Preload Help

sanjoseups

I just recently got hired for the preload job after working peak

I never had to do a ups car during peak I just split and loaded trailers.

what advice can you give me to be the best pre loader in my city?

UPSGUY72

I just recently got hired for the preload job after working peak

I never had to do a ups car during peak I just split and loaded trailers.

what advice can you give me to be the best pre loader in my city?

You will probably start out unloading a trailer or splitting a belt. You got hired on the PRE-LOAD SHIFT it doesn't mean you are going to start out loading package cars.

welcome to UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bend over and drop your pants. welcome to ups

Thank you for your well-thought out, insightful post. I could tell right away that you will have a lot to offer to the discussion and I am looking forward to each and every one of your future posts. I know I will be a better person for having read your sartorial gems.

curiousbrain

If they did hire you to actually load a car, not just on the preload shift as alluded to above, one general tip is to work up the belt (without crossing those next to you) and collect the packages for each car in a stack; if you are running into a car with a single package each time, it will not end well.

Obviously, if you're just on the preload shift ... you can just ignore this post.

Robert91

I have to commend you on your great attitude! That alone will make you the best preloader!:peaceful:

One thing I found very helpful was to get to know the drivers as well as possible - they are in a sense our customers. Work on keeping a straight and orginized load. Once you have that mastered, find out how to go the extra mile with your load. For instance, loading a building stop by suite number. Things like this can greatly improve how a drivers day goes. Each driver has a different approach to how they would like their load.

This is just my two cents; though, I have only been preloading for a few months.

Again, like everyone else said, you may be unloading on the preload shift.

dillweed

Welcome to the preload! It will take a few months to get used to your area so don't get discouraged. Look at every pkg carefully to make sure it's on the right truck in the right spot. Stack neatly if you fall behind in checking those labels because they will give you more grief for misloading than for stacking.

I appreciate your great attitude but don't try to be the best in your city right off the bat. Just be the best YOU can be at any given time. Don't beat yourself up or take anything personally. Preload is stressful and sometimes the drivers are grumpy when they see their loads, even if they are good ones. Listen to your drivers and try to understand what you can reasonably do to make their day smoother. However, don't carry their load on your back. Do your best, look out for yourself, communicate well and be safe.

Christmas

thank you for your well-thought out, insightful post. I could tell right away that you will have a lot to offer to the discussion and i am looking forward to each and every one of your future posts. I know i will be a better person for having read your sartorial gems.

top of the morning to ya!

BrownNinjaz

Don't let people take advantage of you over there 'cause you're a good worker. I personally like UPS. I am currently a loader at the twilight shift and I love it. You're working out and getting paid, that's a plus. I can do 1k an hour as a loader. I will be transferring to the pre-load shift as an unloader (thank goodness) I just want to unload without people telling me what to do. I think pre-load is best because you get out early so you have the entire day to do your things. I plan to find a 2nd job in the evening as a part-time. I want to know if the unloading at the pre-load shift is similar to other shift?

PS: Plus I heard working out in the morning is best. :):) You'll feel great throughout the day.

S

splozi

If you will actually be loading package cars, I assume they will put you through the regular training that they do all preloaders.

Southwestern

Your not hired as a permanent employee yet, they still have 4 days to tell you that your not needed next year.

Perhaps it's only regional, but in my center they have the right to use seasonal employees via the first three weeks of January. They're forecasting heavier-than-usual volumes during those weeks and have told the seasonals a decision will be made later.

UPSGUY72

Perhaps it's only regional, but in my center they have the right to use seasonal employees via the first three weeks of January. They're forecasting heavier-than-usual volumes during those weeks and have told the seasonals a decision will be made later.

In my area all the seasonal employees are laid off by Dec 31. We only usual casual driver from Jun 1 to the second week in Sept. to cover vacation and from Oct 1 to Dec 31 then we use temp help for peak include casual drivers. If the temp help / casual driver are working any other time of the year besides then they are now considered permanent UPS employee.