Pensions

floridays

Just got my yearly notice from Central States today. They are down to 19.5% funded. BUT with the new American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 it will be funded until "2051 and likely longer". Thank you taxpayers.
Hey prick, you work for me then. I'll take a beer, deliver it in a lacy top and a thong, Sir.

fdxsux

Doesn’t matter which one you choose. They’ll force everyone to switch to the new plan in a couple years just like they did last time.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Doesn’t matter which one you choose. They’ll force everyone to switch to the new plan in a couple years just like they did last time.
Exactly.

If there’s anything advantageous for hourly employees, Smith by his predatory nature will destroy it. Guaranteed.

MassWineGuy

I have almost seven years in and my pension would be around $8.37 a month. So it probably makes sense to take the eight percent match.

Serf

I have almost seven years in and my pension would be around $8.37 a month. So it probably makes sense to take the eight percent match.
Yes if you get a lump sum it would equate to an after tax net of 50-70k. Assuming you worked 20-30 yrs. With inflation that’s no more than a severance check. Or you invest in an annuity and earn gas money each month.

falcon back

Yes if you get a lump sum it would equate to an after tax net of 50-70k. Assuming you worked 20-30 yrs. With inflation that’s no more than a severance check. Or you invest in an annuity and earn gas money each month.
Why not roll it over and let it grow when you retire? Or leave it alone when you retire and let it grow until you decide to take it. That's what I did with both pensions and watching them grow until I decide it's time to start drawing.

Serf

Why not roll it over and let it grow when you retire? Or leave it alone when you retire and let it grow until you decide to take it. That's what I did with both pensions and watching them grow until I decide it's time to start drawing.
Of course that works too. If you’re fortunate enough to be in that position. For most the idea of retirement is to collect those funds upon end of work.

falcon back

Of course that works too. If you’re fortunate enough to be in that position. For most the idea of retirement is to collect those funds upon end of work.
Load up your 401k and waiting to draw your pension becomes reality. Oh wait. Cactus and Tex didn't save enough money in their 401k so they had to take their pension right away. Poor planning on their part.

NC man

I would wager most people do not know you can retire and delay ,I never knew and FedEx doesn’t tell you so, least they have never told me or anyone i know. Taking pension when I retire anyway, if you can hold off and want to then go for it. Anyone can drop dead tomorrow though.

It will be fine

I would wager most people do not know you can retire and delay ,I never knew and FedEx doesn’t tell you so, least they have never told me or anyone i know. Taking pension when I retire anyway, if you can hold off and want to then go for it. Anyone can drop dead tomorrow though.
Once you start taking the portable do you have to continue to draw it down or can you pause it and keep getting the 4%? It would be a nice hedge if you could turn withdrawals on and off.

NC man

The portable is lump sum or monthly payment ,you decide when you retire.to avoid a tax hit on lump sum you can move it to Ira rollover and take funds out as you desire. Supposedly you can delay taking it when you retire but not pause off and on.Either monthly payment or lump sum.
Mine will be 100k at Dec this yr or 458 month til I die at which time my wife would rec til she dies if I pass before her. I would rather do rollovervira and move the lump sum to it,invest it and draw from as I see fit.

falcon back

Once you start taking the portable do you have to continue to draw it down or can you pause it and keep getting the 4%? It would be a nice hedge if you could turn withdrawals on and off.
I believe once you start drawing the Portable, the lump sum no longer draws the 4%. I might be mistaken. You can't start and stop the pension.

falcon back

I was the one that told you about that option. Tex kept telling me I was mistaken even after you posted the paragraph under "Key Dates" on the retirement website that explained that option.. That guy has made one bad financial move after another and it kills him that others properly planned for retirement while he sleeps in his car or in a tent during retirement.

NC man

I was the one that told you about that option. Tex kept telling me I was mistaken even after you posted the paragraph under "Key Dates" on the retirement website that explained that option.. That guy has made one bad financial move after another and it kills him that others properly planned for retirement while he sleeps in his car or in a tent during retirement.
yea, I remember that

Serf

The 401k is generous. But what would stop them from dropping the match down year over year? Remember the step program?
The fine print about on the PPA is the damning truth where it says; “The number in your account is notional.” Meaning it’s not really hard currency set aside. Your 401k however is.

Stat41

The fine print about on the PPA is the damning truth where it says; “The number in your account is notional.” Meaning it’s not really hard currency set aside. Your 401k however is.
I know it looks like that on its face but in accounting terms notional is the amount used to calculate further contributions. For instance, if I had 100k in my account (the notional amount) they would start at that amount to determine the yearly percentage contribution that would go into my account .