Possible Injury from UPS, not sure what to do please help

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You've been working at UPS for less than a couple months (I presume off you not having any sick days) and you are already injured? I say quit. This job is absolutely not for everyone. Im in no way trying to be condenscing or saying youre weak, but sometimes we need to let go and move on, UPS isnt the only means to an end, in becoming successful in life.

I've been there for almost a year, and I'm a hard worker as well. However it pays more than other jobs, and I need something to support myself. I've also already set up my school schedule around it

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've been there for almost a year, and I'm a hard worker as well. However it pays more than other jobs, and I need something to support myself. I've also already set up my school schedule around it

I understand what you're saying. I'm also in the same predicament as you, but without the injury. You're making around $12 an hour. I don't see any difficulty in finding another part time job that pays around that range. If you're not planning on becoming a driver or somehow using this job to boost your resume, I don't see what's stopping you from finding employment elsewhere - where the work is physically less demanding and pays almost the same wage UPS pays you.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I've been here for two years and a very hard worker aswell, yet I've never been injured. You just got to know your limit. If you feel tired, listen to your body and work based on how you feel. I'm not saying to be slacker (I hate lazy people)

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If your sup isn't willing to work with you I'm not sure what to say. If one of my guys in hurt I'd rather have them in smalls the whole time rather than be a man down if they are feeling up for it.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to file for injury, seeing as that's the only way they'll consider to let me work there, and I can't take days off, because they're unpaid. Do you the process on the whole filing for injury and how it works

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm assuming I'm going to have to file for injury, seeing as that's the only way they'll consider to let me work there, and I can't take days off, because they're unpaid. Do you the process on the whole filing for injury and how it works
How can you go to the doctor. ..be treated for an injury without reporting it to your supervisor....then turn around and claim the injury is work related after all and want to file a report?
If you don't file a workers comp claim....ups doesn't have to offer you light duty (TAW) and most likely won't. Your best bet at that point is to go out on STD till you can return to regular duty.

I'm going to be receiving physical therapy, as accordance to my doctor, but I think I might go do normal work. My x-rays are okay, however that does describe my severe pain. I'm still waiting on the okay from my doc, however. He's supposed to call me later today.

wayfair

swollen member
Your doctor may be helping you... now you trying to prove it was work related... without filing a report... you are effed company wise..... get well soon! and maybe try some cross fit, that will help you tons with ups operations!

GetTacosOrDieTrying

What's in the box!!!!!?
That's why they tell you from the jump if you feel you injured yourself or have, to notify your supervisor immediately. Never second guess or put it off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know, but it does make it more difficult to prove it is work related

I was experiencing tingling in the tips of my fingers and went to my PCP who referred me to an ortho. Turns out the ulner nerve in both of my elbows was pinched and needed to be released. The cause was repetitive motion (cue the bad jokes). The initial visits were paid for by our healthcare provider but when it was determined that the injury was work related all of the bills that followed were submitted to comp. Comp also reimbursed BC/BS for the initial visits and sent me a check for $880 for the 10 days I was out of work. Yes, it was a pain in the butt (actually, the pain was in my elbows), but it is possible to switch from non-comp to comp.

oldngray

nowhere special
When the DIAD's first came out their weight and the angle to grab them from the holder in the cab gave many drivers tennis elbow. I started grabbing my DIAD with my left hand and tossing it to my right to use it. If I dropped it, so what? I stopped hurting my elbow which was what was more important in the long run. UPS and ergonomics? ROFL!

PrimeUPS

I'm going to be receiving physical therapy, as accordance to my doctor, but I think I might go do normal work. My x-rays are okay, however that does describe my severe pain. I'm still waiting on the okay from my doc, however. He's supposed to call me later today.

Let's clear up some bad advice.
1. UPS does not decide whether you go on disability or TAW or go to work, the Doctor does based in their diagnosis. UPS is not in the healthcare business. I don't care what anybody says or tells you, management does not decide your treatment. While it may look like decisions are made, they are dictated by workman compensation laws of the state you are in. No more, no less.
2. When you visit said doc, you must get a workman compensation form - states have standard forms for this and take it to your manager and safety supervisor. As has been said, you may have screwed up by going to your own doctor. UPS policy is very clear about reporting injuries. You must report them IMMEDIATELY to management. That typically allows the safety sup to give you a signed form that authorizes you to receive treatment at the designated facility on UPS' behalf. I've heard it is possible to see your own doctor and reverse process that, but I have not personally seen it be successful.
3. If you are offered TAW, that will come from the manager - not a sup at any level. You will need to accept or decline it. If you accept it, your job officially changes to that and you are required to comply with whatever was written which may include shortened hours, different start times, and/or duties to which you are completely unfamiliar.
4. Talk to your manager, now, like 5 minutes ago!