Pensions

MassWineGuy

To be fair, the company could take away the 401k match OR the pension contributions at any point. Same goes for any perk/benefit that isn’t required by the government or employment contract.

I think I’m still leaning towards the PPA offering at the time because my amount is set to go up based on my age/YOS pretty soon. I already have a huge chunk going to my 401 and I have a Roth IRA in addition to those.

Did you start your Roth a long time ago? I like the idea, but I couldn’t find both that and a 401k.

McFeely

Huge Member
Did you start your Roth a long time ago? I like the idea, but I couldn’t find both that and a 401k.

I started my Roth last year. Had to save up $1000 to open the account if I recall, and now I put a smallish amount in monthly. My goal for retirement was to always have cash, pre-tax money, and post-tax money.

The biggest reason I have as much as I do in my retirement accounts is that I started saving when I was 23 and I always put a portion of my yearly raises into my 401k. In my 40s now but my goal is to retire in the range of 55-60.

MassWineGuy

Hmm. I basically began saving whenI started at FedEx. I suppose putting a little into a Roth is feasible.

I’m 67, but feel ok about working a while more.

McFeely

Huge Member
Hmm. I basically began saving whenI started at FedEx. I suppose putting a little into a Roth is feasible.

Do what you can to set aside enough to open an account and then set up an automatic withdrawal from your checking account. Once the account is open, you can contribute a very small amount monthly (think like $15) but once you start you won’t miss it. Increase it over time and you’ll have a retirement account that won’t be taxed when you draw from it.

abused.crr

Union YES! I was an express employee for 22 years... handler, DG, team lead, senior csa, swing, courier, and RTD. It took me 22 years to realize I’m more valuable and work way to hard for Fred’s peanuts! I’m a proud union member now.

falcon back

Ask all the American companies that are down here.
Those companies are there because wages are so cheap. I bet the executives of those companies are living in the states and let the chumps run the operations in Mexico. I doubt Gates, Bezos or Musk are residing in Mexico.

vantexan

Those companies are there because wages are so cheap. I bet the executives of those companies are living in the states and let the chumps run the operations in Mexico. I doubt Gates, Bezos or Musk are residing in Mexico.
I've been here 10 weeks. In that time I've eaten at McDonald's, Pizza Hut, KFC, Dominoes, Burger King. Haven't been to Little Caesar's yet. In other Mexican cities I've also eaten at Carl's Jr, Subway, and Denny's. I've been to Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Home Depot, and Sears(which is still operating here). Not talking about factories which aren't a thing in the city I'm in. One added plus here though. The weather is extremely good. Anywhere in the U.S. that has a year round mild climate is very expensive. Is it perfect? No. Get out of the touristy center and a few upscale neighborhoods and it's very poor. A lot of graffiti. Broken sidewalks. But in the bubble it's plenty nice enough. And violent crime is very low. I could live in a very nice apartment instead of a small, but nice, enough one with basic furnishings. But I prefer saving money. Instead of eating at expensive tourist restaurants I eat at mostly local establishments. I have spent $17 on a meal here. That's a great steak dinner here. But mostly in the $7-$8 range. And occasionally at an American fast food restaurant when I miss the States. This city got fiber optic internet a couple of years ago and greatly improved the quality. I often take my tablet to that Chinese buffet and watch Tucker Carlson on it with their wifi. I know you want to pick this apart but living here will allow me to live comfortably on less than $600 a month. If I really pushed it I could get by on $400 a month but why strain? I'm going to take SS at 62 and for 5 years put all of it and most of my pension into savings. Assuming I stay healthy enough. And yes I took the accelerated pension because I'm probably not going to make it to 75, maybe not 70. If I do, I'd still be able to live comfortably here on my SS and what's left of my pension. And the goal is to live in Argentina when they open up. They're going through a financial crisis that won't go away any time soon. Can get a nice apartment there, live an even better quality of life for what it's costing me in Mexico. Look up pictures of Bariloche. Switzerland scenery for a fraction of the cost. Nothing wrong with the U.S. if you can afford it. For those of us who can't there are alternatives. When I visit my dad in November going to get an Amazon Fire Stick to plug into a big screen so I can watch tv with the Dish Anywhere app. That works great anywhere you have decent internet. Want to watch sports on a bigger screen.

HedleyLamarr

Good for you for working the plan and the weight loss! I need to drop about 10 pounds myself but Im having to work so much because of this RESONSE mess Im not able to focus as much on diet and dont have time to properly exercise other than humping up driveways. I'm sure there are many others here in the same boat.
My advice is to get up an hour earlier than your usual time and take a walk. Exercise is worth losing an hour sleep over. Btw. I routinely get up early and ride my bike 9-10 miles before work, so I practice what I preach

vantexan

My advice is to get up an hour earlier than your usual time and take a walk. Exercise is worth losing an hour sleep over. Btw. I routinely get up early and ride my bike 9-10 miles before work, so I practice what I preach
I used to walk to and from work. And bike. Have lived as far as 3 miles from the station. Between that and all the movement at work I believe it saved me when I had a plugged up artery in 2011. 99% blocked. My body literally grew vessels around the blockage. Doctors have told me I have a very strong heartbeat which I guess as the "widowmaker" artery got blocked my heart helped push the blood through. Never too late to start exercising.

HedleyLamarr

McDonalds, Pizza Hut...etc. I really, REALLY, wish we would stop exporting our American junk food. Do they make fun of fat American tourists down there like I heard they do in Europe?

vantexan

McDonalds, Pizza Hut...etc. I really, REALLY, wish we would stop exporting our American junk food. Do they make fun of fat American tourists down there like I heard they do in Europe?
Most Americans and other tourists here are in reasonable shape. They're the ones who are into veganism and such. Quite a few restaurants here catering to that. Much more likely to see overweight Mexicans. The American fast food joints are popular. But there's a lot of thin Mexicans here too, primarily because they eat mostly fresh, not processed food, and can't afford to eat in restaurants. Mexicans consume a lot of sugar though, and other carbs. Has one of the worst problems with diabetes in the world.

Stat41

I have to get up at 5:00 AM to make it to work on time. Then drive there, work a 10 to 13 hour day, and drive home to do it all over again. Sorry but getting up at 4:00 AM to exercise just isn't on my radar right now. I am an avid cyclist but right now I'm doing good to get some riding in on the weekends. Im not in bad shape, just need to loose some weight! Hope things change soon!

floridays

I've been here 10 weeks. In that time I've eaten at McDonald's, Pizza Hut, KFC, Dominoes, Burger King. Haven't been to Little Caesar's yet. In other Mexican cities I've also eaten at Carl's Jr, Subway, and Denny's. I've been to Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Home Depot, and Sears(which is still operating here). Not talking about factories which aren't a thing in the city I'm in. One added plus here though. The weather is extremely good. Anywhere in the U.S. that has a year round mild climate is very expensive. Is it perfect? No. Get out of the touristy center and a few upscale neighborhoods and it's very poor. A lot of graffiti. Broken sidewalks. But in the bubble it's plenty nice enough. And violent crime is very low. I could live in a very nice apartment instead of a small, but nice, enough one with basic furnishings. But I prefer saving money. Instead of eating at expensive tourist restaurants I eat at mostly local establishments. I have spent $17 on a meal here. That's a great steak dinner here. But mostly in the $7-$8 range. And occasionally at an American fast food restaurant when I miss the States. This city got fiber optic internet a couple of years ago and greatly improved the quality. I often take my tablet to that Chinese buffet and watch Tucker Carlson on it with their wifi. I know you want to pick this apart but living here will allow me to live comfortably on less than $600 a month. If I really pushed it I could get by on $400 a month but why strain? I'm going to take SS at 62 and for 5 years put all of it and most of my pension into savings. Assuming I stay healthy enough. And yes I took the accelerated pension because I'm probably not going to make it to 75, maybe not 70. If I do, I'd still be able to live comfortably here on my SS and what's left of my pension. And the goal is to live in Argentina when they open up. They're going through a financial crisis that won't go away any time soon. Can get a nice apartment there, live an even better quality of life for what it's costing me in Mexico. Look up pictures of Bariloche. Switzerland scenery for a fraction of the cost. Nothing wrong with the U.S. if you can afford it. For those of us who can't there are alternatives. When I visit my dad in November going to get an Amazon Fire Stick to plug into a big screen so I can watch tv with the Dish Anywhere app. That works great anywhere you have decent internet. Want to watch sports on a bigger screen.
All that is is useless :bsbullf:, tell us about the Senoritas.:clap::clap: :rolleyes::thumbup1:.

:crazy2::sword: