perfect loader.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not once did I mention safety. Not once did I mention risk of injury. A major issue is time, it affects drivers just as much as it does preloaders.

If your management team is driven by production numbers then they will push you to finish quickly. To abide by safety rules - all a preloader can do is either one stack out, or let the boxes go by. Either way your management won't like it.

Dear Kraetos,
You are absolutely right. You did not mention either of these things. I am sorry. I will be more careful with my replies in the future.

Sincerely,

I

govols019

You smell that?
So many factors go into how good a loader is.

His load area - Is he at the front of the belt having to sort and load three cars or in the middle with zero responsibility other than his area?

The amount of time he's given - Does the unload supe push everything out as fast as possible to get good time/numbers or does he keep the flow at an even pace?

His bulk - Does he have to abide with heavy bulk for the trucks he loads everyday, on an occasional basis, or very rarely?

His center - Does he work in a large center with heavy volume or in a small center with minimal volume?

Loading does rely on the integrity and drive of the loader themselves, but a majority of factors are more often than not beyond a loader's control.

I don't believe the original poster was speaking about a preloader.

iowa boy

Dear iowa boy,

This is the responsilty of management at UPS everywhere.
If you have any specific incidents of supervisors placing production numbers first that you think should be corrected maybe I can help.

Let me know,

Sincerely,

I

Okay Integrity heres a numbers before safety scenario for you,

On Tuesday of this last week we had a good snowstorm move thru the state of Iowa. The entire state was under a blizzard warning for 18-24 hours Tuesday into Wednesday. Our beloved district management team in Missouri seemed to think it was okay for every center in the state of Iowa to send their feeder drivers to Des Moines to drop off and pick up their respective loads that Tuesday night. Only four runs from the entire state made it to Des Moines that night.

Why? Cuz Missouri didn't think it was that bad in the state that night. Even though they could turn on the TV or get on the internet and verify the weather conditions for that night, someone from I.E. in Missouri called three businesses in every centers delivery area on Wednesday to verify the weather was as bad as the local management teams were saying it was.

The kicker here was the Omaha hub shut down at 8 pm that Tuesday night due to the weather and yet Missouri said we had to make our feeder runs as it would screw up the districts numbers.

So, please save me this drivel about safety first and production second, as I have seen first hand what this company really cares about.

Iowa

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I don't believe the original poster was speaking about a preloader.

He mentioned loader, missorts, and working on a belt, naturally I assumed it was preloader. Granted I don't know much about trailer loading, but I think it could go either way? How do you get misloads while loading a trailer? Isn't that only a problem when concerning package cars?

blue efficacy

He mentioned loader, missorts, and working on a belt, naturally I assumed it was preloader. Granted I don't know much about trailer loading, but I think it could go either way? How do you get misloads while loading a trailer? Isn't that only a problem when concerning package cars?
No, belts bring packages from the primary sort aisle in a hub to the outbound trailers, which the loader loads.

If you load a package being shipped to NY into a trailer going to CA, this would be a misload.

Loaders load trailers, preloaders load package cars.

Scooter1

Oh great, UPS will use this guy to set the misload standard for everyone else. I always argue about what the misload standard should be because management has never been able to say what the "built-in error rate" is. By this I mean, if you take 1000 package labels, how many of them will have a misprint in the address, ZIP code, or city? I have even seen packages with mulitple lables with similar but different addresses on each label.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Okay, I guess I'll be the first to congratulate this loader. Congratulations on a job well done. I also congratulate the loader/OP who works along side them. You people seem like a great team. Keep up the good work.

I also agree with Scooter. UPS will look at these numbers as the norm, creating and impossible quota for future loaders. It's just the way it happens.