PEAK?

vantexan

The double time thing is based on the area your station is in. My old station always made them 5x8. The station I'm at now paid them double time on Saturday
When I was in AZ a couple of years ago they circumvented it by having 4X10's off on Saturday while everyone else worked, then having 4X10's come in on Sunday voluntarily. If it's a station by station thing I'd be surprised. Most likely a state law thing.

McFeely

Huge Member
We don't have many 4x10s in my station so it's not a huge issue I guess. Most don't realize we even get it those 2 weeks each year. Believe me they don't schedule me for 6 days if they can help it.

Oldfart

We don't have many 4x10s in my station so it's not a huge issue I guess. Most don't realize we even get it those 2 weeks each year. Believe me they don't schedule me for 6 days if they can help it.
My station tries to only schedule those that are good workers and the ones that they can rely on.

Oldfart

That explains your 9 day Christmas vacation... when are those other 5 weeks you take off? All of peak?
You guessed it. They pay me 28.46 an hr to stay home because they figure I can do less damage at home than when I work. I am a Price Is Right, Young & Restless and Lets Make a Deal junkie. They figured they could pay a newbie less money and just have me kick back at home and pay me to do nothing. That is why I haven't retired yet. No need to.

Schweddy

Balls
012d8aa9e217bb72de39accd905b73f3.jpg

sandwich

The resident gearhead
My station tries to only schedule those that are good workers and the ones that they can rely on.
But I thought you said your station runs lean on workers so everyone gets more than enough hours. Now you say they pick and choose who they want to work during peak no less?! Also being a lean station you get to take vacation during peak?? You wreak of b.s. in every post you make.

Oldfart

But I thought you said your station runs lean on workers so everyone gets more than enough hours. Now you say they pick and choose who they want to work during peak no less?! Also being a lean station you get to take vacation during peak?? You wreak of b.s. in every post you make.
Sarcasm meet sandwich. He has never seen or heard of you. He must be living under a rock. Look up the word.

Vacation during peak. You must be kidding. No vacation from Thanksgiving week till today. Only half off Black Friday and half off this week. My phone rang early today to see if I wanted double time and half for working today. Too busy watching Breaking Bad marathon. Walt is one bad dude.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Not defending him in the least, but I think he means he's on vacation starting today. THAT one can do if they have high seniority.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sarcasm meet sandwich. He has never seen or heard of you. He must be living under a rock. Look up the word.

Vacation during peak. You must be kidding. No vacation from Thanksgiving week till today. Only half off Black Friday and half off this week. My phone rang early today to see if I wanted double time and half for working today. Too busy watching Breaking Bad marathon. Walt is one bad dude.
Hell, I would have gone in for double time and a half. Lol.

SmithBarney

Depends on station... just use the argument that if you become 5x8 you'll get 4hrs OT, vs 4x10 gets only 2hrs OT for a 12 hr day... then maybe they'll forget about that ONE day that makes peak worth it for 4x10's hehe.

Someone must've won a lawsuit. Years ago when I was 4X10 they would convert us over to 5X8 every year the week before Christmas when we worked 6 days. Used to tell us that it wasn't fair to 5X8's if we got double time. They never had a problem giving us only 8 hrs holiday pay when we normally got 10 hrs.