predictable/disappointing

robotrecall

I took this pre-loader job for some supplemental income. What I didn't expect but should have is the abysmal lack of substantive training. I witnessed a driver this morning verbally assault a pre-loader (also a new hire) on the slide while simultaneously dismantling the load that apparently caused this melt-down. I intervened by advising my team member to locate a supervisor. Other drivers were arriving as well and there was a sense of us (loaders) vs. them (drivers). I think this is ridiculous and unfortunate. I have enough life/work experience to realize how this sort of situation develops. I think the frustrated driver had probably had enough of what might be perceived as gross incompetence on the part of the loader. This is a training issue. The lack of restraint on the part of the driver is another issue altogether and should be addressed before there is an escalated event in the station or worse, on the road. I understand that most if not all drivers have some experience loading trucks and they should not forget where they've come from. If the driver has the insight necessary to stack the "perfect" load then why not show up and be introduced to the loader? Why isn't the station person assigned to training make some effort to have there be some productive interaction between the two parties involved? Maybe it is a symptom of the times we live in where folks seem to have lost the capacity for courteous interaction with other human beings especially with human beings deemed inferior. I am new too to this job but I am all to familiar with the "good 'ol boy" stereotype being played out in the station this morning. I do not expect the drivers to load/reload their own truck. I want to do my job well and I will not be intimidated or bullied by another individual regardless of their better salary or perceived superiority. I am disappointed that the supervisor named earlier in the story didn't arrive until the possibility of some productive intervention could be facilitated. Actually I got the impression that the "joke" fell on the loader of the truck who got verbally assaulted and then unsupported by the supervisor and went home with a sense that drivers are all a** holes. I did get to introduce myself to the drivers of the trucks I am assigned. This occurred because I had missorts to correct. I have to mention that my introduction to the scanner and related procedures has been poor at best and some of the habits being developed on the slide in absence of supervision has allowed some less that ideal practices like infrequent scanning maybe 50%. The initial engagement between the driver and myself was a little stiff until we decided that the goal was the same which is to get the load on and in a fashion that can best serve both the interest of the loader and the driver. The driver of one of the trucks said, "I like to handle every package before departure". Aside from all the obvious jokes that could have been made in a different setting, I asked whether this could be avoided given he would be delivering every package? I don't think the driver expected I could or would have a conversation much less one that wouldn't reduce either of us to "knuckle dragging". Here is the thing I don't automatically assume a driver is going to be a :censored2:. I wonder why then is it assumed that because I am loading a truck that I must be without the cognitive capacity to tie my own shoes and find my way to work without assistance. I load trucks because I want to earn some extra money during the holidays. I am not an embicile and though my team is young they aren't embicilic either. I will figure this out. I will discover how to navigate this BS just like I have done in every other position I have had the fortune or misfortune to occupy. What I won't do is be acquiescent. I consider poor self regulation (restraint) is insufferable and frankly not very smart in a highly volatile social environment. Superiority/privilege/entitlement are obnoxious so don't do it.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I took this pre-loader job for some supplemental income. What I didn't expect but should have is the abysmal lack of substantive training. I witnessed a driver this morning verbally assault a pre-loader (also a new hire) on the slide while simultaneously dismantling the load that apparently caused this melt-down. I intervened by advising my team member to locate a supervisor. Other drivers were arriving as well and there was a sense of us (loaders) vs. them (drivers). I think this is ridiculous and unfortunate. I have enough life/work experience to realize how this sort of situation develops. I think the frustrated driver had probably had enough of what might be perceived as gross incompetence on the part of the loader. This is a training issue. The lack of restraint on the part of the driver is another issue altogether and should be addressed before there is an escalated event in the station or worse, on the road. I understand that most if not all drivers have some experience loading trucks and they should not forget where they've come from. If the driver has the insight necessary to stack the "perfect" load then why not show up and be introduced to the loader? Why isn't the station person assigned to training make some effort to have there be some productive interaction between the two parties involved? Maybe it is a symptom of the times we live in where folks seem to have lost the capacity for courteous interaction with other human beings especially with human beings deemed inferior. I am new too to this job but I am all to familiar with the "good 'ol boy" stereotype being played out in the station this morning. I do not expect the drivers to load/reload their own truck. I want to do my job well and I will not be intimidated or bullied by another individual regardless of their better salary or perceived superiority. I am disappointed that the supervisor named earlier in the story didn't arrive until the possibility of some productive intervention could be facilitated. Actually I got the impression that the "joke" fell on the loader of the truck who got verbally assaulted and then unsupported by the supervisor and went home with a sense that drivers are all a** holes. I did get to introduce myself to the drivers of the trucks I am assigned. This occurred because I had missorts to correct. I have to mention that my introduction to the scanner and related procedures has been poor at best and some of the habits being developed on the slide in absence of supervision has allowed some less that ideal practices like infrequent scanning maybe 50%. The initial engagement between the driver and myself was a little stiff until we decided that the goal was the same which is to get the load on and in a fashion that can best serve both the interest of the loader and the driver. The driver of one of the trucks said, "I like to handle every package before departure". Aside from all the obvious jokes that could have been made in a different setting, I asked whether this could be avoided given he would be delivering every package? I don't think the driver expected I could or would have a conversation much less one that wouldn't reduce either of us to "knuckle dragging". Here is the thing I don't automatically assume a driver is going to be a :censored2:. I wonder why then is it assumed that because I am loading a truck that I must be without the cognitive capacity to tie my own shoes and find my way to work without assistance. I load trucks because I want to earn some extra money during the holidays. I am not an embicile and though my team is young they aren't embicilic either. I will figure this out. I will discover how to navigate this BS just like I have done in every other position I have had the fortune or misfortune to occupy. What I won't do is be acquiescent. I consider poor self regulation (restraint) is insufferable and frankly not very smart in a highly volatile social environment. Superiority/privilege/entitlement are obnoxious so don't do it.
i read a couple sentences then gave up

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Umm, imbecile.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You keep mentioning 'station'. Were you hired by UPS or FX?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Way

TLDR

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
707913E5-606D-4E8A-B95F-35DD057F521E.gif

Box Ox

dhbltd.gif

Observer

Unfortunately a "hostile work environment" is now more the normal than it used to be. Check out all of those Amazon videos and how their workers are treated. The best one is one in UK where Amazon has to bus people from another town to the hub as no one is willing to work there anymore. Training has been non-existent for a long time. It's always blame the worker - shame on the company and shame that the union doesn't help the worker. They certainly know how to spend the dues money. One of these days it will implode. Too many snowflakes out there.