Power sterring

I

infonotice

Can someone please tell me why in the world UPS bought package cars with no power stering?

G

gman

I just got a used 700 with power. It makes a world of difference. Are you saying they bought some recently with no p/s.

S

switchoff

take 80,000 vehicles and mulitply that by $300.00 = $24,000,000 That's why.

I

infonotice

Hey Switchoff, do you think UPS really saved $24 million? How much money do you think UPS has lost due to wrist or sholder injuries, or how about time lost in preformance because it takes longer to do a route in a truck with no power sterring.

S

switchoff

Ahhh, little grasshopper, you must think like management...SHORT TERM GOALS, NOT LONG TERM BENEFITS.

U

ups_gal_710

Hey I agree with you info.... I have some stops that will take me at least 3-5x backing just to turn big brown around. (after that I need a 10 break for my arms to stop burning.) There is no option of walking my stop off due to the fact that I'm a country driver.
On the other hand I have been with my truck for at least 6yrs and I love it. When I switched routes my sup allowed for me to take Bertha with me. It's an 85 model and sounds like she will need a new engine here soon, leaks water all over my pkgs when it rains but, we have been together too long to trade now.

M

mattwtrs

A wise now retired manager once told me UPS tries to Keep It Simple Stupid. The fewer moving parts the less chance of breakdowns. Last year automotive started putting automatic greasers on the package cars like tractors have had for years. What a differece on those old P800's, now if they could lower the front ends 6 to 8 inches so I wouldn't need a boost to get in them!

F

fredly00

Last week, I ran garbage.(extra)
lack of powersteering wasn't too bad,
but of course after driving a sprinter
one day, I could do that.. ;)

O

over9five

I think they were saving far less than $300 per vehicle. Probably under a hundred. (Someone once told me it was $18) As has been said, with the millions they now spend on injuries caused by manual steering, even UPS must be wishing they hadn't been so cheap.

D

delivery_boy

i was told they didn't invent powersteering til the mid 90's.
jester.gif

U

ups_gal_710

Last week, I ran garbage.(extra)
lack of powersteering wasn't too bad,
but of course after driving a sprinter
one day, I could do that.. ;)

<font color="0000ff">I have driven those sprinters and I just hate them.... I feel like I'm doing the chinese fire drill at every stop. Just dont know what door I want to use. </font>

F

fredly00

That is true, hard to decide which door to use in the sprinter, but they are fast watch out for the turbo!..

Yesterday was my first full day 10 hours in a
500, felt good all day, got in my car to go home
nearly drove off the road when I grabbed the
steering wheel to turn, I almost yanked myself into
the sidewalk.. LOL.

T

toonertoo

I think they bought them for the same reason they have no radios, less maintenance.

F

fredly00

UPs79, haven't heard that.. but its what its called.
Could call it a sweeper, clean up, etc etc... ;)

Anyway, second day with powersteering in a 1000
ahh thats nice. I'm locked into my training route
for the next couple weeks at least.
The lack of PS in the 500 was bad, my back was protesting. Got a nice seat too..