Pre-Employment Drug Screening for UPS Software Engineers

J

jibbs

Look up the Supremacy Clause. You're going to be pretty surprised.

It's technically a crime that you technically could be arrested for by federal LEO.

On the other hand, there's been a court order (MAMM v. USDOJ) telling the Department of Justice to leave legalized and medicinal states alone. Completely.

(More recent source than Supreme Court paper: http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2015...dical-marijuana-dispensaries-follow-state-law)

So if the federal government were to prosecute legal users in legal states, they'll be violating a federal court order (at least as it stands at the moment.)

Long story short, yeah, it's still federally illegal.

Short story long, nah, you're not having the DEA kick your doors down because you smoke weed occasionally. You'd at the very least have to jump up to manufacturing (growing) or trafficking for any kind of federal interest in a legal or medicinal state, in my opinion, and even then, according to the court order, there has to be a direct violation of state law for the fed's to get involved.

It's a really murky situation, to be honest, having individual states passing legislation directly conflicting with federal legislation, and then to have a federal court tell the (federal) Department of Justice that they can only get involved in these particular states if a state law is broken regarding medicinal or recreational marijuana.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
I've read the threads dealing with pre-employment drug screening for UPS, and I understand how they would screen candidates for package handlers and delivery drivers, but for the position that I'm going for, I have found no answers. The position I'm applying for is for an Intermediate Application Developer (basically, a software engineer). From my experience, software engineers do not have to lift heavy packages, drive trucks or operate heavy machinery (for all the potential trolls out there, there's my trump card, lol). So, I would like to know - especially from anyone in the software engineering and IT department - if they do any drug screening for their IT department positions. Not looking for any trolling or flame wars, please.

It's considered a waste of resources wouldn't worry about it....smoke a bowl before the interview.

J

jibbs

It's considered a waste of resources wouldn't worry about it....smoke a bowl before the interview.

I wouldn't go that far, but if I were OP I would proceed with the application process.

If a drug screen comes up, schedule yourself for one.

Leave the interview, wait an hour or two and call UPS and the medical facility to cancel and let them know you've accepted another job (if you think you'll fail.)

You may not be able to repeat this strategy with a company, but it will work once. It might also keep you from getting a job with said company in the future, but there's no "permanent record"-type BS that this will show up on outside of that company. You show up and fail, though? There's a chance that could follow you around for quite a long time...

jaker

trolling
[QUOTE="jibbs, post: 2057545, member: 44488
You may not be able to repeat this strategy with a company, but it will work once. It might also keep you from getting a job with said company in the future, but there's no "permanent record"-type BS that this will show up on outside of that company. You show up and fail, though? There's a chance that could follow you around for quite a long time...[/QUOTE]
It can not follow you around , the company who does the test and only use the info

You can't share medical records of any kind to anyone unless you give permission

And even if that happen to be remotely true then how is a person supposed to clean them themselves up with something like that following them around

J

jibbs

It can not follow you around , the company who does the test and only use the info

You can't share medical records of any kind to anyone unless you give permission

And even if that happen to be remotely true then how is a person supposed to clean them themselves up with something like that following them around

Good to know. I was under the assumption that certain background checks you go for will show medical records, but as you said, having a pre-employment background check done on you implies permission was given. That assumption might even be completely false, to be honest...

I was just trying to think the whole thing through, loose ends and all.

As for your second point: drug laws were never made using common sense in this country. It's all about money, in my opinion.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Just because you fail a pee test doesn't mean your smoking at work...I don't, but I don't see a problem if someone is smoking a little reefer when they get home from a long day...hey at least they're not hungover in the morning like some ppl that go get sloppy after work..as long as it's not interfering with work keep on burnin but remember don't :censored2: where you eat!!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1455590437.015688.jpg

El Correcto

god is dead
Sadly, I don't know many users that could give it up !!!
A matter of fact, don't know any that have.
It's a valid point by the government.
I started smoking weed when I was 12 years old. Smoked pretty much every day since 16 to 23 years old. Once I got into driving school I quit smoking weed, was too paranoid. I rather not stress about something that helps me deal with stress, it's kind of pointless when it comes to that. Also enjoy having money, helps way more than weed did when it comes to stress.

El Correcto

god is dead
Most don't realize that during Prohibition, alcohol related problems went down, so in that sense it worked. Of course, the black market created a number of other problems.

One of the problems I foresee with legalization is, how do companies deal with the liability that goes with drug use? Do they have the right not to employ a person using a legal drug? Are they responsible if any mishap were to occur?

I would think any laws that deal with legalization would also afford protection for employers. Drug testing cost paid for by a tax on the product. Want to use drugs? Better be self employed.
How do companies deal with people drinking alcohol?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Right now it's .04% for a CDL. That works well IMO. Any company that wants to test for that too, I have no problem with.
The problem, for some people at least, is that cannabis is detectable in your system for about 30 days. A drug test is useless for determining if someone is working under the influence. All it does is intrude into people's personal lives away from work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've read the threads dealing with pre-employment drug screening for UPS, and I understand how they would screen candidates for package handlers and delivery drivers, but for the position that I'm going for, I have found no answers. The position I'm applying for is for an Intermediate Application Developer (basically, a software engineer). From my experience, software engineers do not have to lift heavy packages, drive trucks or operate heavy machinery (for all the potential trolls out there, there's my trump card, lol). So, I would like to know - especially from anyone in the software engineering and IT department - if they do any drug screening for their IT department positions. Not looking for any trolling or flame wars, please.
Probably not.
I will copy your question into the Management section and the IT section.
A software developer is classified as management.
UPS calls their Information Technology group - Information Systems.