Pilot strike

MAKAVELI

I said it makes the company more valuable. Don't move the goalposts.

But since you brought it up, taking on a huge recurring payroll expense doesn't make the company better or more productive going forward.
UPS has been doing it for more than 100 years and they aren't going bankrupt.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We sell service. The value of this company is literally its workforce. How valuable is a company that doesn’t care about its employees, and in return its employees don’t care about the service? Maybe from your desk this company doesn’t suck. But if you listened to the majority of hourly employees, the ones actually providing the service and not just looking at it through a computer screen, you’d realize this company is already dead.
I can listen to everyone and his brother and I can look at actual data (I prefer to do plenty of both). Guess which one is more reliable?

El Morado Diablo

I said it makes the company more valuable. Don't move the goalposts.

But since you brought it up, taking on a huge recurring payroll expense doesn't make the company better or more productive going forward.

I don't believe I said you should spend all that money on employees.

It's not as though we have the latest computer systems, scanners, printers, vehicles, etc.. We should be putting money into those things too. I guess putting up a bunch of "Miles Ahead" posters in the breakrooms makes people think we are spending an adequate amount of money on those things.

yadig

OK, so how much more productive do FedEx employees get per 10% increase in pay?
We’ll never know goobar!!! They cringe at a 3% raise. This cheap labor idea will eventually get rid of all the good workers and eventually fold. I just hope it takes 10-20 years, I wanna milk them for all I can!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I disagree with your contention that the employees prevented the company from being more productive. It wasn’t the hourlies that were myopic and decided that a less than efficient system of operating was necessary to prevent a unionized workforce.

Coming from a business background, my first year with FedEx I was amazed at how terribly inefficient my (major market) station was run. I wondered aloud how much money this company was making, that it could function profitably.

No, the condition this company is in today is squarely on the shoulders of upper management.

It will be fine

Studies show workers that value maintaining their employment are more productive than ones that don’t. Stagnant wages increase turnover and lower productivity. Is your contention that lower wages increase productivity? Do you believe a 10% decrease in wages would increase productivity or do you believe the two aren’t linked in any way?

yadig

Studies show workers that value maintaining their employment are more productive than ones that don’t. Stagnant wages increase turnover and lower productivity. Is your contention that lower wages increase productivity? Do you believe a 10% decrease in wages would increase productivity or do you believe the two aren’t linked in any way?
I think dano and Fatz will never get it

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We sell service. The value of this company is literally its workforce. How valuable is a company that doesn’t care about its employees, and in return its employees don’t care about the service? Maybe from your desk this company doesn’t suck. But if you listened to the majority of hourly employees, the ones actually providing the service and not just looking at it through a computer screen, you’d realize this company is already dead.
That’s one of the major problems with the company. Seems like everything is looked at and determined through a computer screen, flowcharts or graphs. The upper management who probably never lifted a box, not surprisingly is so out of touch with the real world

yadig

That’s one of the major problems with the company. Seems like everything is looked at and determined through a computer screen, flowcharts or graphs. The upper management who probably never lifted a box, not surprisingly is so out of touch with the real world
You’d have to ask dano

It will be fine

I think dano and Fatz will never get it
I think they are just out of touch with workers that live paycheck to paycheck. To them a 10% increase in pay wouldn’t change their lifestyle at all or make them more prone to stay at their job. It would have that effect on the average hourly employee though.

Aquaman

The step progression plan was the companies idea… not ours. All anybody at this company has ever wanted is a consistent path to top rate. And for the company to budget for that increase instead of seeing what’s left over every October. You seem to think frontline hourly morale is irrelevant to profit. I can tell you first hand that when the company gives me a garbage 2%-3% increase, I intentionally slow down. I don’t relabel bad dates. Paper airbills may or may not get pulled. Nothing is getting Saturday or First Overnight stickers. I take longer on the clock breaks. Fedex Ground packages sat in my Express dropbox for months. I don’t turn in fuel receipts. I’m late getting back to the building. Etc… basically I couldn’t care less about the operation. And ops managment doesn’t even notice because most of them are right there with me. Giving me the raise the company was dumb enough to tease me with is incredibly valuable for this place if they want to maintain standards. If not, well even better. Job gets easier and easier every October.

Gone fishin

The step progression plan was the companies idea… not ours. All anybody at this company has ever wanted is a consistent path to top rate. And for the company to budget for that increase instead of seeing what’s left over every October. You seem to think frontline hourly morale is irrelevant to profit. I can tell you first hand that when the company gives me a garbage 2%-3% increase, I intentionally slow down. I don’t relabel bad dates. Paper airbills may or may not get pulled. Nothing is getting Saturday or First Overnight stickers. I take longer on the clock breaks. Fedex Ground packages sat in my Express dropbox for months. I don’t turn in fuel receipts. I’m late getting back to the building. Etc… basically I couldn’t care less about the operation. And ops managment doesn’t even notice because most of them are right there with me. Giving me the raise the company was dumb enough to tease me with is incredibly valuable for this place if they want to maintain standards. If not, well even better. Job gets easier and easier every October.
Did the same thing , people are too dumb too understand this

fdxsux

It’s not the employees that are inefficient, it’s Fedex policies, procedures, and decisions. Fedex just built a 38 million dollar station in my town of 60,000 people to “combine “ Express and Ground. All the trucks are parked inside. We pay to heat it in the winter and cool it in the summer (yes, the warehouse as well). It’s huge. Tons of lights, cameras, etc. The UPS facility is a tiny little strip of a building that has been there forever. It’s just big enough for one belt to run down the center. Trucks are all parked outside. Cheap, efficient. We go to a stop and scan every stupid package, even if there are hundreds of them. UPS rolls up and scans a cons tag and throws it all in their truck. And then there is the little issue of Fedex sending two drivers to every regular stop for the last 30 or so years instead of just sending one. Fedex is sooooo inefficient ! These are just a few examples. There is plenty of money to be found to pay employees better, Fedex just doesn’t care to look for it. Frankly, they don’t have to. If we were union you’d better believe they would find the money to pay us!

FedupExpress

98% of couriers, only 2% have purple blood and would take a bullet for Pakistani Raj

MAKAVELI

Raj and Little Dickey agree with you.
Yep, nothing to see here.

zeev

Fat Freddy and Raj taking advantage of stock buy backs which temporarily push the stock higher company being dismantled in real time. Watch what they do not what they say.