Please Help me guys!

tieguy

Banned
Favre49,

Get your Dyslexia throughly diagnosed and documented on paper by your doctor.

File a grievance to invoke this clause in the Contract:

Check the rest of the Contract, and your Supplement too.

Visit this website and read all about your rights and how to invoke them:
http://www.ada.gov/

It's interesting that it was UPS that forced the issue by claiming you can't do your job to their satisfaction. This, and your dyslexia, puts you in a perfect position to invoke your right to an accomodation under the ADA.

1)what reasonable accomadation will he be asking for? one hour over, two hours over? 58 bucks a day for the life of his career would not be defined as a reasonable accomadation.

2) This person apparently qualifed in delivery four years ago. Did the onset of dyslexia suddenly occur when management started locking him in on performance?

A rush to excuse often leaves logic behind.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
1)what reasonable accomadation will he be asking for? one hour over, two hours over? 58 bucks a day for the life of his career would not be defined as a reasonable accomadation.

2) This person apparently qualifed in delivery four years ago. Did the onset of dyslexia suddenly occur when management started locking him in on performance?

Therefore, don't use that excuse. Do your job, by the book "as you always have."

rod

Retired 22 years

Everything I have ever heard about tha ADA tells me that $$$$$ don't mean squat. Many a ma and pa business has been forced to close their doors because they couldn't afford to put in automatic doors, handi-cap accessible rest rooms, wheelchair ramps, wider doors and the list goes on and on just to comply with the ADA. I'm not saying it is right or wrong- just that $58 bucks a day is nothing when it comes to government regulations and I'm sure it would be defined as "a reasonable accomadation".

JonFrum

A mild to moderate disability would be fixed in the existing job. A bigger disability would be fixed by a transfer to a different job. Each case is handled individually.

Maybe the package car interior lighting would have to actually illuminate the interior. Maybe the ink cartridge on the printers that print the PAL labels would have to be changed more often so the labels are more readable. Maybe the Time Study is wrong (!!!) and the Company would be told to not enforce an unreasonable standard. Maybe a different route, or different supervisor, or different package car, or different start time, or different preloader would do the trick. Maybe certain problem labels could be highlighted by the preloader to give Fave49 a heads-up that they are on-car. Maybe the EDD/PAS system could be corrected where needed so it's the way it should have been from the outset. Maybe being at the low end of a production standard is OK after all, and not grounds for termination. Like being a C-minus student in school, (which most Dyslexics probably were.)

I could go on. Come to think of it, maybe these accomodations should be implement for everyone, not just those who formally qualify under the ADA. Maybe we need better Management?

Even if it costs UPS money, UPS must make an accomodation for a qualifying worker. The Law is clear. The goal is to keep people working. Small businesses can claim that expensive accomodations would be a hardship, but UPS can't invoke that clause.

No. He said he has been two hours over all along.

Though being overly supervised may make his condition worse, just like you hated it when the teacher stopped and stood behind you as you took your math test in school. It's distracting and intimidating.

I work with a guy who has a Job Of Accomodation because of Dyslexia and his gets worse when they harrass him.

JonFrum

Everything I have ever heard about tha ADA tells me that $$$$$ don't mean squat. Many a ma and pa business has been forced to close their doors because they couldn't afford to put in automatic doors, handi-cap accessible rest rooms, wheelchair ramps, wider doors and the list goes on and on just to comply with the ADA. I'm not saying it is right or wrong- just that $58 bucks a day is nothing when it comes to government regulations and I'm sure it would be defined as "a reasonable accomadation".
Rod, please read this Q&A on the ADA . . .
http://www.ada.gov/q&aeng02.htm

drewed

Shankman
HAHAHAHAHA thats quiet possibly the funniest thing Ive seen all year....i cant change my screename....but i may have to make it my title ;)

diesel96

We have a guy that could do it. Ran 5 hours under many times. Now he has his own route and runs about 3 hours under.

Now this type of underage should be investigated more-so than a driver suffering from "aixelsyd".
Our center had one of these speed-demons as well, witness accounts had him working way before start time, speeding in neighborhoods with the bulk door wide open, sloppy DR's, skimming high volume Feeder pick-up accounts, numerous customer concerns and complaints, excessive send agains...etc etc And get this, two tier III accidents, and he's still working for UPS....Does this suggest "numbers" trumps proper methods, quality service, and liability? Makes you want to say "Hmmm"

redshift1

Ive been driving for 4 years now, they did a 3 day lock in with me this past week. They have not time studied these routes in years im normally 2 hours over everyday. So the first day they road with me i did methods all day yea i messed up on some, but for the most part did ok (still went over 2 1/2 hours). Next day im in the office with the road sup and center manager said i was overlooking packages in the truck to work slower threating my job and so forth. I have Dyslexia a learning disability do not comprehend as fast as others should i file on this as being picked on and humiliatied???? thank you

How was your performance on other routes assuming you have driven utility. How do other drivers perform when they run your route. How did you make it through pre-seniority with a learning disability. We have trained employees with disabilities in the past and everyone went in knowing the situation and these people were given additional training. Tread carefully you don't want to get yourself disqualfied from driving.

tieguy

Banned

reasonable accomadation is a vague term but ups saying the guy is costing them two hours a day will not fly as a reasonable accomadation.

tieguy

Banned
A mild to moderate disability would be fixed in the existing job. A bigger disability would be fixed by a transfer to a different job. Each case is handled individually.

Maybe the package car interior lighting would have to actually illuminate the interior. Maybe the ink cartridge on the printers that print the PAL labels would have to be changed more often so the labels are more readable. Maybe the Time Study is wrong (!!!) and the Company would be told to not enforce an unreasonable standard. Maybe a different route, or different supervisor, or different package car, or different start time, or different preloader would do the trick. Maybe certain problem labels could be highlighted by the preloader to give Fave49 a heads-up that they are on-car. Maybe the EDD/PAS system could be corrected where needed so it's the way it should have been from the outset. Maybe being at the low end of a production standard is OK after all, and not grounds for termination. Like being a C-minus student in school, (which most Dyslexics probably were.)

I could go on. Come to think of it, maybe these accomodations should be implement for everyone, not just those who formally qualify under the ADA. Maybe we need better Management?

Even if it costs UPS money, UPS must make an accomodation for a qualifying worker. The Law is clear. The goal is to keep people working. Small businesses can claim that expensive accomodations would be a hardship, but UPS can't invoke that clause.

No. He said he has been two hours over all along.

Though being overly supervised may make his condition worse, just like you hated it when the teacher stopped and stood behind you as you took your math test in school. It's distracting and intimidating.

I work with a guy who has a Job Of Accomodation because of Dyslexia and his gets worse when they harrass him.

I guarantee you the guy did not qualify running two hours over. If the dyslexia issue did not come up until we tried to hold him accountable for his performance then he will have a lot of explaining to do.

I never ran scratch or better the whole time I was gaining seniority, not one day. I don't remember how much over I was, pretty sure it was not 2 hours.
What everyone is missing, seems to me to be obvious is the fact that with a sup riding with him, he was still 2 hours over. Right? The only thing the sup wrote him up for was too much time spent looking for packages and not remembering his next three stops. Right? Are they saying he is wasting two hours a day looking for misplaced boxes? I find that pretty hard to believe, especially when a sup is on car. I think there is probably at least an hour a day over due to crappy allowances. That's an amount someone without a reading disability can over come by runnin' & gunnin', but a person shouldn't have to overcome a flaw in the allowances.

I too have a reading disability that makes me have to re-read things, it isn't a constant problem but it has always slowed me down in reading. Mine deals with the switching of numbers mainly, but sometimes with letters also. One learns to adapt if it isn't too serious. I had been working for UPS for a few years by the time I even heard of dyslexia, I have never been officially diagnosed, I just know what happens when I read. Fatigue can make it worse.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Arent PAL labels thermals?

Yes, but could use a bigger font for the address, as the driver doesn't go by seq numbers.

Hey Drewed, your screen name should be Cactus. Because once again your such a prick, to anyone with a question!!

Very good, LOL.

HAHAHAHAHA thats quiet possibly the funniest thing Ive seen all year....i cant change my screename....but i may have to make it my title ;)

How about, LiLCactus?

Yes they are, but the print heads still need to be cleaned. Our labels are starting to come out jacked and we have to ask them to clean them so the preloaders can see the info clearly.

And at the same time, maybe the pre-loaders should be checked for aixelsyd and get regular eye exams.

Now this type of underage should be investigated more-so than a driver suffering from "aixelsyd".
Our center had one of these speed-demons as well, witness accounts had him working way before start time, speeding in neighborhoods with the bulk door wide open, sloppy DR's, skimming high volume Feeder pick-up accounts, numerous customer concerns and complaints, excessive send agains...etc etc And get this, two tier III accidents, and he's still working for UPS....Does this suggest "numbers" trumps proper methods, quality service, and liability? Makes you want to say "Hmmm"

Absolutely, Arsenio!

How was your performance on other routes assuming you have driven utility. How do other drivers perform when they run your route. How did you make it through pre-seniority with a learning disability. We have trained employees with disabilities in the past and everyone went in knowing the situation and these people were given additional training. Tread carefully you don't want to get yourself disqualfied from driving.

Very true! Don't start the disability defense now because you'll be "that disabled driver", for life.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I never ran scratch or better the whole time I was gaining seniority, not one day. I don't remember how much over I was, pretty sure it was not 2 hours.
What everyone is missing, seems to me to be obvious is the fact that with a sup riding with him, he was still 2 hours over. Right? The only thing the sup wrote him up for was too much time spent looking for packages and not remembering his next three stops. Right? Are they saying he is wasting two hours a day looking for misplaced boxes? I find that pretty hard to believe, especially when a sup is on car. I think there is probably at least an hour a day over due to crappy allowances. That's an amount someone without a reading disability can over come by runnin' & gunnin', but a person shouldn't have to overcome a flaw in the allowances.

I too have a reading disability that makes me have to re-read things, it isn't a constant problem but it has always slowed me down in reading. Mine deals with the switching of numbers mainly, but sometimes with letters also. One learns to adapt if it isn't too serious. I had been working for UPS for a few years by the time I even heard of dyslexia, I have never been officially diagnosed, I just know what happens when I read. Fatigue can make it worse.

Our main training route had 20 LBX's at the end, just to make sure the driver ran under. Each box had a 7 minute time allowance.