Peak

Channahon

We are helping our dhl brothers and sisters find teamster work within our local still!

Now that is great news, as I know a former UPS driver, who hired on with Airborne, before DHL bought them. Great guy, and as I read of the demise of DHL, I still wish the best for him.

dc_sniper9130

Tailgunner
Years ago before RPS, FedEx ground etc. Christmas peak would start in early October and run thru 1st week of January. Last year peak was only the 3 weeks before Christmas. You young guys don't know how lucky you have it!

In my hub it's Black Friday to New Years, and it's pretty much like a toggle switch. There isn't much of a buildup, and it only takes maybe a week to go from normal volume to peak volume, then after New Years it just nosedives and goes back to normal in a few days. It's bad enough though, I can't imagine what it must have been like for the more seasoned employees.

Dfigtree

UPS won't give annual peak shipping day projection
12:01 AM EST November 17, 2008
Weak October retail sales and the uncertainty of the upcoming holiday season amid the worst financial crisis to hit the U.S. in decades has prompted shipping giant UPS Inc. to decide not to release a projection for the amount of packages it expects to deliver on its busiest day of the year.
It's the first year since the world's largest shipping carrier went public in 1999 that it won't be making a projection for its peak shipping day, spokesman Norman Black said. The company had been scheduled to discuss its peak projection on Tuesday during an online news conference, but that has been canceled, Black said.
The Atlanta-based company also will not project how many seasonal employees it will hire this year to help it through the holiday shipping season that runs from Thanksgiving until Christmas, Black said.
Last year, UPS delivered more than 22 million packages on its peak shipping day, which was Dec. 19, and it hired about 60,000 seasonal employees.
UPS has roughly 425,000 employees worldwide, 358,000 of whom are in the U.S.
"The holiday peak normally is the one time of year when consumer and business-to-consumer shipping surges," Black said. "But this year, early indicators _ such as the just-reported 2.8 percent drop in October retail sales _ are making any projection difficult. So while it is a bit unusual for UPS not to make peak projections, these are unusual times for the U.S. economy."
UPS, also known as United Parcel Service, reported last month that its third-quarter profit fell nearly 10 percent. It also projected its full-year earnings per share will come in toward the lower end of the $3.50 a share to $3.70 a share guidance it gave in July. It warned that fourth-quarter U.S. shipping volume would be down about 4 percent. The fourth quarter includes the holiday shipping period.
"As it embarks on its 101st holiday shipping season, UPS is well prepared behind the scenes to ensure the highest levels of customer service and we intend to provide the best service in the industry," Black said. "We're just not comfortable making public projections this year."
Separately, UPS has been hoping to complete a vendor agreement with DHL by the end of the year that would involve UPS carrying some of DHL's air packages. However, on Nov. 10., Deutsche Post AG, the German parent of DHL, said it will no longer offer U.S. domestic-only air and ground services as of Jan. 30, though international shipping to and from the U.S. will continue.
The decision could lead to higher shipping prices and greatly scale back the possible venture between UPS and DHL, the fourth-largest shipper of packages in the U.S. DHL, which has been hit by heavy losses and fierce competition, is cutting 9,500 American jobs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've had a helper for the last couple days. They have been bitching about my numbers every chance they get. They don't realize that when we are in REAL PEAK the residential density of stops are big.

The residential deliveries are pretty sporadic so far. I can usually do 200 stops in 5.5 hours last peak. Now I've got more miles and more neighborhoods, and I can only get those 200 done with 7 helper hours.

They and your bosses will be in for a rude awakening if they think we can give them those numbers with a bad peak.

zeus2ez

I wondered with the quest to aquire DHL business that UPS is trying
to recruit, what FedEx is doing to compete for those customers. FedEx is offering
discounts to those customers! Why in the world hasn't UPS implemented this tactic?
The less expensive service is why those former DHL customers used DHL in the first
place.

Well we had a great start for peak last night on the seattle local sort, power was off at start time and the sort started an hour and a half late with the highest volume of the year so far. 6.5 hours før us to finish.

racerchaser

We were told to show up early for work in the A.M. They said it was the start of peak and volume was going to pick up. We will see what happens

W

westsideworma

looks like we're going to be on the same crappy plan as last year. So at least the volume will supposedly be lighter. This likely means we'll be given a floater which is next to useless until after break when they really cream us. One floater will help but not make a huge difference if all your sets are heavy.

Example: Our unload/primary also had an off day today so my cages and slide were empty for a good hour and then were so screwed it wasn't funny after break. A floater wouldn't have made a damn difference in this case.

Its funny though a supe said to me you need to get on your last two guys there they're always the last ones done...mind you, my last two guys are at the end of the boxline where it starts to go to the other side, meaning they're the last to get their work to begin with...the brilliance never sleeps here lol.