Populist Indeed!

Maui

Neither did billions and billions and billions of dollars in antipoverty programs over the past 50 years. Then again, it's hard to combat the inbreeding.
The point is that religious indoctrination has had a deleterious effect. Those solutions do not work.

The best way out of that vicious cycle is education and good jobs. Most of the brightest people I know/knew no longer live there because of limited opportunities and that just perpetuates the cycle. Too many there complain about lack of opportunity, but stay there and keep doing the same old things getting the same poor results.

abused.crr

No no no. Not history. Now. Not 1625. Cause in 2250 maybe Islam will be looking back and judging themselves. Does Christianity play a positive or negative role in our world.

vantexan

Again you can take anyone of the teaching' that are publicly accused of belonging to Christ and use it to support any point of view that you want. But when you attempt to forcibly impost those views including efforts to make them the law of the land this nation has will and continue to respond to those efforts with absolute revulsion. And by the way take a closer look at trump's tax plan. The people at the bottom currently pay a tax rate of 10% Under Trump's plan it will go UP to 12% while the higher income people you know the ones whose ground they walk on you worship will get a big tax cut.
I was just looking at the current Money magazine which explains how Trump's tax cuts would affect us. He wants a $30,000 standard deductible for married couples filing jointly. That would wipe out taxes for many low income families. Currently the standard deduction for them is a little over $12k. He's serious about tax breaks. You should look into it a bit closer. As for any references to Jesus I brought up, look them up, nothing new there, it's accurate. And no one is talking about making the country a theocracy. I started all this by saying our schools would be better served if we didn't take God completely out of it. And I elaborated that if kids dressed properly, spoke properly, respected authority, values that Christians advocate, they'd have an environment conducive to learning. I'm amazed at the clothing I see teenagers wear to school. Would've been sent home in my day. Tell me how young people with raging hormones learn in such an environment? You were primarily the one who turned what I said into an attempt to force feed religious extremism to young impressionable minds. It's exactly that kind of interpretation of everything religious, even in the slightest, that has driven it from the public realm. With constantly seeking out any leftover vestiges to drive underground. Are we all better for it? Only the haters seem to think so.

Last edited:

bacha29

I appreciate your ability to equate two or more things that are completely different.
My reference was to a different era and a specific war but one fact has never changed and never will. With war there are winners and losers and some times neither and people die sometimes millions of then and the vast majority who did never expected their lives to end on a battlefield cut short by decades only because they were born at the wrong time and to families that weren't rich enough to use their wealth and power to keep them out of harm's way.

Meat

I was just looking at the current Money magazine which explains how Trump's tax cuts would affect us. He wants a $30,000 standard deductible for married couples filing jointly. That would wipe out taxes for many low income families. Currently the standard deduction for them is a little over $12k. He's serious about tax breaks. You should look into it a bit closer.

Speaking of populist movements, are the majority of the proposed tax cuts going to the poor, middle-class, or rich?

Maui

No no no. Not history. Now. Not 1625. Cause in 2250 maybe Islam will be looking back and judging themselves. Does Christianity play a positive or negative role in our world.
A secular society, like the US, is preferable. The results are even better when the people can practice their religion are from the intrusion of others. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion.
This was asked as if there is a single Christianity. Such a thing does not exist.

bacha29

Speaking of populist movements, are the majority of the proposed tax cuts going to the poor, middle-class, or rich?
Why the rich of course. And if Trump gets all the cuts he wants it will run a deficit so large that it will make the Obama deficit look like toll booth change. Rest assured in VT's mind's eye if it's a Trump deficit it will still the Dem"s fault.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually the Apostle Paul warned against such people who claim to be Christians but are using it to do evil. They're wolves in sheep's clothing(where that saying originated) and their God is their belly. For all the raging against Christianity some do I wonder if they realize that Jesus wasn't fond of the rich? He said it was easier for a camel to enter through the eye of the needle(a small door in city walls that let people in but would be extremely difficult for camels to pass through) than for a rich man to enter into heaven. People who strive to get rich while taking advantage of others should take note if they believe they are Christians.

You have just described the Annoying Orange. How do you support such a sinner?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The God of the Bible is absolutely savage. He killed first born children and every human - man, woman and child save one family. He is a jealous god and vengeful. He commanded men to kill their children and wants a blood sacrifice.

The purpose of blood sacrifices was to teach man the seriousness of sin. However, the death (and blood) of Jesus is to atone for the sins of man. God flooded the world for a reason. It was created by Him for man (also created by God) and man was to follow His rules. Man didn't obey, and so it rained, the planet flooded, and just about everything was killed.

As it stands, God promises eternal salvation to those who accept Christ.

59 Dano

The point is that religious indoctrination has had a deleterious effect. Those solutions do not work.

I don't think religion has harmed that pathetic region of the country, and no one promised that religion would fix it.

59 Dano

My reference was to a different era and a specific war but one fact has never changed and never will. With war there are winners and losers and some times neither and people die sometimes millions of then and the vast majority who did never expected their lives to end on a battlefield cut short by decades only because they were born at the wrong time and to families that weren't rich enough to use their wealth and power to keep them out of harm's way.

OK, if you say so.

bbsam

Staff member
Ummm, he just signed a bill removing some restrictions on coal mining Obama put in place. Senators and Reps from coal states, including Democrats, were all looking very happy as he did so.
Why would they be happy? Gas is cheap. Electric companies aren't switching back are they?

It will be fine

Why would they be happy? Gas is cheap. Electric companies aren't switching back are they?
The new regime cancelled some new regulations that likely would have increased the cost of coal production. They're happy because they don't have to try and clean up their act now and can keep dumping their waste in streams. Coal is still a dead fuel walking, this just lets them hold on a bit longer.

bbsam

Staff member
The new regime cancelled some new regulations that likely would have increased the cost of coal production. They're happy because they don't have to try and clean up their act now and can keep dumping their waste in streams. Coal is still a dead fuel walking, this just lets them hold on a bit longer.
IEEFA U.S. Coal Outlook 2017: Short-Term Gains Muted by Prevailing Weaknesses in Fundamentals - Institute for Energy Economics & Financial Analysis

Rolling back regulation gave them a sugar high. Like manufacturing jobs that didn't move over seas, the energy industry has moved on.

59 Dano

And what history would that be?

Modern history's greatest atrocities took place in societies where there was no religion. Stalin's USSR, Mao's China, and the Khmer Rouge outlawed religion because it was seen as a threat to the state. The Nazis tolerated Protestantism for purposes of expediency but their postwar plans were to destroy the influence of all Christianity because they, too, saw it as a threat.

You've stated that the world would be a better place without religion. Estimates vary, but those four regimes alone account for 75 to 100 million deaths, not to mention suffering that we can't even begin to quantify. I don't know where this religion-free paradise is, but it's nowhere on this planet.

Those who want to get rid of religion don't want to do it for the benefit of others, that's for sure.

Last edited:

vantexan

Don't know. If they raise the standard deduction to $30k(Trump's proposal), or $24k(Republican leadership proposal), for married joint filers, would be a big plus for millions of poorly paid couples.