"Porch Pirates" Questions for Drivers

tstreett

I am doing a mechanical engineering project for school and need some market research from a drivers perspective. Our team has to design a device to prevent package theft from porches. The main things we need to know are below. Thanks!

• Do you read/pay attention to delivery notes?

• Do you currently put packages in lock boxes, or other package prevention devices?

• List concerns you have with package theft prevention devices.

Last edited:

DriverNerd

1. I pay attention to people's notes at their doors. Yes. Why not?! If it's dark outside and their lights aren't on, then no I don't bother wasting my time. They don't care about me, I don't care about them.

2. For apartments that have lockers, yes we all use them. I have never seen someone's home that has a locking device. Some will give a garage code and I will use that, sure, but most just have a container outside requesting packages left in there. I will leave it in the container if it fits, but most of the time it doesn't so it gets left outside of it.

3. Ease of use is most important. We will not waste 5 minutes trying to unlock something when our total delivery time for that address should be 20 seconds.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am doing a mechanical engineering project for school and need some market research from a drivers perspective. Our team has to design a device to prevent package theft from porches. The main things we need to know are below. Thanks!

• Do you currently put packages in lock boxes, or other package prevention devices?

4F87A56F-AE8A-4C26-AF60-868CBC72FB22.gif

already been done

barnyard

KTM rider
My favorite package anti theft dealio is the garage door opener that changes codes to match the last 4 digits of the package #. The code is good for 1 time use and it opens the door enough to slide the package in, I press the enter button again and the door closes.

It seems that most of the lockboxes that customers put on their porches are actually too small for most of the things they get.

El Correcto

god is dead

It should be a camera on a turret that you can shoot people with from your phone. Maybe try selling it to Ring and it can all be wired in with their home security and door bell.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As a retired person, some times I need a little extra cash, you know to cover unexpected things. I just put on my old browns and have a preprinted note to leave saying that an employee left the wrong parcel at your door stop and that I'm just correcting the issue. Works every time.

oldngray

nowhere special
As a retired person, some times I need a little extra cash, you know to cover unexpected things. I just put on my old browns and have a preprinted note to leave saying that an employee left the wrong parcel at your door stop and that I'm just correcting the issue. Works every time.
Its a lot easier with the cars the PVD's use

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Something strange is going on. Hackers?

This works to stop theft...
giphy.gif

myback

Delivery lockers are inadequately sized for receiving deliveries

rocket man

I would like you to post a photo of your UPS identification card or credentials and who authorized this study before I answer any questions

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

A decent sized planter, on a covered porch, set 2 feet from the wall. That's all it takes to eliminate 99% of porch piracy.

deeztier

• if it's on my DIAD...that's what UPS dot com is for
  • depends if they set something up with UPS
  • none, follow the methods

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

If only there were a place that sold the exact same goods I’m ordering at the same price or less that held said goods until I paid for them.

Too much difficulty, I’ll just purchase a $300 doorbell that shows the person taking my packages instead. I’m sure the perpetrator will stop at the sound of my voice 3 minutes after he’s gone.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
This year will be an extremely challenging year with porch pirates due to the circumstances. Have your head on a swivel and pay attention...anyone following you call the police immediately , supervisor observation or not.
🧔✊

Est.1998

Simply leaving the screen door unlocked works wonders for small items.
I read notes, whether in the board or posted on a person's front door.
As stated above, ease of use is your friend.
Other than lockers at apt complexes, I've yet to see any other devices that prevent theft.