Poll

Grievances filed over vending machine prices: valid or a waste of time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

705red

Browncafe Steward

you kept mentioning that the company set the prices. which one, ups or the vending company?

if it was ups that set the pricing, then yes you have a legit grievance. if it the vending company, then vote with your feet and dont buy their stuff.

so please clarify which company you are talking about.

for those of you that dont know, in many buildings if not all, ups gets a kickback from the vending companies that set their machines in place. so if the items have doubled, and if ups is price gouging, then we have the "company store" type issue.

d
Danny when i say the company i am talking about ups. I understand that if it were the vendor we wouldnt have much of a beef. I have not spent 1 dime in these machines since the change. Imagine paying buck for a cup of coffee that you paid 35 cents for.

Its not the hourlies only that are complaining alot of management is upset over it to, how do you think i was told that ups set the pricing?

The rumor mill says they raised the prices because we fell short on our united way contributions this year and this is how they will make up the difference.

I dont understand how some people say its a waste of resources! the union agents are salary and get paid to represent the contract. Even if the union loses what has been lost?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I dont understand how some people say its a waste of resources! the union agents are salary and get paid to represent the contract. Even if the union loses what has been lost?

red, many people made the assumption that the company you mentioned was the vending company, not ups. they jumped to the conclusion without having all the facts.

now, ups kicks out the former vendor, and brings in a new vendor. the new vendor sets the price on the machine that ups instructs them to do, knowing that they have a large group of employees that they can restrict as far as bringing in fluids and other food articles.

they then set a price that is double or more what the standard price has been in the past. the united way issue might be related, but is immaterial.

i guess legally they can do what they have done. but morally it is way out of bounds.

i agree, file and get the information out. im sure the people up the road dont have a clue.

the only other option if you dont get the prices back down, is to boycott the machines. and i mean no activity at all for 6 months or more if that is what it takes. serious solidarity.

as for the cretins that are using plugs, that is counter productive to the cause. they are actually hurting the cause instead of helping it.

while not covered under the contract, this type of behavior by the company is what the union is for.

d

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
705redI dont understand how some people say its a waste of resources! the union agents are salary and get paid to represent the contract. Even if the union loses what
has been lost?

Only more of our union dues getting wasted on crap. Wish we could get back all the union waste. Not counting all the lobbying with the government. Our dues would be no where close to what they are now.

705red

Browncafe Steward
705redI dont understand how some people say its a waste of resources! the union agents are salary and get paid to represent the contract. Even if the union loses what
has been lost?

Only more of our union dues getting wasted on crap. Wish we could get back all the union waste. Not counting all the lobbying with the government. Our dues would be no where close to what they are now.
If an agent draws a salary he/se gets paid to represent the members grievances, no grievance they still get paid, even though there will never be a shortage of grievances here.

Hows that $32 an hour job you have? pretty good, you received that by wasting your dues on the teamsters to negotiate that pay for ya. Even your screen name is due to the teamsters 10 2 go, are planning on retiring in the near future?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why not just boycott the machines and chip in with the other workers and bring in a cooler full of gatorade/water and snacks? You could buy a ton more fluids and healthier snacks this way. Talk to your wellness coordinator and he/she can arrange it for you.

705red

Browncafe Steward
That is a comapny run program here and ups will not allow us to distribute in the building.

However i already have a back up plan if this grievance is lost or ignored. Already have a group of drivers that have volunteered to file grievances for sups working ahen we catch them and we will stock up on gatorades that the comapny paid for and hand them out before the shifts start for a couple of mweeks to really hurt the sales.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Whoa! relax Red. All i was saying is there is too much waste. I don't care if the BA sits on his butt all day. Why, waste time on frivolous crap about vending machines. No, not for 10 more years anyway. If things get worse maybe longer.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why not just boycott the machines and chip in with the other workers and bring in a cooler full of gatorade/water and snacks? You could buy a ton more fluids and healthier snacks this way. Talk to your wellness coordinator and he/she can arrange it for you.

Have you ever tried to get a group of UPS employees to chip in on anything? It is next to impossible. A certain % will tell you they are broke, a certain % will say they don't believe in your cause and a certain % won't give you an answer one way or the other. I once (years ago) tried to collect $2.00 apiece from the gang (15 people) to buy a radio to listen to while we did the morning sort------ had to give that idea up. Same with throwing a couple of buck into a sympathy card----ya always had that group that would sign the card but not donate. :angry: Same ones would always leave when it was their turn to buy a round:angry:

705red

Browncafe Steward
The center must be running smooth. Nothing else to grieve?
Actually im sitting here filing 47 grievances for drivers that were in progression as of 8/1 that are not being paid the new progression pay.

Plenty of grievances to file, and i have never withdrawn one yet! Or lost one besides a termination here and there.

satellitedriver

I am a mid-century fossil, so maybe my point does not apply.
I brown bag it everyday. Breakfast sandwich and lunch , and I have done this all my working life, at many different jobs.
I buy gatorade powder and make my own. Pennies for a quart.
Jeez, you do not walk into a desert without a full canteen.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Your also a satelite route and probably have not been into your building in quite sometime.

I keep an igloo cooler thats big enough to hold 3 sases of cans in it, and i pick up what i need on route and store it in my truck, but once again this isnt about me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I brown bag it everyday. Breakfast sandwich and lunch , and I have done this all my working life, at many different jobs.

I pack 3 sandwiches and a gatorade, which tide me over till lunch. When I was on the preload I brought food in that I ate before start time and during break time. Have to keep fuel in your body and if the fuel is too expensive you shop elsewhere.

rod

Retired 22 years

Ya but you know kids today---they aren't happy unless they are spending 2 bucks on a friggin bottle of water that they could get out of the water cooler for free.

satellitedriver

Your also a satelite route and probably have not been into your building in quite sometime.

I keep an igloo cooler thats big enough to hold 3 sases of cans in it, and i pick up what i need on route and store it in my truck, but once again this isnt about me.
I did it when I worked in the coal mine, when I was a net maker, when I was a structural fitter, when I was a student.
It is about personal responsibility, not blaming others, for ones lack of planning to the situation they have chosen to be in.