Pick Off area , All mats removed and standing on bare grating for 4 or more hours .

Johnnyboy130

Recently all mats (secured or loose) have been removed from our hub leaving just the bare grating to stand on, After a couple of hours our feet legs and lower backs start to hurt..UPS safety have said 1st that they were a fire hazard then changed it to a tripping hazzard which OSHA told them, I have contacted OSHA in regards to this matter and am awaiting the paper work, UPS has said they will not be replacing or put anything down for the Pick Offs to stand on, Has this happen in all the hubs or is it just mine (Whites Creek Nashville, TN ) I would appreciate any input or comments in regards to this as not only myself but others who I have talked to have suffered the same pain where I work. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you Johnnyboy130.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: Pick Off area , All mats removed and standing on bare grating for 4 or more hours

Not that you should have to do this but have you considered bringing in your own mat?

Johnnyboy130

Re: Pick Off area , All mats removed and standing on bare grating for 4 or more hours

I have thought about that but figured why buy something that should be provided for me and also to carry it in and out everytime would be a pain too ..we are a pretty big hub and the area I work in is on the other side of the hub but thanks you for your input

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess you will have to choose whether you wish to be inconvenienced or work in discomfort.

balland chain

Recently all mats (secured or loose) have been removed from our hub leaving just the bare grating to stand on, After a couple of hours our feet legs and lower backs start to hurt..UPS safety have said 1st that they were a fire hazard then changed it to a tripping hazzard which OSHA told them, I have contacted OSHA in regards to this matter and am awaiting the paper work, UPS has said they will not be replacing or put anything down for the Pick Offs to stand on, Has this happen in all the hubs or is it just mine (Whites Creek Nashville, TN ) I would appreciate any input or comments in regards to this as not only myself but others who I have talked to have suffered the same pain where I work. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you Johnnyboy130.
Get the best foot ware you can afford.. I agree that UPS should provide the mats. UPS will change the reason 10 times if not more as to why they were removed.. I remember when we could only wear pants.. My supervisor said it was because we handle haz mats. Hell, if a maz mat is going to burn thru our long pants it is going to get to our skin,, meaning the pants are not going to offer anymore protection if a spill occurs..
If you are now experiencing pain in your lower back, and it was not present the mats were in place then file a workers comp claim. If that is something you do not want to do, or if that seems overboard, let your sup know that you are in some pain because the mats have been removed.. They may just look at you like a deer in the headlights , but I would let it be known.. UPS may also just say, this is it, take it or leave it.. But if you are truly have a health issue, ie pain in legs and lower back, I would talk to my sup so it is documented. If you do so, write down who you spoke with, date and time.. It would not hurt to take a shop steward with you when you have this talk so you have a witness.. GL

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

You could file a grievance under past practices, as there is an established past practice of providing clerical mats and this affects multiple workers.

I picked off for 2-3 years without a mat until I started bringing one in. They need to provide mats, period.