Presidential Candidates

brazenbrown

Taxes
No we can't. The tax policy and the tax code that exists allows for politicians to play the poor against the rich. Tax shelters typically favor the rich. If you keep taxes low rich people wouldn't spend time trying to shelter their money, instead they will invest which is good for everyone.

The shelter comment was in joking sorry about the confusion.
I'm all for low taxes...

Voting
The age is debateable. The problem with everyone being able to vote is that people who don't have a stake in anything can vote to take part or all of your stake. Do you think companies would allow all of its employees to vote including those that don't own shares. Of course not they would all vote themselves more money without taking on the risks or responsibility. So why allow people to vote themselves money from the public treasury?

Having a job, being a responsible citizen, and contributing to the economy and the welfare of our nation are good enough reasons to be able to vote. I don't think home ownership should be a prerequisite for voting because there are several reasons why people can't buy a home or choose not to and they should not be discriminated against because of it. In other words you're saying that the millions of Americans who rent don't get to vote?? I don't agree..

Gun Control
Part of the reason for the 2nd Amendment was not only to allow the citizens to protect themselves and their family from invaders and intruders to defend their own property, but also to protect ourselves from our own government. If Hillary gets elected and she behaves like a totalitarian dictator, the Declaration of Independence says "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness” What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.

What part of " we should have the right to bare arms" did you not understand??!!:surprised:

Just because I'm not for some fringe, lunatic militia groups using bazooka's and grenade launchers based on their interpretation of what the government is doing doesn't mean I'm not for lock and load when you need to protect yourself.:angry:

By the way I agreed with most of your positions...So chill:wink2:

Char

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
brazenbrown said:
What part of " we should have the right to bare arms" did you not understand??!!

I'm with you there. It's amazing how many people fail to understand the important role of short sleeved shirts in keeping our country free.

wkmac

Char,

Thanks for the response and big :thumbup: to you and Braze as your response seems to have opened up the discussion abit to where people are listing and talking specifics issues instead of just general characterizations based on stereotypes of party affiliations. I normally don't rate posts or posters but in your case and Brazen's I'm giving you the top rating. It's not that I agree or disagree with you on every point but I just greatly appreciate the openness and the upfrontness both of you showed in expressing your thoughts. We need people to be specific on the issues and IMO this leeds to ideas being thrown around that in time solutions could begin to emerge.

If America would just for a moment step up and lay everything out on the table, we may not end all taxes but we just might come to a solution that in time could either end all direct taxes (I'm all for that on the federal level) or at least you could see not only how the money is spent but see real results from it. Gov't has done so many things that in time people working in those fields for longer term job security turn a possible solvable problem into a insolvable rubic's cube. The 2 people that suffer are the taxpayers strapped with the financial burden and the gov't programs targeted people the said program is suppose to help who at best get cents on the dollar and thus the problem is never solved, it never ends and the gov't bureuacracy sits in the middle enjoying the wealth of it's plunder while those on the opposite outsides bare the burden of their bureacratic pleasures.

I'm an anarch-libertarian especially on the federal level (state and local I'm more open to some Statism as it's closer to home and easier to control) if you need a catagory to put me in and this automatically sez I'm totally opposed to all means of federal welfare. That said, I also have compassion for those in need and Jesus correctly said they (the poor) would always be with us as life deals hard times on good people. When I give (by force) monies in the form of taxes to a welfare system, I would expect the same results as I would if I went to a private entity and give them money for the same task. Do you take your car to a repairman, pay him good money and only expect him to never fix the car in the first place so it'snever in good running order? Sounds like the repairman is just guaranteeing a market and repeat business. Ah, you are starting to learn something about the gov't world of beraucracy because what happens to those beraucratics and elected manipulators if they actually solve the issue and problem?

Why then if we allow the gov't to extract monies from us by force creating a compelled monopoly (you thought those ended with the robber barons) and false market, then why not demand of them resolution, problem solving and return on investment as we would any private entity?

Ever told a gov't worker that they work for you? They do work for you so why did that suggestion just make most of the folks here have a heartbeat skip at that very thought? That is where we are folks. Most if not about all Americans in the end fear their gov't so what does that say about our gov't? Is it normal to fear something that is good? It's time we begin to talk among ourselves and no we won't agree on every issue, I know none of you here will ever even entertain a pure anarcho-libertarian society but I do know most of you are open to areas of freedom that I also agree with so let's take a moment and see what could washout.

Again, Great job guys!

Char

Most if not about all Americans in the end fear their gov't so what does that say about our gov't? Is it normal to fear something that is good? [/quote said:
You should fear your government.

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
-- Thomas Paine

Char

brazenbrown

Char,

Thanks for the response and big :thumbup: to you and Braze as your response seems to have opened up the discussion abit to where people are listing and talking specifics issues instead of just general characterizations based on stereotypes of party affiliations. I normally don't rate posts or posters but in your case and Brazen's I'm giving you the top rating. It's not that I agree or disagree with you on every point but I just greatly appreciate the openness and the upfrontness both of you showed in expressing your thoughts. We need people to be specific on the issues and IMO this leeds to ideas being thrown around that in time solutions could begin to emerge.

Mac,

I appreciate your comments as I take you as a open minded, call em as you see it kind of guy! (mean't as a compliment) :wink2:

If America would just for a moment step up and lay everything out on the table, we may not end all taxes but we just might come to a solution that in time could either end all direct taxes (I'm all for that on the federal level) or at least you could see not only how the money is spent but see real results from it. Gov't has done so many things that in time people working in those fields for longer term job security turn a possible solvable problem into a insolvable rubic's cube. The 2 people that suffer are the taxpayers strapped with the financial burden and the gov't programs targeted people the said program is suppose to help who at best get cents on the dollar and thus the problem is never solved, it never ends and the gov't bureuacracy sits in the middle enjoying the wealth of it's plunder while those on the opposite outsides bare the burden of their bureacratic pleasures.

Or how about their bureaucratic ineptness? You know paying some taxes wouldn't be so bad if our tax revenues actually did what they're suppose to do! I hate paying taxes so others can freeload, it makes me sick! The next President needs to keep taxes low and cut the B.S. spending and tell the losers (not mental patients) to :censored2: or get off the pot or even better yet relocate to Chavez country...

Why then if we allow the gov't to extract monies from us by force creating a compelled monopoly (you thought those ended with the robber barons) and false market, then why not demand of them resolution, problem solving and return on investment as we would any private entity?

Ever told a gov't worker that they work for you? They do work for you so why did that suggestion just make most of the folks here have a heartbeat skip at that very thought?

Wow, I love it....It is our responsibility as tax paying citizens to not only pull over to the side of the road, demand competence on the phone or when waiting in line at any state or federal offices (DMV) but to demand proficiency and maybe even take time to reprimand or supervise these individuals and let um know who the hell they're working for!!:happy-very:

Most if not about all Americans in the end fear their gov't so what does that say about our gov't?

Be careful Char might just whip out a rocket launcher and finish them off!!:happy-very: Only mean't in fun Char!!

Again, Great job guys!

brazenbrown

You should fear your government.

Really, you should fear anarchy !

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
-- Thomas Paine

I don't think that it is actually government itself but rather the people we have elected to be our government...

Kinda makes you wana go out and vote next time...Or am I too naive to think that we the people can elect the right people??

Maybe...Just maybe if we all pull together ( I know some stupid utopian idea) and can actually put the right people in government that will actually function and do what's right for this great nation!

Blabber, blabber blabber....it's getting late...Nighty nite!

Char

Char

I agree it is the people that make government evil. Which is why the Constitution isn't so much a grantor of rights, but can be more accurately described as a restraint on government (particularly the size and scope of government). Which is why federal powers are specifically enumerated. Article 1 Section 8 for example, specifically spells out what Congress has the authority to raise money for. If you read it you will notice there is nothing in Article 1 Section 8 about raising funds for retirement, education, healthcare etc... Because Congress does raise funds for these programs it can be easily surmized that the federal government has siezed power from the states and the people (Amendment 10) along with their freedom thus taking steps from becoming a necessary evil to an intolerable evil.

Char

brazenbrown

I agree it is the people that make government evil. Which is why the Constitution isn't so much a grantor of rights, but can be more accurately described as a restraint on government (particularly the size and scope of government). Which is why federal powers are specifically enumerated. Article 1 Section 8 for example, specifically spells out what Congress has the authority to raise money for. If you read it you will notice there is nothing in Article 1 Section 8 about raising funds for retirement, education, healthcare etc... Because Congress does raise funds for these programs it can be easily surmized that the federal government has siezed power from the states and the people (Amendment 10) along with their freedom thus taking steps from becoming a necessary evil to an intolerable evil.

Char

These types of injustices as you've described have been happening for along time with both parties...Precedent has been established.

Rather than approaching this from an "intolerable evil" point of view maybe we can resolve it another way.

I may be crazy but....

Perhaps it's time to revisit the constitution to bring it up to date with a renewed understanding that it will be held accountable? We need to include the best minds available, a distinguished group of people from all political sides, meeting with the approval of the people (US) to revise the constitution in current day language and standards.

Then we the people get to vote on the finished product with only a 75% or better passing grade acceptable.

Of course it cannot be changed in such a way to stray from what our fore-fathers originally put forth but only to update and reinforce our commitment to it for the 21st century and beyond.

Once re-established with an emphasis on holding politicians accountable there will be no excuses and the penalties if they don't should be harsh (and part of the new language) because upholding the constitution is vital to our future more now then ever before.

The whole renewing process is also a way to bring into focus what gets overlooked by our current and new generations of people who really have no idea about the constitution...The constitution is to many a history lesson in school and never really gets much thought after that. This could generate a new grassroots movement to effectively get people involved in something really worthwhile...

Just a thought!!

wkmac

Braze,

I took your comments as a compliment and thank you so much for those kind words!

Braze and Char,

Nice discussion between you two! Excellent thoughts, good points. This is great to see IMO.

On anarchy, the link to the definition was a good one meaning the absense of law or some form of goverance. I would agree the vast majority of people would hold that anarchy isn't a viable form of society in which to live and they do have a good point. However, does the presense of law or a governing presense in society guarantee the society and it's people will be a lawful one and no crimes will be committed? Obviously the answer to that is no as well so let's agree no matter what there's no perfect world and I'd venture to say we all here agree with that as well.

Char said it best when he/she (sorry Char and Braze as I don't know your genders) stated that the problem with gov't is the people itself. I'll go a little more specific, it's the heart or nature of man that is the problem so this really comes down IMO to a more philosophical (religious if you will) issue. This becomes complicated as well come from various POV and religious dogmas but overall I'd think it's safe to say we all agree that murder, theft, rape and other similar crimes are wrong and therefore forbidden. With all the variety of folks here I'd like to discuss this sometime but this is for another time and day. The point was that we do have areas we all agree.

Now taking the absence of gov't or law, I'd like to use the traffic intersection to prove what IMO is a fact about human nature and people. Ever been at a traffic light and watch some moran flat run the light? Yeah me too. Ever also wish a traffic cop was sitting there at the time? Count me in as well. Ever see the cop there and get the offender and you cheer? Add me in again. Did the presence of the light and traffic laws prevent any violation? No, it does reduce the chance granted but it doesn't totally eliminate all violations. Generally what happens more than anything else is someone pushes the envelop and runs it as the light goes red and the other turns green. Now most lights too have a built in delay to where when one light turns red the other delays for a second or 2 and then turns green to compensate for those envelop pushers out there. So you see even the police powers know there are law breakers even when law is present but we still will push the bounderies as we assume the other guy will obey granting us a clear path to safety.

When the chaos ensues is when we have 2 drivers coming from different directions with one assuming the other guy will pause for him and the other guy waiting on the green as if he's in the final round of an NHRA drag race and wants to cut a great light! The result? Crash!!!!! Did the law work? Obviously not and in one sense you might even suggest it caused the crash because it put these 2 into an assuming mindset. Where else might law also place us into an assuming mindset? Give it some thought.

Now let's go to the anarchy traffic intersection and we can in some respect by thinking back to that intersection where the traffic light is not functioning at all. What do most people do in that situation? Most assume nothing at all and act accordingly in order to avoid an accident. Sure you still have the occassional idiot but everyone is so on their P's and Q's that when the idiot appears, everyone is ready to respond and accidents are avoided. About the only after effects are people who swear up and down they don't curse uttered a few choice words!:happy-very:

My point is, there never is a total absense of law or governace as even when it appears to be absent, people themselves will establish their own proper behavior amongst themselves and traditionally if falls very close to the basic morals we hold dear in society at large. For the lone libertine (not a libertarian and I think some of you don't know the difference) at some point the rest of society will corner his arse and read him the riot act and depending upon his responce dispatch him from the presence of their community or if need be and is warranted dispatch his arse from the presence of the face of the earth!:wink2:

For the sake of discussion
As to a libertine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertine

As to a libertarian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian

Char, as to article 1 section 8 of the Constitution, you are dead on the money. We are so far from an art. 1 sec. 8 gov't that it ain't even funny.

Braze,

Amend and update the Constitution! Interesting idea and I've heard that expressed more than once on the premise that we are more advanced today and more complicated than we were then but is that true? What guided the founding fathers more than anything else is drafting the documents that in time made the country we now call home?

In a nutshell it was history and even moreso an understanding of the nature of man based on the knowledge of that history. Sure, they didn't understand the vastness of the universe as we do, the computer, quantum physics, quantum mechaincs or even quantum theory but they weren't drafting a gov't to govern those areas.

Their idea of gov't was one that was limited in nature and scope with well definded areas of governance. They knew there would be unforeseens and allowed for such and the amendment process is one way. They also included a 9th and 10th amendment that pretty must said, "what we don't specify to the federal gov't level we leave that in the hands of the States and the people."

This was done because they knew by the nature of man that when you started a centralizing of power into the hands of an ever decreasing few that the heart of man would come into play and greedy men with a skillful minds of deception would in the end rule the day. The idea was that the basic rules of moral principles that govern us on the day to day essence that is life is best left to the people and how they choose to govern themselves on a local basis where they live.

The idea being that having 13 as in States and then of those 1000's of local communities that some would get it right and doubtedly some were gonna get it wrong. People if left free and given the facts and knowledge will generally tend to gravitate towards the better deal and thus the pressure is on the bad communities to step up or people will either flee to a better place or step up and change what they have before them.

I think what we need more than anything else is to read that constitution and then read the men that wrote it to see what they meant and intended. If then we choose to disagree, then maybe you have a valid point on the path we should travel. I contend for now that we are ignorant of the Constitution and the underlying premise of history and philosophy that inspired it's creation in the first place.

And all this coming from an Anti-Federalist who opposes the Constitution to begin with! :happy-very:

Here's a little something for starters if you want to know what that is about!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-federalist

wkmac

If you ever want to see how screwed up we are here's a fun exercise which I've done myself and always had my kids do. IMO biblical moral code is libertarian and therefore I teach the morals first and let the political and economics take care of themselves as they always do.

Take the commandment "Thou Shalt not Steal" and now sit back with pen and paper and imagine a world where everything in clear violation of that commandment would not exist anymore. Now of those things that don't exist anymore, take everything that was created to compensate for the violation of thou shalt not steal that you listed and remove them from existence.

If you are honest as kids tend to be better at in these kind of cases sometimes, it won't take long to see that economically and even politically, our world as we know it would collaspe around us. Mass amounts of people out of work, business as we know would be no more and you could go on.

On a Philosophical level, what does that say about us and our ideas of law and governance and the society we have created?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Dear Abby,

My husband is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me from the beginning, and, when I confront him, he denies everything. What's worse, everyone knows that he cheats on me. It is so humiliating. Also, since he lost his job six years ago, he hasn't even looked for a new one. All he does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and b..s.. with his buddies while I have to work to pay the bills. Since our daughter went away to college he doesn't even pretend to like me..and hints that I may be a lesbian. What should I do?

Signed: Clueless
----------------------------------------
Dear Clueless,

Grow up and dump him. Good grief, woman. You don't need him anymore! You're a United States Senator from New York running for President of the United States......Act like one!

moreluck

golden ticket member
2008 Election Issue!!

GET A BILL STARTED TO PLACE ALL POLITICIANS ON [FONT=arial,helvetica]SOCIAL SECURITY:
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years.
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Our Senators and Congresswomen DO NOT pay into Social Security and, of course, they do not collect from it. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]You see, Social Security benefits were not suitable for persons of their rare elevation in society. They felt they should have a special plan for themselves. So, many years ago they voted in their own benefit plan. [/FONT]​

[FONT=arial,helvetica]​

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]In more recent years, no congressperson has felt the need to change it. After all, it is a great plan [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]For all practical purposes their plan works like this: [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]When they retire, they continue to draw the same pay until they die. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Except it may increase from time to time for cost of living adjustments.. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]​

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]For example, Senator Byrd and Congressman White and their wives may expect to draw $7,800,000.00 (that's Seven Million, Eight-Hundred Thousand Dollars), with their wives drawing $275, 000.00 during the last years of their lives. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]​

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]This is calculated on an average life span for each of those two Dignitaries. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]​
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Younger Dignitaries who retire at an early age, will receive much more during the rest of their lives. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Their cost for this excellent plan is $0.00.. NADA..! ZILCH... [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]This little perk they voted for themselves is free to them. You and I pick up the tab for this plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the General Funds; [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]"OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]From our own Social Security Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into, every payday until we retire (which amount is matched by our employer). We can expect to get an average of $1,000 per month after retirement. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]​

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Or, in other words, we would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly benefits for another 68 years and one (1) month to equal Senator! Bill Bradley's benefits! [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]​

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]​

[/FONT]​

[FONT=arial,helvetica]That change would be to: [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security plan with the rest of us [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Then sit back..... [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]And see how fast they would fix it. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe good changes will evolve. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]

[/FONT]​

[/FONT]

livinitup

Congressman Ron Paul does not participate in the congressional pension plan. He doesn't believe the tax payer should fund his retirement.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Streisand, a longtime supporter of the New York senator's husband, former President Bill Clinton, is the latest show business luminary to back Clinton's White House run, following directors Steven Spielberg and Rob Reiner."

Oh boy, 3 people I intensely dislike are for Hillary. I'm turning to the power of prayer......Please Lord, don't let her get elected !!!

Fat calves will take from the haves!! :angry: