Poll

Grievances filed over vending machine prices: valid or a waste of time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reydluap

Red.

I'll try not to wind you up this time. Seriously.

What I've read in this thread is about the same thing I pointed out to you on another thread. I do see you mean the best for your union pt'ers. But on THIS particular grievance, I don't agree with you. And here is why....

You say past practice aplies. I do see were you are trying to apply this Article, but it's really a far reach grasp that your reaching for. When I pointed out to you in Black and White in the contract book were it states they only HAVE to provide drinking water. That.(in my opinion) would trump your Gatorade complaint. UPS is providing what they have agreed to provide.
Now as to ASSUME the hear say about the United Way gossip. That won't hold water in any grievance.
Another thing, the vendor in my building just raised there prices in their machines (I don't use them, so I didn't go down this morning to look at prices). It wasn't caused by UPS. Like posted earlier, new machines cost money, the products in the machines cost more, and the person filling the machines makes more money now than years past. So, you can't expect the machine to stay at 1990 prices in todays world. How many times have YOU been on a route and here a customer use UPS at the scape goat for lost packages that were not shipped on time? So what is saying the Vendor isn't doing the same thing, using UPS as the scape goat?

Your area is different than mine...we both know that. But in my Center, a few phone calls up the chain of command and calm clear questions would have worked better than filing a grievance (IMHO).

One more thing , while I'm thinking of it, to answer your question on the other thread. Yes, years ago I was a Union Steward. In my Center, we all chose years ago to change the Union Steward responsibility every couple of years. You know the work involved.....kind of makes it so one person doesn't get burnt out, yet, if the current Steward is on Vacation, the Company doesn't walk on anyone because we all know the Contract.

See......I can post with out calling you "BOY".....LOL!!!

reydluap

I must say I am amazed that red has not been back to comment on the "poll" whipping that this greivance is getting.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Whats there to comment on? None of you are the ones that asked me to file and i do not represent any of you in the workplace. The employees in my workplace asked for the grievance to be filed and no poll on here is going to change that outcome!

LU710

I must say that I disagree with most of the posters on this thread. I don't at all think this grievance is a waste of time and I also think that quite possibly the grievance could be won based on the following ruling with the NLRB: E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co; 269 NLRB 24, 115 LRRM 1192(1982)

I think that a change in prices this large should've been bargained and discussed with the Union. Good Luck!!!