Please help out a fellow UPS'er

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
***UPDATE***

I was a poster here years ago and they deactivated my account due to inactivity, so I had to use my facebook account to login. The site I set up is at GoFundMe, it's like the Kickstarter of family donation crowdsource funding. We have already raised $1,085 for his families expenses as of this post. We are package drivers in Hermiston Oregon (Local 670). He called our boss last Thursday Jan 30th complaining of a pain in his leg that moved from his hip to his thigh. They sent a backup driver out to relieve him and he went to our local hospital concerned it may be a blood clot. They checked him out and told him it wasn't a clot, and sent him home saying it was probably the flu (going around here). His wife took him to Kadlec Medical center in Richland WA on Sat Feb 1st because the pain was extreme and he was loopy. They determined it was a flesh eating drug resistant bacterial infection and life flighted him to Harborview in Seattle. He has had 4 surgeries already to save his leg already and it's day by day at the moment. His wife and baby boy need him to be home but it may be a long time before he can even come home, let alone deliver again. Meanwhile, she and his mother are trying to stay with him in Seattle and the cost is high.
I've got a couple of issues to address here.

You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information. This also means your full name cannot be used as your username or posted anywhere on our site.

For that reason I'm going to edit out the name of your post and ask that you please go to your account settings and change your username.

I was a poster here years ago and they deactivated my account due to inactivity, so I had to use my facebook account to login.

I'd also like you to please let me know why you say you had an account here that was deactivated due to inactivity. I'm the only one that could have done that, and I don't do that... If you could message me the username or if you don't remember that then any emails you may have used to register the account I'd like to look up your previous account.

Our rules specifically prohibit donation requests but I'd be willing to make an exception if you can prove to me that this situation is real and that the donations are going straight to the family. Please don't take this personally. Crowdfunding sites don't screen their users. They encourage everyone to create a page asking for donations because they keep 5%. They don't care, make up any story you want. Happens all the time.

How does it work?
GoFundMe makes it incredibly easy to raise money online for the things that matter to you most. In less than a minute, you'll be able to personalize your fundraising campaign and share it with the people in your life. In fact, over $190M has been raised by GoFundMe users just like you.

With GoFundMe, the money you collect goes directly to you. There are no deadlines or limits - each donation you receive is yours to keep. Raising money for yourself or a loved one has never been easier. Plus, we're here to help. GoFundMe will respond to your emails within 5 minutes during the day. Start raising money now >>

Packmule

Yes you can
Upstate and jump man, thanks for info. Also gingerkat. All of your input is appreciated. Will look into it. I'm an old guy with just a few years left id like to do if possible. Could leave today if necessary, so if DI rates aren't too high I judt might.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A fellow driver was in a horrific accident that injured his legs on company time. I sent money to him via paypal which is safe and secure.

Not sure if I'm sending anything to a kickstarter fund, I hope everything works out

gingerkat

With just a few years left (<5?) it may not be worth the investment.
No offense, but not just what upstate said, but you may not qualify depending on your health, etc. If you're serious, talk to your UPS pension plan first. Then find a licensed insurance agent/producer in your state (must have a license to talk insurance in every state!) to discuss options.

Good luck and more importantly good health!

barnyard

KTM rider
The dude that is injured, his family should contact United Way to see what assistance they offer. We contribute and they help in this type of situation.

oldngray

nowhere special
The dude that is injured, his family should contact United Way to see what assistance they offer. We contribute and they help in this type of situation.

One of drivers I used to work with was always promoting United Way and giving speeches about it in PCM's. But when he needed help for his son it was a case of forget you and thanks for your help anyway. Needless to say it soured him on United Way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of drivers I used to work with was always promoting United Way and giving speeches about it in PCM's. But when he needed help for his son it was a case of forget you and thanks for your help anyway. Needless to say it soured him on United Way.

To be fair, do you choose to donate to a charity on the off chance that you may have to use their services in the future?

We as UPSers are very fortunate with our industry leading wage and benefit package and should always try to do what we can to help those less fortunate, whether financially or with our time.

oldngray

nowhere special
To be fair, do you choose to donate to a charity on the off chance that you may have to use their services in the future?

We as UPSers are very fortunate with our industry leading wage and benefit package and should always try to do what we can to help those less fortunate, whether financially or with our time.

I donate to charities but United Way is not one I support. And the places I do donate to I don't expect anything in return.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I donate to charities but United Way is not one I support. And the places I do donate to I don't expect anything in return.

I donate to UW in part because of the 15% company match, which covers the administrative costs, but mostly because I can do it through payroll deduction, which allows me to donate more than if I were to write a single check. Yeah, I know I could write 52 checks, but payroll deduction is so much easier. 100% of my donation goes to our local hospice as I appreciate the work that they do with people nearing the end of their lives.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I donate every year to the American Red Cross. I stopped giving to the UW through ups because of management borderlining on harassment to get us to donate. I filled out the paperwork and chose not to donate....there's no need for upper management to come find me and tell me how I should spend my paycheck, and comment that I can afford it.

Last edited:
This whole thing sounds a little suspicious. Hi I am a new member, please send me money? It's ashame that we live in a world, where you are afraid to help someone, in fear of being scammed!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This whole thing sounds a little suspicious. Hi I am a new member, please send me money? It's ashame that we live in a world, where you are afraid to help someone, in fear of being scammed!
Yup...I thought the same thing. I feel bad for the driver that's in the hospital (I assume that part is true)....but definitely am wary of it being a scam. When guys get hurt or die in our building....we take up a collection.

barnyard

KTM rider

We have had the exact opposite happen here. I know of at least 4 UPSers that were given help and another that help was offered and he turned it down.

gingerkat

I admit I was a little a suspicious too. If I were to ask of donations of a coworker, I would start at my own center where people know him.

over9five

Staff member
We have had the exact opposite happen here. I know of at least 4 UPSers that were given help and another that help was offered and he turned it down.
I can only think of a couple cases. One was a preloader, divorced mother of three, who came into hard times. She was denied any assistance from UW, which pretty much soured the whole center on UW donations.

Another was a driver who lost everything when his house burnt down. I believe he got a check for $1000 from UW, and a matching check from the Local.