Pilot strike

bacha29

Yep, nothing to see here.
Says a lot about the level of confidence Fat Freddy and Raj The Rascal have in the success of the consolidated OPCO's. "Never mind the fact that I'm cashing out ahead of everyone else....everything's just fine folks".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Studies show workers that value maintaining their employment are more productive than ones that don’t. Stagnant wages increase turnover and lower productivity. Is your contention that lower wages increase productivity? Do you believe a 10% decrease in wages would increase productivity or do you believe the two aren’t linked in any way?
You're leaving out something very important. Increases in wages and productivity are subject to the law of diminishing returns. There is a limit to productivity that no wage can overcome.

Express gave multiple markets a better than 10% wage increase and saw no increase in productivity. Anecdotally, employees said that they were being worked to the max anyway. So here we are with a real world experiment in which employees who said that could not possibly do any more than they were already doing were given good raises and they did not do any more than they were already doing.

To answer you question, it is my contention that when people say they aren't going to do more if you give them a raise, they are probably telling you the truth.

vantexan

You're leaving out something very important. Increases in wages and productivity are subject to the law of diminishing returns. There is a limit to productivity that no wage can overcome.

Express gave multiple markets a better than 10% wage increase and saw no increase in productivity. Anecdotally, employees said that they were being worked to the max anyway. So here we are with a real world experiment in which employees who said that could not possibly do any more than they were already doing were given good raises and they did not do any more than they were already doing.

To answer you question, it is my contention that when people say they aren't going to do more if you give them a raise, they are probably telling you the truth.
Should you only give raises on the premise you get increased profits in return? Which is what you're expecting with increased productivity. What about putting in the time and being a solid employee over that time span? Does that count for anything anymore? Businessmen rail against the government creating a dependent class to get votes but turn around and pay just enough to keep people from leaving. Making them paycheck to paycheck dependent wage slaves. Pretty hard to leave if you can't find anything else and you'll soon be destitute without that paycheck.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Here's the question:
OK, so how much more productive do FedEx employees get per 10% increase in pay?

And here are the responses:

We’ll never know goobar!!! They cringe at a 3% raise. This cheap labor idea will eventually get rid of all the good workers and eventually fold. I just hope it takes 10-20 years, I wanna milk them for all I can!

Pay a good salary and benefits and set standards. Then you can expect the productivity and quality of UPS drivers. It's really not that complicated.

I disagree with your contention that the employees prevented the company from being more productive. It wasn’t the hourlies that were myopic and decided that a less than efficient system of operating was necessary to prevent a unionized workforce.

Coming from a business background, my first year with FedEx I was amazed at how terribly inefficient my (major market) station was run. I wondered aloud how much money this company was making, that it could function profitably.

No, the condition this company is in today is squarely on the shoulders of upper management.

Studies show workers that value maintaining their employment are more productive than ones that don’t. Stagnant wages increase turnover and lower productivity. Is your contention that lower wages increase productivity? Do you believe a 10% decrease in wages would increase productivity or do you believe the two aren’t linked in any way?

The step progression plan was the companies idea… not ours. All anybody at this company has ever wanted is a consistent path to top rate. And for the company to budget for that increase instead of seeing what’s left over every October. You seem to think frontline hourly morale is irrelevant to profit. I can tell you first hand that when the company gives me a garbage 2%-3% increase, I intentionally slow down. I don’t relabel bad dates. Paper airbills may or may not get pulled. Nothing is getting Saturday or First Overnight stickers. I take longer on the clock breaks. Fedex Ground packages sat in my Express dropbox for months. I don’t turn in fuel receipts. I’m late getting back to the building. Etc… basically I couldn’t care less about the operation. And ops managment doesn’t even notice because most of them are right there with me. Giving me the raise the company was dumb enough to tease me with is incredibly valuable for this place if they want to maintain standards. If not, well even better. Job gets easier and easier every October.

It’s not the employees that are inefficient, it’s Fedex policies, procedures, and decisions. Fedex just built a 38 million dollar station in my town of 60,000 people to “combine “ Express and Ground. All the trucks are parked inside. We pay to heat it in the winter and cool it in the summer (yes, the warehouse as well). It’s huge. Tons of lights, cameras, etc. The UPS facility is a tiny little strip of a building that has been there forever. It’s just big enough for one belt to run down the center. Trucks are all parked outside. Cheap, efficient. We go to a stop and scan every stupid package, even if there are hundreds of them. UPS rolls up and scans a cons tag and throws it all in their truck. And then there is the little issue of Fedex sending two drivers to every regular stop for the last 30 or so years instead of just sending one. Fedex is sooooo inefficient ! These are just a few examples. There is plenty of money to be found to pay employees better, Fedex just doesn’t care to look for it. Frankly, they don’t have to. If we were union you’d better believe they would find the money to pay us!

This is like Christmas!

It will be fine

Sounds like bad management to me. If you only give a raise and do nothing to demand more productivity or manage the workers to get higher productivity that’s a management problem. Higher wages tied to increased job scrutiny to get higher productivity is how it works. The workers value their job more with higher wages and work harder to keep it. If you only give them money and expect them to magically produce more then you can’t be surprised when magic isn’t real. It’s not surprising that workers claim they are at their max output that doesn’t mean that’s true.

vantexan

Sounds like bad management to me. If you only give a raise and do nothing to demand more productivity or manage the workers to get higher productivity that’s a management problem. Higher wages tied to increased job scrutiny to get higher productivity is how it works. The workers value their job more with higher wages and work harder to keep it. If you only give them money and expect them to magically produce more then you can’t be surprised when magic isn’t real. It’s not surprising that workers claim they are at their max output that doesn’t mean that’s true.
I was a domiciled courier in a remote area during a push to get more sales leads. In spite of pushing me to have no OT in an area where I routinely drove 320-400 miles a day, with very little business and no pickup service, they still insisted I somehow find sales leads. Sometimes management is just stupid. Same area where they took a large chunk of my area away from me to keep me from getting OT, drove me under 35 hrs, questioned why I wasn't getting under 35 when I had the entire area, and said having the entire area shouldn't matter. Seriously some managers are just stupid but are like a dog going after a bone when they get their orders from above. I've had mgrs give me more work than could possibly be done and told me to figure it out. But the Dano's of the world will tell us management is in that position because they're intellectually superior to couriers. Crazy company.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

YOU are leaving out something important. Increased productivity is not simply the result of employees working harder. Increased efficiency is the result of processes being improved that assist the employee by streamlining their workload. One small example was (finally) the addition of address barcodes, eliminating typing and the time it took, ntm errors eliminated. Residential release was a major productivity improvement. These changes depend upon management/engineers, not couriers.

I think you are placing the blame on the wrong group.

vantexan

YOU are leaving out something important. Increased productivity is not simply the result of employees working harder. Increased efficiency is the result of processes being improved that assist the employee by streamlining their workload. One small example was (finally) the addition of address barcodes, eliminating typing and the time it took, ntm errors eliminated. Residential release was a major productivity improvement. These changes depend upon management/engineers, not couriers.

I think you are placing the blame on the wrong group.
Had a senior mgr come to my station to watch over it while my senior mgr was away. Showed us a better way to unload containers. Was more efficient, didn't put as much strain on us, got the sort done faster. Asked me what I thought of it. Told him it was great but likely our senior wouldn't allow it when he got back. Sure enough my senior noticed and told us that isn't policy and do it the old way. Some in management get it, some don't. Some would rather CYA in case something goes wrong and they are asked why wasn't that done according to policy?

One day at a time

That isn't what I said. I said that better pay will not increase productivity.

To a degree. And to be fair, the employees got what they demanded.
I think it would because there would be far less turn over. There for more employees would know more routes there for better performance And productivity.

zeev

FedEx Ground does not pay enough to keep anybody in my area, Ground is not ready to takeover but they will still do it. Fred and Raj are already heading to the exits.

Aquaman

We get it, you're lazy.
This company has to buy my work ethic. It’s for sale. You seem to think a good raise doesn’t make an employee more productive. But that’s not how it works. The company has to increase my pay every single year if they want the same base level of productivity out of me…. Why? Because my grocery bill goes up every year. I pay more at the pump every year. My health insurance goes up every year. FedEx owes me a ton of money in lost wages from less than decent raises. So in return I owe this company nothing. This company bought itself a workforce that doesn’t care. I’ll continue to throw these sense aware tags in the trash, and go back to my $50 nap I was taking. Thanks FedEx.

yadig

Yes we do. Your market got a raise of more than 10% with the $3 premium. It made no difference in productivity or anything else aside from slowing down overall turnover.
Completely not true. We are horribly managed and it all starts in that corner office. What happened to our engineers? Crickets..