Pointless new drop boxes.

hypo hanna

In the past month they have put two new drop boxes on my route in places where customers aren't going to use them. My dispatcher tells me these decisions are coming out of Memphis (big surprise), and no one locally is being consulted. Last I heard it cost 2,000 to place a new one and that's before the driver goes to check it every day. These new boxes will never make back the cost of placement and we will eventually have to spends hundreds more to have them removed.
Is anyone else getting a bunch of new drop boxes or are they just picking on my station?
I'm so sick of this company bitching about how bad things are and we can't pay you what you deserve but we can sure waste money on stupid stuff like this.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
FedEx is changing it's brand name again to more appropriately reflect its current mission: - 'STUPID 'r US'

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Disp. asked us to submit suggestions as to where to place drop boxes.
I didn't bother suggesting anything. Why work more?

Nolimitz

We were asked to identify locations w/ UPS boxes that did not have a FE box. One spot on my rte, left nameless. It is a dead zone to say the least. And why in heavens name is there a DB in front of every station that must be puped by a courier?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We have drop boxes in front of our centers which are picked up by the customer counter clerks.

Why did you guys have to pull drop boxes from in front of the Post Office?

We were told that drop boxes at Post Offices gave us an unfair advantage over UPS when the contract was up for renewal. Who knows what the truth is.....

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx dropboxes at USPS locations were just a waste of time and money.

Too many idiots putting mail in them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In the past month they have put two new drop boxes on my route in places where customers aren't going to use them. My dispatcher tells me these decisions are coming out of Memphis (big surprise), and no one locally is being consulted. Last I heard it cost 2,000 to place a new one and that's before the driver goes to check it every day. These new boxes will never make back the cost of placement and we will eventually have to spends hundreds more to have them removed.
Is anyone else getting a bunch of new drop boxes or are they just picking on my station?
I'm so sick of this company bitching about how bad things are and we can't pay you what you deserve but we can sure waste money on stupid stuff like this.

I suspect that FedEx is trying to save money by directing more customers to use DBs, which, of course, they won't, because there is little incentive to use them, especially since many don't have adequate supplies or as you note, are poorly placed.

hypo hanna

FedEx dropboxes at USPS locations were just a waste of time and money.

Too many idiots putting mail in them.
And too many idiots putting FedEx pkgs in USPS boxes. Now you would think the postal worker would put them in the fedex box when he found one. Instead they push them through their system or hold them for a few days before calling us to pick them up . I worked a ton of traces where that was the cause. Any fool could see that this would happen. Well anyone but the exceptional fools in Memphis.

CJinx

And too many idiots putting FedEx pkgs in USPS boxes. Now you would think the postal worker would put them in the fedex box when he found one. Instead they push them through their system or hold them for a few days before calling us to pick them up . I worked a ton of traces where that was the cause. Any fool could see that this would happen. Well anyone but the exceptional fools in Memphis.
We're guilty of this as well. I see it at least once or twice a month; a package that has a UPS/USPS label on it and someone in our system applies an 889 barcode to it. I don't understand the logic behind it; we as a company actually lose money by moving that package through our system for free and paying a contractor to deliver it, and intentionally causing a headache for the aforementioned organizations.

fedupforsure

one reason might be that they know stupid customers will drop their ground pkgs in there and we have to take them. why does ground not have drop boxes of their own?

Cactus

The post office is too above helping us out by bringing one of our packages to the dropboxes. They'd rather be lazy and call us. They won't lift a finger if they don't have to.

cancan

I make ground packages wait at least a week in a drop box. Usually they end up being picked up by a swing driver when I'm on vacation.

Sent using BrownCafe App

CJinx

I mean it isn't their job to make a special trip just to make your life easier; what we usually do is these boxes come back to the station and we'll call UPS/USPS and let them know they can come get it. If you happen to run an employee of the competition that's willing to take it off your hands, great; if not, you shouldn't be expected to go out of your way to solve the problem

If you(or they, too) choose to leave it in the dropbox to rot, well.. That just speaks to the content of your/their character.

Cactus

If you(or they, too) choose to leave it in the dropbox to rot, well.. That just speaks to the content of your/their character.
It ain't my job to do anything about it. You even said so. Besides I'm not authorized to handle mail.

Tell 'ya what, send Fred an email and tell him he's got a big problem with his business model and make sure you sign it. Have a great day!