Pinewood Derby Racing

705red

Browncafe Steward
M son has decided that he wants to make his derby car into Sponge Bob. Pleas pray for us!

Should be interesting!

bbsam

Staff member
My son and I were recently invited to participate in a derby. We each have a car to design. I just hope I can be competitive with him. We've taught him that when he wins he should say, "Good game thanks for playing." He says the words, but the sheer delight he take in conquest is a little disturbing. Kinda reminds me of someone...LOL.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Square pants = more wind resistance = slower car
We worked out the plans last night and he suggested to cutting it in a wedge still. He has come up with the design himself on paper, now we have to put it to the wood.

I am amazed with his imagination and we have decided to do it by hand with hand tools. No power tools! Hes getting all the supplies that we need and setting up right now. Im taking pictues to record the progress.

DIZZEE youare amazing, how do you find this? We looked at a couple last night and went to the Sponge Bob fan website and took some pictures to use.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This one is almost what he came up with
sponge-bob-square-pants.gif

705red

Browncafe Steward
M son has decided that he wants to make his derby car into Sponge Bob. Pleas pray for us!

Should be interesting!
We have completed the body of his Sponge Bob, still working on the wheels. I am amazed at my sons imagination! He create this design himself and did most of the work. I did the sawing, but the wood filing, sanding, painting, and wood accessories were done by him.

Im in no rush to put the wheels on because he cant wait to play with it, I dont want it to break before the race. Did any of you put weights in your cars?

I went out and bought a block to because I really wanted him to do his as much as he can. So when he wanted me to do something that he could do, I told him I was working on my car. Im building a UPS race car and I to am almost finished. Heres some pictures of his car.
Brandons sbongebob 002.jpg
Brandons sbongebob 001.jpg
brandons songebob 001.jpg
brandons spongebob 001.jpg

705red

Browncafe Steward
We have completed the body of his Sponge Bob, still working on the wheels. I am amazed at my sons imagination! He create this design himself and did most of the work. I did the sawing, but the wood filing, sanding, painting, and wood accessories were done by him.

Im in no rush to put the wheels on because he cant wait to play with it, I dont want it to break before the race. Did any of you put weights in your cars?

I went out and bought a block to because I really wanted him to do his as much as he can. So when he wanted me to do something that he could do, I told him I was working on my car. Im building a UPS race car and I to am almost finished. Heres some pictures of his car.

This pictures were crooked so I tried to fix them, this is the best I can do.
brandons songebob 001.jpg
Brandons sbongebob 002.jpg
Brandons sbongebob 001.jpg

rushfan

That's cool! Sponge Bob. I wish I was that creative. Last year, I spent some time working on the axles (nails) thinking it would help. I think it did. We, I mean my sons, didn't come in first. We, rather my sons, are going to go for a thin wedge design.

Do those kits that shave the wheels to make sure they are perfectly round work?

705red

Browncafe Steward
705 Jr. did a nice job. I'd recognize SpongeBob Wedgepants anywhere. :wink2:
The judges thought so to. He won 3rd place for design out of 28 racers in his division. His car was not the fastest by far. He took 3rd place and 4th place in his 4 races. He averaged 3.9 seconds and the overall winner averaged 3.5 seconds. His car was middle of the pack for time. He was so sad when he didnt take 1st in a race, but I reminded him how much time we spent making the car and how much fun it was.

I had a feeling he would place for design so I had the camcorder going and the smile on his face was priceless. It means alot to me that he won since he did most of the work himself. So many cars you could tell where done by the fathers. After seeing my sons face after losing the race I can see why. The kid that won 1st came in dead last, last year. The car was perfect, obviously not done by him.

My car was to back heavy, I led every race on the slope but lost the lead on the flat straight away. Next year my son wants to win for racing. We will see!

Look at his cheesy smile!

More pictures

DSCF4619.jpg
DSCF4620.jpg
DSCF4598.jpg

Last edited: