Pit bull!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Some of the best dogs that I had as a kid were the Heinz 57 (mutts).
Agreed.
100_0660.jpg I only had one full blooded doby, and I got her from a neighbor who didnt want her anymore.
Bluebelle is pure doberman but AKC does not recognize her because she is white. Talk about discrimination.
100_0660.jpg

Hubrat98

Because not everyone wants that particular breed that is found at the shelter. I have pure bred Australian Shepherds, that are great with the family. I am also a responsible owner in that if you see my dogs, you'll see me. That being said, those are very nice pictures, Hubrat.:happy2:

I can understand if you're looking for a specific breed that can't be found in a shelter. I was referring more to "unwanted" breeds like pits. It kills me when someone says they're BUYING a pit bull puppy. So many of them are put down every day that it makes no sense to buy a (pit bull) puppy from a breeder.

Upstate, Mutts can be the best tempered dogs because the breed traits of purebreds are muted in the mixed gene-pool of the mutt. A purebred Retriever really wants to retrieve, but if there are genes from other breeds present in a dog this primary trait is tempered.

Did you know that the APBT scores higher (85.3) with American Temperment Testing Society than the Golden Retriever (84.6) and the Australian Shepherd (80.0)? :wink2: The average for all breeds is 81.9.

W

westsideworma

Not looking to start a fight with a fellow dog lover but "Bully Breeds" are breeds that originated with the Bulldog. Obviously, the English and American Bulldogs are bully breeds but the others are the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier), and the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). The AmStaff and APBT are American breeds and are essentially the same. The reason for the different names between the two is because back in the early to mid 1900's the American Kennel Club wouldn't accept dogs with "pit" in their name due to the fighting connotation. To get around this problem breeders came up with the name American Staffordshire Terrier and registered APBT's with the AKC. The United Kennel Club was created shortly thereafter solely to register APBT's, forever separating the breeds. Most "pit bulls" in American shelters are called AmStaffs when trying to be placed because the word "pit" can immediately turn an otherwise rational person away from adopting a deserving dog.

BTW. I have a 4 year-old rescued APBT that is 50 pounds of pure muscle and love. Why buy a dog when there are so many out there in need of a good home/owner? As a pit bull owner you have to put the breed in a good light. That means always keeping him leashed in public, never bringing him to a dog park, keeping a close eye on him around children, and being VERY careful around unfamiliar dogs.

Thats a good lookin dog hubrat

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I can understand if you're looking for a specific breed that can't be found in a shelter. I was referring more to "unwanted" breeds like pits. It kills me when someone says they're BUYING a pit bull puppy. So many of them are put down every day that it makes no sense to buy a (pit bull) puppy from a breeder.

Upstate, Mutts can be the best tempered dogs because the breed traits of purebreds are muted in the mixed gene-pool of the mutt. A purebred Retriever really wants to retrieve, but if there are genes from other breeds present in a dog this primary trait is tempered.

Did you know that the APBT scores higher (85.3) with American Temperment Testing Society than the Golden Retriever (84.6) and the Australian Shepherd (80.0)? :wink2: The average for all breeds is 81.9.
That's only because they are single minded. For instance, my dogs will fetch a, well basically anything I want them to, until I stop telling them to fetch, or they die. That, my friend, is a devoted dog. May I add that because we have trained them to be a part of the family, they also are great babysitters. The children climb all over them and they never let the stray to far from the yard. If they were pits, we'd have to pry their jaws off of Johnny and Susie's pants, everytime they retrieved em, LOL.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When it comes to pit bulls....you either love them or hate them. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground
I like a pure breed, not because it's uppity, but because I want to know exactly what I'm getting with no surprises.

I've got a toy Manchester terrier.......door bell rings and she barks like crazy....no surprises there. Her breed has certain characteristics and she has them all just like they were described on the AKC page.

I know it's very "green" right now to rescue dogs from shelters, but I think they should come with a one month trial period. That way, when you find out you got a psycho bitch, you can give her back.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When it comes to pit bulls....you either love them or hate them. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground
I like a pure breed, not because it's uppity, but because I want to know exactly what I'm getting with no surprises.

I've got a toy Manchester terrier.......door bell rings and she barks like crazy....no surprises there. Her breed has certain characteristics and she has them all just like they were described on the AKC page.

I know it's very "green" right now to rescue dogs from shelters, but I think they should come with a one month trial period. That way, when you find out you got a psycho bitch, you can give her back.
Agreed! Even though most of the dogs at the humane society are probably pretty good dogs, their also probably not trained properly, which is why they ended up there in the first place. If people would spend the amount of time with their pets, and for that matter families, we may see a lot fewer things thrown away.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's only because they are single minded. For instance, my dogs will fetch a, well basically anything I want them to, until I stop telling them to fetch, or they die. That, my friend, is a devoted dog. May I add that because we have trained them to be a part of the family, they also are great babysitters. The children climb all over them and they never let the stray to far from the yard. If they were pits, we'd have to pry their jaws off of Johnny and Susie's pants, everytime they retrieved em, LOL.

You named one of your daughters Johnny?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That's only because they are single minded. For instance, my dogs will fetch a, well basically anything I want them to, until I stop telling them to fetch, or they die. That, my friend, is a devoted dog. May I add that because we have trained them to be a part of the family, they also are great babysitters. The children climb all over them and they never let the stray to far from the yard. If they were pits, we'd have to pry their jaws off of [-]Johnny[/-] Sally and Susie's pants, everytime they retrieved em, LOL.

You named one of your daughters Johnny?
LOL, SA! Johnny Mae, we're in the south, remember?:wink2:

Hubrat98

Single-mindedness or "gameness" is the pits forte. That's why fighting dogs will continue to go after another dog even when they can barely walk. It's also where people get the misconception that pits have "locking jaws". It's not that the jaws lock, it's that the dog doesn't want to let go. It's also the scariest trait of the breed. Strong jaws + not wanting to let go = potential big time trouble. Luckily, human aggression has mostly been bred out of APBTs. When the dogs were fought the human handlers were in the ring with the dogs to separate them when needed. If the dogs turned and attacked the handlers they were put down and their genes weren't passed to the next generation.

In WWI a pit bull named Stubby earned the rank of Sgt. while serving in 17 battles. He earned the Purple Heart among other medals. http://www.governorsfootguard.com/stubby/

Needless to say, I am in the group that loves "pit bulls".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Saw another story in the paper about a Pit Bull that bit a mailman and he had to have part of his thigh removed due to an infection. I believe it was in Oregon. It's like the show about these people that have Tigers and Panthers as pets. Pit Bulls are bred a certain way and I don't trust them. Fire away!:biting:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Saw another story in the paper about a Pit Bull that bit a mailman and he had to have part of his thigh removed due to an infection. I believe it was in Oregon. It's like the show about these people that have Tigers and Panthers as pets. Pit Bulls are bred a certain way and I don't trust them. Fire away!:biting:

It wasnt a mailman, it was a police officer serving a warrant at a drug house.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Pits, just like every dog from ankle biters to mastiffs, are a product of how they are raised. To say that one breed is bad because of the breed itself is just plain assinine.:biting: