pernamently disabled

sandee

I worked for UPS as non union employee from 1990 to 2008. Then worked at a bank from 2008 to 2014 which I now have an injured neck from repetitive damages. Im approved for Social Security Disability since September 2014. I received a letter from UPS of my retirement funds because I applied for Social Security. I sent them a copy of the APPROVED Social Security Disability and UPS denied me because I am not "disabled". Second time I sent the UPS more documents and next they said I have to be 55 years old to receive my retirement funds. And then I sent more documents and doctors letter with signatures to the UPS and this time it says that I need to be ACTIVE at UPS. Am I doing something wrong?

Sandee

beentheredonethat

From what I understood when it came to retirement. When a person is working at UPS and has the minimum years in (I think 25) and is 55 years old (minimum age). THey can elect to get an "early" retirement plan. (Note: this is for grandfathered non union employees who were working prior to the shift to the defined contribution plan for retirement). However, if a person leaves UPS prior to age 55. (even age 54 and 364 days). Then retirement benefits are not eligible until 65 years of age (normal retirement). Besides not starting retirement until 65 you also lose 3% for every year you left UPS shy of 65. (So if you left when you were 45 years old, then you would lose 60% (20*3%) of the retirement you would have been eligible for.

As I reread your statement, I'm wondering. Are you saying the repetitive injuries is due to the job you were at (bank) or due to injuries that occurred while working at UPS and now 6 years later you want to collect on? You seem vague on this issue.

sandee

As for UPS, I was not fired nor I did not quit UPS. There was a contract agreement and as put as termination date on 2008. My repetitive neck injury started working at the bank. At the work bank I filed workman comp for my neck injury in March 2014 and then two weeks later I was fired for not coming back to work. The bank denied my workman comp and so I filed Social Security Disability in April 2014. On September 2014 Im approved for SS disability.

As per UPS letter it says: "According to your records, you are currently 48 years old. Early retirement starts at age 55. Therefore you are unable to draw your retirement right now. If you have been classified from Social Security as TOTALLY disabled. You MAY be able to draw a disability retirement. Just send in a copy of a statement from Social Security stating you are totally disabled and we will reassesss to see if you are eligible for disability."

As I did sent numerous copies from my Social Security Disability documents and also sent my Orthopedic doctor that Im totally disabled and UPS still denied me.

sandee

The first UPS letter I got is when I first applied for SSD. Here is what the first UPS letter wrote:

"We are writing to tell you that you, or the worker whose Social Security number appears at the top of this form, MAY be entitled to some retirement benefits from a private employer. Also, your family, or the worker's family, may be entitled to retirement or survivor benefits.

These potential benefits are NOT Social Security benefits.

You have, or the worker has, earned retirement benefits although no longer employed in a job covered by the retirement plan. These are called "deferred vested benefits". Private retirement plan administrators must provide information about such benefits to us through the Internal Revenue Service. We provide this reported information about the retirement plan when the individual asks for it or when a claim is filed for Social Security benefits. Social Security does not have any information about the benefits other than what appears below.

If you want to apply for these retirement benefits, you should contact the Plan Administrator shown below at UPS RETIREMENT PLAN, 55 GLENLAKE PARKWAY, ATLANTA GA 303280000"

beentheredonethat

Sounds like an automatic form letter from UPS in the last post. Depending on your age, you may have been entitled to benefits. Sounds like you won't get anything until 65 from UPS. Although if you do quality, it would be interesting to know since that would be a benefit I had never heard of. I hope you heal up and feel better.

sandee

the last post is my first letter. Then the other post is my second letter via email communicating with the UPS retirement administrator.