometimes, I think people need to realize the global impact on today's economy, not just their piece of the world.

So keep your attitude toward UPS, and when the layoffs come January, well, it may have been a missed opportunity as DHL is shutting down US operations on January 30, 2009, and those DHL customer who might have the impression UPS doesn't want their business will already have the next carrier in their dock.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Channahon

These customers know we are here
We were here before DHL and obviously are here after DHL
UPS is a brand name in the US and is not hiding behind a rock

Any business that ships out will always have us near the top of the list.
BUT
Most of these companies have had us in the past and were not happy
Most of these companies were screwed by the strike
Most of these companies know that service has been replaced by numbers

Drivers don't have time to be massaging new customers when we are overdispatched everyday. Instead of following a UPS driver to make sure they have their bulkhead door closed, How 'bout the suits follow the DHL guy and slam dunk the lead themselves.

Channahon

Channahon

These customers know we are here
We were here before DHL and obviously are here after DHL
UPS is a brand name in the US and is not hiding behind a rock

Any business that ships out will always have us near the top of the list.
BUT
Most of these companies have had us in the past and were not happy
Most of these companies were screwed by the strike
Most of these companies know that service has been replaced by numbers

Drivers don't have time to be massaging new customers when we are overdispatched everyday. Instead of following a UPS driver to make sure they have their bulkhead door closed, How 'bout the suits follow the DHL guy and slam dunk the lead themselves.

You just can't assume anymore customers know anything anymore in today's business world. The fact of the matter is these are existing DHL customers who wil have to find another carrier. And as I stated, with peak coming all UPS employees will be busy, but a reference to UPS.com just may make the difference between choosing FEDEX and USPS. Although, I haven't been on their websites, I would imagine they have a strategy to get DHL business, as well.

As far as the customers knowing: Most of these companies know that service has been replaced by numbers, how would they know that? Do you think the Sales force, center operations or IE tell our customers that? If I had to guess, the only way a customer would know that is if a driver alluded to the fact during conversation.

Customers have access to UPS reports and from a time and transit perspective, so that is reflective of the service provided by feeders, hub and package service providers. And if those reports are not acceptable to large shippers, then they will and have moved their volume to the competition.

The economy is very scary, and job security as we've known it in the past at UPS, is not as secure as one would like. JMO

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
CHAN

You make a valid point on my comment on businesses knowing numbers replaced service. It would assume they had inside knowledge of UPS or being a member of BROWNCAFE.

Drivers are pushed to the limits as is. It seems everytime we get a raise, they add more on our plate. When they cut out routes, businesses get pushed around and service times change, maybe not pickups but we all know delivery times do.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

You know being as involved as you are with the Teamsters, and understanding peak season will be minimal this year, due to the economy, and businesses closing left and right, I would think you would encourage your fellow Teamsters to bring as much business as they can to UPS from DHL.

You want me to talk to the drivers who have been working 9, 10 11 hours a day everyday this year to help the business grow? A Lot easier said than done! This year the paid days are up, drivers file 9.5 weekly to get the work taken off, but ups just pays the penalty. Drivers cant get 8 hour requests honored so they can make that important family event that they promised their kids. Yeah! I can see the drivers lining up just begging new customers to hop on board!

You may not agree with everything UPS does as a Corporation, but if you took the time to look at UPS.com, you will see there is more activity from the Corporate website, than solely relying our the busy drivers. My point was mention UPS.com if a customer wants to find an alternative to DHL.

Chan i look at upsers. com everyday to see when they will pay me my sales lead that i turned in months ago! I have other drivers in my center that have landed big accounts that have been stiffed on the lead! Yet I'm to put my reputation on the line and tell them that ups will do the right thing? Maybe ups should start doing the right thing so it will make it easier for people like me to say they will!

And those DHL employees that were Teamsters, well, maybe their locals can help them find other employment.

We are helping our dhl brothers and sisters find teamster work within our local still!

I have a feeling, the economy is going to take a long, long time to recover, and we already know it's one of Obama's priorities.

Sometimes, I think people need to realize the global impact on today's economy, not just their piece of the world.

So keep your attitude toward UPS, and when the layoffs come January, well, it may have been a missed opportunity as DHL is shutting down US operations on January 30, 2009, and those DHL customer who might have the impression UPS doesn't want their business will already have the next carrier in their dock.

What you call an attitude i call life experiences within the company i work for. I have posted several other ideas under the dhl thread maybe you could have your retired hubby make some calls and see if ups could follow through on my ideas!

As far as the customers knowing: Most of these companies know that service has been replaced by numbers, how would they know that? Do you think the Sales force, center operations or IE tell our customers that? If I had to guess, the only way a customer would know that is if a driver alluded to the fact during conversation.
I know you have been out of the ups life style for a little time now, but we deliver and pickup alot of accounts because of this wonderful pass/edd system. The customers do not have the same driver everyday now as they did in the past, you could actually go a full week and see five different drivers make your deliver because of the routes being busted out. We might be reliable for getting our packages delivered on time, but delivering business stops after 3pm up to 5pm is not how a business customer should get treated.

If you don't think these dhl shipping customers notice this than you might be a little out of touch. We might not have there shipping business but ill bet you that we deliver to them and they see what time we deliver.

Not throwing jabs at you, just speaking the truth, some cant handle the truth.

Channahon

I can handle the truth and had during my career at UPS. And yes, I have been gone for 3 years, when PAS/EDD was implemented and felt the pain as every one else.

However, I don't see a comparison to DHL and UPS in the ground sector, and yes, the DHL driver may have been to the customer's location sooner, but the DHL driver didn't have the number of deliveries as the UPS driver, and I would guess a customer would notice the difference in truck size and the number of packages.

My point is UPS has the brand name, the economy is, has been and probably is still in a downturn. Every organization that has any business sense, is doing their best in trying to stay afloat.

As we all know, volume drives UPS, less volume, less jobs, just that easy. Why not try to keep the Teamsters working?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The overall theme to your posts is based on the bad economy.

These businesses will give us their packages if the price is right. This is also the same reason they left us for DHL because they were cheaper. The suits are the only ones that can give them that info. I can't promise them things I can't keep.

705red

Browncafe Steward
As we all know, volume drives UPS, less volume, less jobs, just that easy. Why not try to keep the Teamsters working?

I believe thats a question that upper management should answer! If you sent us all out with 9 hours of work we would all be working! But no! We have to work 10, 11 hours or more when its not peak. Ups would rather pay triple time grievances on 9.5s for 6 drivers for the week than put in one extra route per day!

With an 8 or 9 hour day maybe just maybe we could say more than sign here please i might not finish today if you dont hang up that phone and sign!