Poll

Grievances filed over vending machine prices: valid or a waste of time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sat

in many centers you are very limited as far as what you can bring into the building. being out on road, you have a lot different system to choose from. being in the building, you are stuck with what is available.

d

Mike Hawk

Our center raised prices and got new vendors too, my beef is that they went from Pepsi to Coke, no Mountain Dew cans for $.50, only 20 oz Sprite for $1.25.

About the grievance, it's not a contract issue so don't file a grievance. Boycott the machines, use some grievance money to buy some Gatorade and hand it out, but don't waste your BA's time with grieving non contractual issues.

Once upon a time, I worked for a vending company. We placed machines anywhere we could, most places we paid a commission to the owner to reimburse for the space and utilities, 10% of sales was the norm.
I actually set up the building I now work in with their bank of machines.(the ones I set up are long gone) At that time UPS elected to not take the commission to keep the prices down on the products, mainly soft drinks.
You can bet a dollar to a donut that UPS is the cause of the prices being doubled, just another way to screw the people that make them the money they crave.
I'm putting this on my list of reasons I can't wait to get out of UPS.

Upstate, why did you not tell the whole story when asking for the poll votes?

Our center raised prices and got new vendors too, my beef is that they went from Pepsi to Coke, no Mountain Dew cans for $.50, only 20 oz Sprite for $1.25.

About the grievance, it's not a contract issue so don't file a grievance. Boycott the machines, use some grievance money to buy some Gatorade and hand it out, but don't waste your BA's time with grieving non contractual issues.
Isn't fairness a contractual issue?

I am a mid-century fossil, so maybe my point does not apply.
I brown bag it everyday. Breakfast sandwich and lunch , and I have done this all my working life, at many different jobs.
I buy gatorade powder and make my own. Pennies for a quart.
Jeez, you do not walk into a desert without a full canteen.
When there is an oasis in the desert and you have no canteen, you begin to rely on the oasis.
Sat, people of our generation and place of origin were raised differently than todays youth, We should count ourselves lucky. I'm dang glad I had my parents and not me to rear me.lol

chev

Nightcrawler
Why not just boycott the machines and chip in with the other workers and bring in a cooler full of gatorade/water and snacks? You could buy a ton more fluids and healthier snacks this way. Talk to your wellness coordinator and he/she can arrange it for you.

My thoughts exactly. When I worked inside, I brought my own drink (usually a gallon jug of water) with me every night.
If you quit patronizing their machines, they will eventually get the idea.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Stop and think! If they pull the vending machines they will still get a grievance. And this would be a biggie. I call it retaliation for practicing union activities. How would you feel if UPS decided that they did need to provide ice anymore. Or better yet, we have to start feeding quarters into those ice machines. It's past practice. They have provided this service to the employees, they can't just take it away arbitrarily. And I agree with whoever said they don't need to make a profit off these machines. They already make a profit off our backs.

You're setting a precedent. Once it is place you will never get it back.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
dill

ups deserves to make a profit on the machines.

the problem is that they have the right to prohibit or restrict what you can bring into the building. and that is where the issue lies.

when the company can mandate or limit what you can bring into the building, you are left to use the resources that the company provides.

i always used the water fountain. but it seems that many people feel the need for the more costly products and that is ok.

where the rub lies is that the company got rid of one vendor, then brought in another that would implement its price gouging scheme.

so while it is not specifically covered under the contract, there is basis for the grievance.

of course like i said earlier, the most effective method would be to boycott the machines.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Danny, if I understand things correctly, they don't pay to have those machines in place and they get a percentage of the profits. The cost of the drink is wrapped up in the charge. So anything they make is a profit. They don't need to gouge us. We have high energy drinks that cost 2 dollars each. That I understand. Those are expensive. Sodas cost 75 cents for a 20 oz.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Danny when i say the company i am talking about ups. I understand that if it were the vendor we wouldnt have much of a beef. I have not spent 1 dime in these machines since the change. Imagine paying buck for a cup of coffee that you paid 35 cents for.

Its not the hourlies only that are complaining alot of management is upset over it to, how do you think i was told that ups set the pricing?

The rumor mill says they raised the prices because we fell short on our united way contributions this year and this is how they will make up the difference.

I dont understand how some people say its a waste of resources! the union agents are salary and get paid to represent the contract. Even if the union loses what has been lost?

This sounds like a case of "ron carey-idus". This by no means is a grievable action. The rumor cited is rediculous at best. Sounds like you are talking to the wrong management people.

Indeed, UPS gets a royalty for having ANY machines on the property, like the ATM macines in our hubs, maybe we should file a grievance over the high ATM fees, or we can just do what we do and not use them.

Prices are going up everywhere, these vendors are finding it more difficult to remain competitive in todays market because wholesale prices continue to rise every month.

In addition, more complex machines are being created and the vendors need to try and cover the cost of the new machines by raising prices.

In our hubs, we have the newest complex machines I've ever seen. Prices have gone up about .50 cents per item, but with what I make a year and the frequency that I use the machines, a couple of bucks doesnt bother me.

The grievance, should be handed back to you with a big red unhappy face on it, cause' thats all its worth.

Ron Carey would have grieved a toliet not flushing properly.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Simple-don't buy from them if you think the prices are unreasonable.

This is the easiest way to fix this problem. I don't pay $1.50 for a Gatorade when I can make it cheaper by mixing up the powder form myself at home in my reusable water bottle. I can get candy bars two for a dollar at the grocery store instead of $.80 out of the vending machine. My Hub changed venders a few months back and the prices were jacked up. A few summers back, UPS used to offset the price of Gatorade and Powerade in our machines. We paid $.50 a bottle instead of $1.25-1.50 like we do now.

gandydancer

...Ron Carey would have grieved a toliet not flushing properly.

Quite properly, if management didn't fix it. It's in the contract.

Vending machines aren't, but if the company is using the fact that the hourlys only have fifteen minutes to scarf up a snack to gouge them the hourlys are right to be angry about it. In the absence of a contract provision a grievance may not do more than raise awareness, but organizing work-to-rule and other ways of driving home the point that we don't have to do any more than the letter of what the contract calls for if management is screwing us is very much in order.

250px-Marie-Antoinette3B_koningin_d.jpg

Let Them Eat Cake

Cute-UPS-Man

You guys are all obviously smoking dope.

Let's take this to it's logical conclusion......

If there were NO VENDING MACHINES AT ALL, this would not be an issue.

How am I smoking dope? Are you telling me that I don't pay $.90 for a bottle of Gatorade? My only problem is when the vendors do not stay up to date on filling up the machines. I haven't filed a grievance about it. Relax man.

Cute-UPS-Man

Question if prices suck soooo much, why not go to costco where you can get like 32 gatorades for 12 bucks, or even at lowes you can get like 12 for 8?

I'm not complaining about paying $.90 for a bottle of Gatorade. I'm saying it sucks for him having to pay $2.00 for a bottle. I usually bring my own stuff to drink anyways. I have gone to Pubilx and bought 12 20oz. bottles for $8+ tax.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm not complaining about paying $.90 for a bottle of Gatorade. I'm saying it sucks for him having to pay $2.00 for a bottle. I usually bring my own stuff to drink anyways. I have gone to Pubilx and bought 12 20oz. bottles for $8+ tax.

You shouldn't be paying tax on food items, check your receipt.