Populist Indeed!

Maui

Not for nothing, but they already do.

The ACLU led the Left's charge to remove God and the Bible from public schools using the establishment clause as ammunition. When God's word is removed from the public square you are left only with man's word. The Humanists wanted to enjoy the same tax-free status religious groups enjoyed, and in the 1961 court case Torcaso v. Watkins, the Supreme Court ruled humanism was a religion, citing "...a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being..."

Since then, the theory of Creation wasn't allowed to be taught anymore, and all of a sudden the theory of evolution was no longer a theory, but settled science.

You are clearly against religious indoctrination, so why are you comfortable with the tenets of the religion of secular humanism being taught AND funded by taxpayer dollars?

Can't have it both ways.

For your reading pleasure, from americanhumanist.org, Humanist Manifesto III

Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

The lifestance of Humanism—guided by reason, inspired by compassion, and informed by experience—encourages us to live life well and fully. It evolved through the ages and continues to develop through the efforts of thoughtful people who recognize that values and ideals, however carefully wrought, are subject to change as our knowledge and understandings advance.

This document is part of an ongoing effort to manifest in clear and positive terms the conceptual boundaries of Humanism, not what we must believe but a consensus of what we do believe. It is in this sense that we affirm the following:

Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and rational analysis. Humanists find that science is the best method for determining this knowledge as well as for solving problems and developing beneficial technologies. We also recognize the value of new departures in thought, the arts, and inner experience—each subject to analysis by critical intelligence.

Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of unguided evolutionary change. Humanists recognize nature as self-existing. We accept our life as all and enough, distinguishing things as they are from things as we might wish or imagine them to be. We welcome the challenges of the future, and are drawn to and undaunted by the yet to be known.

Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. Humanists ground values in human welfare shaped by human circumstances, interests, and concerns and extended to the global ecosystem and beyond. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.

Life’s fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence. The joining of individuality with interdependence enriches our lives, encourages us to enrich the lives of others, and inspires hope of attaining peace, justice, and opportunity for all.

Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness. Progressive cultures have worked to free humanity from the brutalities of mere survival and to reduce suffering, improve society, and develop global community. We seek to minimize the inequities of circumstance and ability, and we support a just distribution of nature’s resources and the fruits of human effort so that as many as possible can enjoy a good life.

Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to diversity, and respect those of differing yet humane views. We work to uphold the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process and a planetary duty to protect nature’s integrity, diversity, and beauty in a secure, sustainable manner.

Thus engaged in the flow of life, we aspire to this vision with the informed conviction that humanity has the ability to progress toward its highest ideals. The responsibility for our lives and the kind of world in which we live is ours and ours alone.

Humanist Manifesto is a trademark of the American Humanist Association
© 2003 American Humanist Association

Just want to correct a few things here.
1. Torcaso did NOT rule secular humanism was a religion. The case resolved a MD issue that the state could not require a religious belief to hold state office. Whether "secular humanism" was/is a religion was not in question in the case.
2. Dicta does not have force of law. Black's footnote holds zero legal value.
3. Peloza v. Capistrano Unified School District clears this up in the ruling:

"We reject this claim because neither the Supreme Court, nor this circuit, has ever held that evolutionism or secular humanism are "religions" for Establishment Clause purposes. Indeed, both the dictionary definition of religion(4) and the clear weight of the case law(5) are to the contrary. The Supreme Court has held unequivocally that while the belief in a divine creator of the universe is a religious belief, the scientific theory that higher forms of life evolved from lower forms is not. Edwards V. Aguillard. 482 U.S. 578, 107 S.Ct. 2573, 96 L.Ed.2d 510 (1987) (holding unconstitutional, under Establishment Clause, Louisiana's "Balanced Treatment for Creation-science and Evolution-Science in Public School Instruction Act")."

4. The theory of evolution is settled science. As much as the theory of gravity.
5. Creation theory is a religious belief. It can be taught in an elective world religions class, but belongs far, far away from a science classroom. Additionally, what creation story would be taught. There are many.
6. Christians first sought removal of Bibles from school education. Minor v Board of education (1870) was brought by Catholics

Furthermore, both religious and secular humanism exist. No, teaching science and secular education is not religious teaching. That claim is absurd.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Not for nothing, but they already do.

The ACLU led the Left's charge to remove God and the Bible from public schools using the establishment clause as ammunition. When God's word is removed from the public square you are left only with man's word. The Humanists wanted to enjoy the same tax-free status religious groups enjoyed, and in the 1961 court case Torcaso v. Watkins, the Supreme Court ruled humanism was a religion, citing "...a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being..."

Since then, the theory of Creation wasn't allowed to be taught anymore, and all of a sudden the theory of evolution was no longer a theory, but settled science.

You are clearly against religious indoctrination, so why are you comfortable with the tenets of the religion of secular humanism being taught AND funded by taxpayer dollars?

Can't have it both ways.

For your reading pleasure, from americanhumanist.org, Humanist Manifesto III

Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

The lifestance of Humanism—guided by reason, inspired by compassion, and informed by experience—encourages us to live life well and fully. It evolved through the ages and continues to develop through the efforts of thoughtful people who recognize that values and ideals, however carefully wrought, are subject to change as our knowledge and understandings advance.

This document is part of an ongoing effort to manifest in clear and positive terms the conceptual boundaries of Humanism, not what we must believe but a consensus of what we do believe. It is in this sense that we affirm the following:

Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and rational analysis. Humanists find that science is the best method for determining this knowledge as well as for solving problems and developing beneficial technologies. We also recognize the value of new departures in thought, the arts, and inner experience—each subject to analysis by critical intelligence.

Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of unguided evolutionary change. Humanists recognize nature as self-existing. We accept our life as all and enough, distinguishing things as they are from things as we might wish or imagine them to be. We welcome the challenges of the future, and are drawn to and undaunted by the yet to be known.

Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. Humanists ground values in human welfare shaped by human circumstances, interests, and concerns and extended to the global ecosystem and beyond. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.

Life’s fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence. The joining of individuality with interdependence enriches our lives, encourages us to enrich the lives of others, and inspires hope of attaining peace, justice, and opportunity for all.

Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness. Progressive cultures have worked to free humanity from the brutalities of mere survival and to reduce suffering, improve society, and develop global community. We seek to minimize the inequities of circumstance and ability, and we support a just distribution of nature’s resources and the fruits of human effort so that as many as possible can enjoy a good life.

Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to diversity, and respect those of differing yet humane views. We work to uphold the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process and a planetary duty to protect nature’s integrity, diversity, and beauty in a secure, sustainable manner.

Thus engaged in the flow of life, we aspire to this vision with the informed conviction that humanity has the ability to progress toward its highest ideals. The responsibility for our lives and the kind of world in which we live is ours and ours alone.

Humanist Manifesto is a trademark of the American Humanist Association
© 2003 American Humanist Association
This is quite possibly the worst argument I've heard on virtually any subject. You're claiming teaching science is religious indoctrination? It is so idiotic I don't know where to begin.

bacha29

Hey, I want that new technology to manage spikes in my pants too, LOL.
You can do that yourself. Simply go back and read the warnings on the package your little blue pill came in It will plainly state that if your spikes last more than 4 hours call your doctor right away. As for the matter of spikes . I was talking about spikes in electricity demand and the reasons why black outs and voltage reductions are not as common today. And FYI today First Energy announced that it will shut down permanently whichever nukes they can't sell to another utility (good luck with that) and that includes Perry Nuclear and Davis Besse those big bas*tards up along Lake Erie That's a combined 4400 Mega Watts and 1500 jobs. The reason? With the price of nat gas falling possibly into the low $2 range and maybe even lower then if the nukes can't hang with the gas plants how in the expletive deleted are the coal burners going to? And by the way, those numbers I quoted came directly from PJM Interconnection. Do you know who they are? Of course not It's the power grid that manages the 14 state Mid Atlantic Region. Why is it of interest to me? I own 2,700 shares of First Energy stock.

vantexan

You can do that yourself. Simply go back and read the warnings on the package your little blue pill came in It will plainly state that if your spikes last more than 4 hours call your doctor right away. As for the matter of spikes . I was talking about spikes in electricity demand and the reasons why black outs and voltage reductions are not as common today. And FYI today First Energy announced that it will shut down permanently whichever nukes they can't sell to another utility (good luck with that) and that includes Perry Nuclear and Davis Besse those big bas*tards up along Lake Erie That's a combined 4400 Mega Watts and 1500 jobs. The reason? With the price of nat gas falling possibly into the low $2 range and maybe even lower then if the nukes can't hang with the gas plants how in the expletive deleted are the coal burners going to? And by the way, those numbers I quoted came directly from PJM Interconnection. Do you know who they are? Of course not It's the power grid that manages the 14 state Mid Atlantic Region. Why is it of interest to me? I own 2,700 shares of First Energy stock.
Why that's environmentally interesting for a liberal investing in nuclear energy. But as I mentioned, China uses coal, we have coal, I see synergy happening all over. Good for the miners, bad for the libs hoping to put them out of work permanently(hi Hillary!).

Nolimitz

Why that's environmentally interesting for a liberal investing in nuclear energy. But as I mentioned, China uses coal, we have coal, I see synergy happening all over. Good for the miners, bad for the libs hoping to put them out of work permanently(hi Hillary!).
man you need a life! sheesh what drivel

abused.crr

I'm telling you guys coal is going to come back! Good or bad ( good for me if it does) but it's coming back. I have received several letters in the last couple months from mineral companies wanting to buy my mineral rights. It's already leased for oil and gas, the coal is what they're wanting.

Nolimitz

so give it to em.. move away rich cause your land will be :censored2:e!

I'm telling you guys coal is going to come back! Good or bad ( good for me if it does) but it's coming back. I have received several letters in the last couple months from mineral companies wanting to buy my mineral rights. It's already leased for oil and gas, the coal is what they're wanting.

abused.crr

No way. If it's worth x right now, in 7 1/2 years when Donnie t is leaving office and Laura Ingraham is moving in it will be worth 10x.

vantexan

man you need a life! sheesh what drivel
You have to admit that a liberal who rages against pretty much everything investing heavily in a utility that relies on nuclear power, anathema to environmentalists, is extraordinarily peculiar, and that's being generous. Why, pray tell, are you going after me in this situation? I would think you would be jumping down his throat.

bacha29

When dealing with coal strippers and gas drillers the 2 most common mistakes are these. They lease their acreage but continue to live there. In the end they have a lease than has been terminated by the coal stripper. Not a drop of water under the place or going to the house. And still have to pay the real estate taxes on a worthless piece of back filled strip ground. Smart people sell the whole place to the coal stripper and let him pay the taxes. With gas leases the property owner often fails to have a specific date in place when the gas will begin to be pumped out and sent to market and there is a mountain of shut in gas in my area Little mention of site reclamation if there is no gas there. Another unpleasant little surprise gas drillers slip into leases. A provision whereby the property owner has to pay the transmission costs of shipping the gas to market. With gas prices s low and transmission charges going in opposite directions ((you know where this is going) property owners expecting to find a nice royalty check in the mail INSTEAD END UP GETTING A BILL FOR THE DIFFERENCE. Oh by the way abused ccr. some interesting new data came out the other day. Within the next 12 months an additional 1 billion cubic feet of new gas will come into the market. That's 1 billion cubic feet....PER DAY.

bacha29

You have to admit that a liberal who rages against pretty much everything investing heavily in a utility that relies on nuclear power, anathema to environmentalists, is extraordinarily peculiar, and that's being generous. Why, pray tell, are you going after me in this situation? I would think you would be jumping down his throat.
FYI I bought 100 shares of Ohio Edison now part of FE in 1978 and kept right on investing the dividends. Here it is 39 years later and technology just keeps marching along. Things such as wind and solar geo thermal are taking shape and according to a pair of German engineers experts in the field........Nuclear Fusion by 2055.

abused.crr

OMG you guys are so much fun. And obviously you're not a surface owner or mineral owner. The above post was written by somebody without an attorney that specializes in minerals.

abused.crr

We should move the topic of this post to why the wall will be bigly good or why more states like Ohio should pass legislation allowing employees to leave their ccw/cch in their vehicle while on company property regardless of company policy.

njdriver

FedEx Browned
Just want to correct a few things here.
1. Torcaso did NOT rule secular humanism was a religion. The case resolved a MD issue that the state could not require a religious belief to hold state office. Whether "secular humanism" was/is a religion was not in question in the case.
2. Dicta does not have force of law. Black's footnote holds zero legal value.

True, but it does have probative value.

3. Peloza v. Capistrano Unified School District clears this up in the ruling:

"We reject this claim because neither the Supreme Court, nor this circuit, has ever held that evolutionism or secular humanism are "religions" for Establishment Clause purposes. Indeed, both the dictionary definition of religion(4) and the clear weight of the case law(5) are to the contrary. The Supreme Court has held unequivocally that while the belief in a divine creator of the universe is a religious belief, the scientific theory that higher forms of life evolved from lower forms is not. Edwards V. Aguillard. 482 U.S. 578, 107 S.Ct. 2573, 96 L.Ed.2d 510 (1987) (holding unconstitutional, under Establishment Clause, Louisiana's "Balanced Treatment for Creation-science and Evolution-Science in Public School Instruction Act")."

Agree, but evolution is just one cog in the wheel of overall humanistic beliefs.

4. The theory of evolution is settled science. As much as the theory of gravity.
5. Creation theory is a religious belief. It can be taught in an elective world religions class, but belongs far, far away from a science classroom. Additionally, what creation story would be taught. There are many.
6. Christians first sought removal of Bibles from school education. Minor v Board of education (1870) was brought by Catholics.

I coudbe wrong, but I believe it was Protestants who began that push. During that time period many immigrants to the US were Catholic who were quickly adding their children to the school roles. In an attempt to appease them, seeing as their version of the Bible was somewhat different than the Protestant King James Version, the push was made to remove the KJV from public schools.

This was also part of the Ohio courts ruling:

"... the state cannot coerce conscience, Christian or otherwise. The state adds nothing of spiritual significance to the church, while the church has no need of the state’s imprimatur."

Furthermore, both religious and secular humanism exist. No, teaching science and secular education is not religious teaching.

That is the crux of our discussion; you see it one way, I see it another.

That claim is absurd.

From vftonline.org:

Is "Secular Humanism" a "Religion"?

John Dewey described Humanism as our "common faith." Julian Huxley called it "Religion without Revelation." The first Humanist Manifesto spoke openly of Humanism as a religion. Many other Humanists could be cited who have acknowledged that Humanism is a religion. In fact, claiming that Humanism was "the new religion" was trendy for at least 100 years, perhaps beginning in 1875 with the publication of The Religion of Humanity by Octavius Brooks Frothingham (1822-1895), son of the distinguished Unitarian clergyman, Nathaniel Langdon Frothingham (1793-1870), pastor of the First Unitarian Church of Boston, 1815-1850. In the 1950's, Humanists sought and obtained tax-exempt status as religious organizations. Even the Supreme Court of the United States spoke in 1961 of Secular Humanism as a religion. It was a struggle to get atheism accepted as a religion, but it happened. From 1962-1980 this was not a controversial issue.
But then Christians began to challenge the "establishment of religion" which Secular Humanism in public schools represented. They used the same tactic Atheists had used to challenge prayer and Bible reading under the "Establishment Clause" of the First Amendment. Now the ACLU is involved. Now the question is controversial. Now Secular Humanists have completely reversed their strategy, and claim that Humanism is not at all religious, but is "scientific."

This page examines two issues:

Secular Humanists and Humanistic courts have admitted that Humanism is a religion.
Why they now claim Humanism is not a religion, in order to avoid problems under the "Establishment Clause" of the First Amendment.
For further reading, see R.J. Rushdoony, The Messianic Character of American Education, chapter 27, "Education as a Religion." He writes,
[T]he state school is a religious institution. As pointed out in Intellectual Schizophrenia, the public school is the established church of today and a substitute institution for the medieval church, dedicated to the same monolithic conception of society. Some years ago, Dewey very candidly discussed "Education as a Religion" (John Dewey, "Education as a Religion," The New Republic, August, 1922, p. 64f.) As Whitehead observed, "The essence of education is that it be religious." (Alfred North Whitehead, The Aims of Education, NY: Mentor Books, 1952, p. 26)
The public or state schools have thus been inescapably religious. Their "common faith" has been described as "made up of elements provided by Rousseau, Jefferson, August Comte, and John Dewey. 'Civil religion' is an apt designation for this faith." (G.H. Williams, Harvard Divinity School Bulletin, 1948-1949, p. 41.)
In 1961, the U.S. Supreme Court acknowledged that Secular Humanism was a religion. Nevertheless, many Humanists deny the significance of the Court's assertion. In order to buttress the claim that the identification of Secular Humanism as a religion in a footnote in the Torcaso case is more than mere "dicta," here is a memorandum prepared "[a]t the request of the staff of the Committee on Education and Labor” by Congressman John B. Conlan.

The U.S. Supreme Court cited Secular Humanism as a religion in the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins (367 U.S. 488). Roy Torcaso, the appellant, a practicing Humanist in Maryland, had refused to declare his belief in Almighty God, as then required by State law in order for him to be commissioned as a notary public. The Court held that the requirement for such an oath "invades appellant's freedom of belief and religion."
The Court declared in Torcaso that the "no establishment" clause of the First Amendment reached far more than churches of theistic faiths, that it is not the business of government or its agents to probe beliefs, and that therefore its inquiry is concluded by the fact of the profession of belief.
Actually, the Court in Torcaso rested its decision on "free exercise" grounds, not the "Establishment Clause." Abington v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203, 264-65 (1962) J. Brennan, concurring.

The Court stated:
We repeat and again reaffirm that neither a State nor the Federal Government can constitutionally force a person to "profess a belief or disbelief in any religion." Neither can constitutionally pass laws or impose requirements which aid all religions as against non-believers,10 and neither can aid those religions based on a belief in the existence of God as against those religions founded on different beliefs.11

Footnote 11 concerning "religions founded on different beliefs" contains the Court's citation of Secular Humanism as a religion. It states
Among religions in this country which do not teach what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God are Buddhism, Taoism, Ethical Culture, Secular Humanism, and others. See Washington Ethical Society v. District of Columbia, 101 U.S. App. D.C. 371, 249 friend.2d 127; Fellowship of Humanity v. County of Alameda, 153 Cal. App. 2d 673, 315 P.2d 394; II Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences 293; 4 Encyclopedia Britannica (1957 ed.) 325-327; 21 id., at 797; Archer, Faiths Men Live By (2d ed. revised by Purinton), 120-138, 254-313; 1961 World Almanac 695, 712; Year Book of American Churches for 1961, at 29, 47.

It is important to note that this citation of Secular Humanism as a religion is not merely dictum. The Supreme Court refers to the important 1957 case of Washington Ethical Society v. District of Columbia (101 U.S. App. D.C. 371) in its holding that Secular Humanism is a non-theistic religion within the meaning of the First Amendment.
The Ethical Culture movement is one denomination of Secular Humanism which reaches moral and cultural relativism, situation ethics, and attacks belief in a spiritual God and theistic values of the Old and New Testaments.
The Washington Ethical Society case involved denial of the Society's application for tax exemption as a religious organization. The U.S. Court of Appeals reversed the Tax Court's ruling, defined the Society as a religious organization, and granted its tax exemption.
The Court Stated,
The sole issue raised is whether petitioner falls within the definition of a "church" or a "religious society" . . . . The taxing authority urges denial of the tax exemption asserting petitioner is not a religious society or church and that it does not use its buildings for religious worship since "religious" and "worship" require a belief in and teaching of a Supreme Being who controls the universe. The position of the tax Court, in denying tax exemption, was that belief in and teaching of the existence of a Divinity is essential to qualify under the statute. . . . To construe exemptions so strictly that unorthodox or minority forms of worship would be denied the exemption benefits granted to those conforming to the majority beliefs might well raise constitutional issues . . . . We hold on this record and under the controlling statutory language petitioner qualifies as "a religious corporation or society" . . . .

It is incumbent upon Congress to utilize this broad definition of religion in all its legislative actions bearing on the support or non-support of religion, within the context of the "no-establishment" clause of the First Amendment.
Other Justices have reflected back on the Torcaso opinion and confirmed our analysis.

Justice Scalia wrote:

In Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488, 495, n. 11 (1961), we did indeed refer to "SECULAR HUMANISM" as a "religio[n]."
Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 U.S. 578 (1987) note 6

Justice Harlan summed it all up:

[Footnote 8] This Court has taken notice of the fact that recognized "religions" exist that "do not teach what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God," Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488, 495 n. 11, e. g., "Buddhism, Taoism, Ethical Culture, SECULAR HUMANISM and others." Ibid. See also Washington Ethical Society v. District of Columbia, 101 U.S. App. D.C. 371, 249 friend.2d 127 (1957); 2 Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences 293; J. Archer, Faiths Men Live By 120-138, 254-313 (2d ed. revised by Purinton 1958); Stokes & Pfeffer, supra, n. 3, at 560.
Welsh v. United States 398 U.S. 333 (1970) note 8

But many who favor a secularist "separation of church and state" will contend that fundamentalists invented the idea that Humanism is a religion. Like most Americans, these secularists do not understand the legal issues involved here.

The Humanist-dominated Court is permitting Secular Humanists to have their cake and eat it too.

Secular Humanism is a religion
"for Free Exercise Clause purposes."

The Court has undeniably defined Secular Humanism as a religion "for free exercise purposes." When Secular Humanists want the benefits of a religion, they get them.

Tax Exemption. Secular Humanism has been granted tax-exempt status as a religion. The Torcaso quote cited the cases.

Conscientious Objection. Even though Congress originally granted conscientious objector status only to those who objected to war for religious reasons (i.e., because of a belief in God), the Supreme Court turned around and said that Humanists who don't believe in God are "religious" for C.O. purposes. U.S. v. Seeger, 380 U.S. 163, 183, 85 S.Ct. 850, 13 L.Ed.2d 733, 746 (Holding that belief in a "Supreme Being" is not a necessary component of "religion," quoting a Secular Humanist source, "Thus the 'God' that we love . . . is . . . humanity.")

So Secular Humanism is emphatically and undeniably a religion -- "for free exercise purposes."
Any claim that "the clear weight of the caselaw" is against the proposition that Secular Humanism is a religion is a misleading claim. Secular Humanism is a religion ("for free exercise clause purposes").

Secular Humanism is Not a religion
"for Establishment Clause purposes."

But when Christians attempt to get the religion of Secular Humanism out of the government schools, based on the same emotional frame of mind which atheists had when they went to court against God in schools, then pro-secularist courts speak out of the other side of their faces and say that Secular Humanism is NOT a religion "for establishment clause purposes." This is slimy deceitful legalism at its worst.

But it explains why so many are confused about whether Secular Humanism is a religion.

Here is the rule: When Secular Humanists want the benefits of religion, Secular Humanism is a religion. When Secular Humanists are challenged for propagating their religion in public schools, it is not a religion. If that sounds insane, it is; but all insane people are still rational. This insanity is cloaked in the rational-sounding rhetoric of constitutional law. Remember:

Secular Humanism is a religion "for free exercise clause purposes," and it is not a religion "for establishment clause purposes."

Here's how it works. In Peloza v. Capistrano Unified School Dist., 37 friend.3d 517 (9th Cir. 1994), a high school biology teacher tried to balance the teaching of evolutionism with creationism based on the claim that Secular Humanism (and its core belief, evolutionism) is a religion. The court emphatically rejected this claim:

We reject this claim because neither the Supreme Court, nor this circuit, has ever held that evolutionism or secular humanism are "religions" for Establishment Clause purposes. Indeed, both the dictionary definition of religion and the clear weight of the caselaw5 are to the contrary. The Supreme Court has held unequivocally that while the belief in a divine creator of the universe is a religious belief, the scientific theory that higher forms of life evolved from lower forms is not. Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 U.S. 578, 107 S.Ct. 2573, 96 L.Ed.2d 510 (1987) (holding unconstitutional, under Establishment Clause, Louisiana's "Balanced Treatment for Creation-Science and Evolution-Science in Public School Instruction Act").

Note 5: See Smith v. Board of School Com'rs of Mobile County, 827 friend.2d 684, 690-95 (11th Cir. 1987) (refusing to adopt district court's holding that "secular humanism" is a religion for Establishment Clause purposes; deciding case on other grounds); United States v. Allen, 760 friend.2d 447, 450-51 (2d Cir. 1985) (quoting Tribe, American Constitutional Law 827-28 (1978), for the proposition that, while "religion" should be broadly interpreted for Free Exercise Clause purposes, "anything `arguably non-religious' should not be considered religious in applying the establishment clause").

Thus a teacher who wants to tell his students about his religious beliefs is free to do so if his religion is the religion of Secular Humanism, but may not tell his students about his religious beliefs if his religion is Christianity. Christians are not even allowed to discuss Christianity with students during lunch break, while Secular Humanists are allowed to teach the tenets of the religion of Secular Humanism from the blackboard during class.

Peloza alleges the school district ordered him to refrain from discussing his religious beliefs with students during "instructional time," and to tell any students who attempted to initiate such conversations with him to consult their parents or clergy. He claims the school district, in the following official reprimand, defined "instructional time" as any time the students are on campus, including lunch break and the time before, between, and after classes:

You are hereby directed to refrain from any attempt to convert students to Christianity or initiating conversations about your religious beliefs during instructional time, which the District believes includes any time students are required to be on campus as well as the time students immediately arrive for the purposes of attending school for instruction, lunch time, and the time immediately prior to students' departure after the instructional day.

Complaint at 16. Peloza seeks a declaration that this definition of instructional time is too broad, and that he should be allowed to participate in student-initiated discussions of religious matters when he is not actually teaching class.

The school district's interest in avoiding an Establishment Clause violation trumps Peloza's right to free speech.

While at the high school, whether he is in the classroom or outside of it during contract time, Peloza is not just any ordinary citizen. He is a teacher. He is one of those especially respected persons chosen to teach in the high school's classroom. He is clothed with the mantle of one who imparts knowledge and wisdom. His expressions of opinion are all the more believable because he is a teacher. The likelihood of high school students equating his views with those of the school is substantial. To permit him to discuss his religious beliefs with students during school time on school grounds would violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. Such speech would not have a secular purpose, would have the primary effect of advancing religion, and would entangle the school with religion. In sum, it would flunk all three parts of the test articulated in Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602, 91 S.Ct. 2105, 29 L.Ed.2d 745 (1971). See Roberts v. Madigan, 921 friend.2d 1047, 1056-58 (10th Cir. 1990) (teacher could be prohibited from reading Bible during silent reading period, and from stocking two books on Christianity on shelves, because these things could leave students with the impression that Christianity was officially sanctioned), cert. denied, ___ U.S. ___, 112 S.Ct. 3025, 120 L.Ed.2d 896 (1992).

Secular Humanist teachers and school administrators (who are protected by the "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment as members of tax-exempt religious organizations and religious conscientious objectors) are free to propagate their views in schools, but Christians are not. If Christians propagate their views, it is an "establishment clause" violation, but not if Secular Humanists propagate their views.

Secular Humanism is a religion "for free exercise clause purposes," and it is not a religion "for establishment clause purposes."

********************************************************************************

Just one of many ways that those who choose not to believe in a Creator can have their cake and eat it too. As said above, Humanists want it both ways:

"...When Secular Humanists want the benefits of religion, Secular Humanism is a religion. When Secular Humanists are challenged for propagating their religion in public schools, it is not a religion. If that sounds insane, it is; but all insane people are still rational. This insanity is cloaked in the rational-sounding rhetoric of constitutional law. Remember: Secular Humanism is a religion "for free exercise clause purposes," and it is not a religion "for establishment clause purposes."

So, how does the Humanist community decide which tenets contained in its Manifesto should be categorized and subsequently taught so as not to cause legal issues?; They don't, and that's where my problem lies.

Look, I have absolutely no problem that Christianity, Creation or Bible reading are not allowed in public schools. It doesn't affect me, my family, or my faith in any way. You mentioned in a previous post that you didn't want your tax dollars funding religious teaching, that you don't wish to have your children indoctrinated by teachings that run counter to what you may believe.

Fine! Neither do I!

My taxes, and the taxes of millions of other Christian parents are being used to propagate the tenets of a group of individuals that want to be recognized as a religion so as to avail themselves tax-exempt status when that suits them, but doesn't want to be viewed as such when they teach the same tenets that caused their finding as a religion, to every public school student.

Evolution is no more settled science because you or scientists say it is, than my belief that Creation is because I, or thousands of preachers or other believers say it is.

When Christian parents fight for school vouchers, we are staunchly opposed by teacher's unions and groups like humanists, and if those families don't have the necessary funds to afford private schools, their children become a captive audience to a rationale that runs counter to their belief system.

Schools should not be agents of social change, as was promoted by the NEA at one of its Legislative Agenda gatherings. While schools do have a place in teaching students how to think critically, they should not teach them WHAT to think.

That's my job!

That's your job!

Big difference is, public schools are already teaching things that you don't or won't have a problem with.

Not so with me, or at least when my children were in public school.

njdriver

FedEx Browned
This tags along with my earlier reply. Didn't know there was a 25,000 word limit on posts.

You also may find this interesting:

From ThinkProgress, an article by Jack Jenkins, Senior Religion reporter:

A federal district court in Oregon has declared Secular Humanism a religion, paving the way for the non-theistic community to obtain the same legal rights as groups such as Christianity.

On Thursday, October 30, Senior District Judge Ancer Haggerty issued a ruling on American Humanist Association v. United States, a case that was brought by the American Humanist Association (AHA) and Jason Holden, a federal prisoner. Holden pushed for the lawsuit because he wanted Humanism — which the AHA defines as “an ethical and life-affirming philosophy free of belief in any gods and other supernatural forces” — recognized as a religion so that his prison would allow for the creation of a Humanist study group. Haggerty sided with the plaintiffs in his decision, citing existing legal precedent and arguing that denying Humanists the same rights as groups such as Christianity would be highly suspect under the Establishment Clause in the U.S. Constitution, which declares that Congress “shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.”

“The court finds that Secular Humanism is a religion for Establishment Clause purposes,” the ruling read.

The decision highlights the unusual position of the Humanist community, which has tried for years to obtain the same legal rights as more traditional religious groups while simultaneously rebuking the existence of a god or gods. But while some Humanists may chafe at being called a “religion,” others feel that the larger pursuit of equal rights trumps legal classifications.

“I really don’t care if Humanism is called a religion or not,” Greg Epstein, Humanist Chaplain at Harvard University and author of Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe, told ThinkProgress. “But if you’re going to give special rights to religions, then you have to give them to Humanism as well, and I think that’s what this case was about.”

Humanism has grown — at least in terms of organization — rapidly over the past few years, with members establishing official Humanist chaplaincies at Harvard University, American University, Columbia University, and Rutgers University. Atheists — one of the many titles for a diversity of nonreligious Americans, which includes Humanists — have also successfully fought for the right to offer invocations at government meetings: Kelly McCauley, a member of the North Alabama Freethought Association, opened a City Council meeting in Huntsville, Alabama in September with an invocation that did not mention God but extolled the virtues of “Wisdom, Courage, Justice, and Moderation.”

“Nonreligious people are just one of the large groups in American society today,” Epstein said. “Increasingly, we need to be recognized not just for our non-belief, but also as a community, and this decision affirms that.”

Despite these successes, the movement to obtain legal rights for Humanists has also encountered stiff resistance. Atheists and Humanists are disproportionately underrepresented in Congress, for instance, and the American Humanist Association is currently in a lengthy battle with the U.S. military to establish formal Humanist chaplains for nonreligious soldiers. In June, the U.S. Navy rejected the application of Jason Heap for a commission as a chaplain.

Update:
This post has been updated to describe the judge’s decision, which was a rejection of a motion to dismiss, with greater precision.

bacha29

Perhaps we can sum it all up this way. The question of what happens to us after we die will be debated long after we die. It's just too bad that we're not going to be here to join the conversation.