PEAK?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, but your post read as though it contained a rare bit of surprise and frustration.
Are little disgust. If the means to an end is through the use of Independent Contractors, then it should be incumbent upon them to remain well within that framework.

The disgust comes with what I always say concerning this: the vague, permissive nature of contract law that allows for the manufacture and use of what in legal terms is an "unconscionable contract".

Exec32

Yo
That's a nice dream. I don't see it happening until there are widespread failures across the network. I don't think the brass quite understand the full impact of the ISP model and the difference in quality of a driver for a contractor and a single van operator. They will keep squeezing until it breaks or until the organic growth of the overall market slows and we actually have to compete for customers on service.
You sir are absolutely correct. It will come down to the customer experience, compete for customers on service. That is where the current model and settlement structure falls far short.
X will not meet forcast in the future because of its fragmented system of contractors and gaps of control, however small those gaps are. Contractors will continue to lose their ability to compete in an improving job market.

bbsam

Staff member
Yo

You sir are absolutely correct. It will come down to the customer experience, compete for customers on service. That is where the current model and settlement structure falls far short.
X will not meet forcast in the future because of its fragmented system of contractors and gaps of control, however small those gaps are. Contractors will continue to lose their ability to compete in an improving job market.
Improving job market? We'll see. Around here, there are jobs but driving at Ground isn't the worst someone could settle for.

Exec32

Improving job market? We'll see. Around here, there are jobs but driving at Ground isn't the worst someone could settle for.
I find it difficult to keep qualified , competent individuals even with the not so distant recession we went through. If you look at all economic indicators I believe those facts and realities reflect we are somewhat better off than even a few years ago. The market dictates the cost of labor, and competition. Amazon and the likes will increase your cost of doing business. Even you can't avoid these realities. The only thing that will prolong the inevitable for some is if they only run dense areas, and other competitors have not entered their markets YET. However, a contractor that runs mostly dense areas,,,,,,CAN EASILY BE REPLACED OR UNDERBID.
"Driving at Ground isn't the worst they can do", ? Maby so, but X wants you to be UPS for a dime not a dollar. In turn your workforce will be made up of dimes, and X will keep the pressure on us to do more for less.

bbsam

Staff member
I find it difficult to keep qualified , competent individuals even with the not so distant recession we went through. If you look at all economic indicators I believe those facts and realities reflect we are somewhat better off than even a few years ago. The market dictates the cost of labor, and competition. Amazon and the likes will increase your cost of doing business. Even you can't avoid these realities. The only thing that will prolong the inevitable for some is if they only run dense areas, and other competitors have not entered their markets YET. However, a contractor that runs mostly dense areas,,,,,,CAN EASILY BE REPLACED OR UNDERBID.
"Driving at Ground isn't the worst they can do", ? Maby so, but X wants you to be UPS for a dime not a dollar. In turn your workforce will be made up of dimes, and X will keep the pressure on us to do more for less.
One of my drivers left for UPS 6 months ago. Comparing what he does there to what he did at Ground is a joke.

Texted me at about 4 pm a couple weeks ago with 130 stops left. He rarely did 130 in a day at Ground.

Nolimitz

Stop density is way different too. There are 3/4 UPS trucks covering my express rte.

One of my drivers left for UPS 6 months ago. Comparing what he does there to what he did at Ground is a joke.

Texted me at about 4 pm a couple weeks ago with 130 stops left. He rarely did 130 in a day at Ground.

McFeely

Huge Member
Stop density is way different too. There are 3/4 UPS trucks covering my express rte.

Bingo. The UPS guy on my route said he and his runner easily did 10 stops on this one street on my route then turned around and did 10 more on the other side of the street (street has a big median in the middle). On a busy day during peak I might have done 15 stops in that entire neighborhood.

Exec32

M

Most dense routes can do 130+. Even the few that exist at X. A good wage, benefits, and pension can do wonders to motivate.
Utilization for most parts are difficult to maximize given the routes designed by X. I have to manipulate stops between 6 routes to achieve real efficiencies. This takes about 2 hours each morning to accomplish. That is the only way I can afford to pay my guys decent, paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation. X takes those efficiencies I accomplished and in turn raise my thresholds!
My point is that the only way to maximize your profit from the small settlements is to create your own efficiencies, cost savings.
X is demanding that in dense areas by negotiating less for the contractor.
I am finding fewer ways to achieve these efficiencies now with the incompatibles. This will ruin a contractor soon, but I'm sure we will squeeze our drivers for more before that happens.

vantexan

4-day employee. Worked 2 of my days off.
Someone must've won a lawsuit. Years ago when I was 4X10 they would convert us over to 5X8 every year the week before Christmas when we worked 6 days. Used to tell us that it wasn't fair to 5X8's if we got double time. They never had a problem giving us only 8 hrs holiday pay when we normally got 10 hrs.

Purplepackage

Someone must've won a lawsuit. Years ago when I was 4X10 they would convert us over to 5X8 every year the week before Christmas when we worked 6 days. Used to tell us that it wasn't fair to 5X8's if we got double time. They never had a problem giving us only 8 hrs holiday pay when we normally got 10 hrs.

The double time thing is based on the area your station is in. My old station always made them 5x8. The station I'm at now paid them double time on Saturday