Positive coronavirus test at hub

MattM

My hub had a positive case.
The district manager failed to mention that anyone who came into contact with that person needs to quarantine, then joked about drinking coffee and smoking or some :censored2: to kill the virus.

I’m pretty sure we are all already dead.
For our building, the person who was infected had to make a list of who he/she was in closest contact with the days or weeks prior. They were then told by UPS higher ups/health department officials to have a mandated quarantine. How that list is only 7-8 people is beyond me. I've interacted closely with a few of those just last week.

Now if I wanted to quarantine, it would either be totally unpaid (if I had no PTO), or I'd have to use my own PTO. And only if I get a positive result will I get those days back.

So your building is doing it wrong, or differently. It shouldn't be up to the worker to come forward. They should already have a list.

One has to put up quite a fight to get the mandated quarantine. They want us to use self quarantine.

In theory, it should all be closed down. One person likely infected at least 2 of the others who came into close contact with the first guy. But I don't believe they are being tested for the virus. Only if symptoms get worse will they go after more people to quarantine, which I'd fall into that group. By that time, it'll be three weeks since the first contact and I may have been had the virus run through me already.

It's just a ticking time bomb.

rocket man

For the time being you should immediately file for unemployment. This may vary for your state but in NY they are waiving the 7 day waiting period. Once you have done that, I would follow up with your management team as you are entitled to the 10 days of paid sick leave.

Do you have any personal time built up?
14 days you have to get one or two pieces of paper from the local and there's a hotline number to call it's pretty easy process

sparko

I work in small hub on the Local Sort. We normally have about 27 or 28 people on our shift. Twelve got sick. We have people from pre-load helping out. We have about 100 routes. I think about 6 drivers have been sick so far. One guy from our shift has been hospitalized (on a ventilator). He's in his mid to late 50's. No underlying conditions. Everyone is taking it more serious now. At the beginning, all they had was a memo posted on the door saying if you are sick stay home. They were supposed to be disinfecting the package cars regularly, but they weren't. Now we have masks and gloves and they are cleaning more. Stay safe everyone.