Pension calculator updated?

Family

So a retiree living in MA with a $3400 mortgage should have the same pension as a WV resident with a $800 mortgage...

The central states have a lower pension because the cost of living is lower than coastal states.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why muddle any particular funds payout with negotiated contributions? Two separate issues.

Trucker Clock

So a retiree living in MA with a $3400 mortgage should have the same pension as a WV resident with a $800 mortgage...

Yep. People choose to live where they live. I should not have to take a cut just because some people choose to live in "expensive" areas.

The central states have a lower pension because the cost of living is lower than coastal states.

Wrong. Everyone is paid the same rate. Your hourly wage is not dependent on where you live. It is the same everywhere, as pensions should be. Your pension is based on your hourly wage and pension contributions, not where you live.

Trucker Clock

Why muddle any particular funds payout with negotiated contributions? Two separate issues.

Because you're complaining that everybody's contribution increases should be equal. I say that since everybody's contributions are not equal in the first place, then why should the increases be equal?

You're saying that let's not worry that the West already gets more in contributions than anyone else, sometimes even $7 more per hour. You don't care if that's really fair or not. You don't want to open that issue. To open Pandora's Box, so to speak.

Those with smaller pension contributions in the first place should get bigger increases, which they did, as long as they don't get more than you. They are still not equal. We make the same hourly rate throughout the country, the pension contributions should be the same.

Wally

Because you're complaining that everybody's contribution increases should be equal. I say that since everybody's contributions are not equal in the first place, then why should the increases be equal?

You're saying that let's not worry that the West already gets more in contributions than anyone else, sometimes even $7 more per hour. You don't care if that's really fair or not. You don't want to open that issue. To open Pandora's Box, so to speak.

Those with smaller pension contributions in the first place should get bigger increases, which they did, as long as they don't get more than you. They are still not equal. We make the same hourly rate throughout the country, the pension contributions should be the same.
The contributions were not equal before this contract?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

People are forgetting that we still have members that are not getting any weekly monetary contributions per Article 34.

The IBT/UPS Pension Plan is just one of them. Every UPS member who is in one of those company controlled defined pension plans will only get increases through negotiating.

Political gamesmanship had destroyed any concept of every Union member ever getting the same benefits nationwide.

Using the Western as a yardstick it can be said that some of our members will at the end will be only collecting one half and in some areas one third with the same amount of years service and age.

Trucker Clock

The contributions? No.

The contribution increases? Yes.

Just because it was once that way doesn’t mean it was right or that it should stay. Things change and maybe it time for a correction.

Trucker Clock

Using the Western as a yardstick it can be said that some of our members will at the end will be only collecting one half and in some areas one third with the same amount of years service and age.

Very true. Yet they’re complaining that others got a pension contribution increase and they didn’t.

I shouldn’t say they didn’t get an increase. They did. It was just cut in half. Even with that, the actuaries predict a $300 per month per year pension increase for the next 5 years. A total of $1500/mo.

Trucker Clock

I have a post of yours bookmarked. It is spot on. And I have not seen anyone refute it yet.

This should open people’s eyes up about their puny pensions, compared to the West.

And then we have to sit here and listen to them complain about how the increases in this contract were not fair.

Wally

This is the point where @Wally usually creates some clever meme or GIF to mask his tears from being taken to the woodshed.
What woodshed? @542thruNthru, @MyTripisCut , myself, and others are getting less, while the Central is getting more.

Just wondering what these "puny pension" locals did themselves? Anything? The 177 voted to add cash themselves. Didn’t wait for a handout. That is something any local can do.

Screenshot_20230908_085304_Chrome.jpg

Za2F4fuz6VPD.jpg

Last edited: