Pretty Cool

I once had a center manager share his deepest fears in life. He gave me ways to screw him after it and I didn't. He was the first center manager that I've ever felt was a genuine man and a good person. This threw me for a loop as I had never had this happen to me. See I had a lot of real bad experances at ups that soured my views. I'm still weary of most and don't trust anyone but this man kinda took the edge off and payed it forward.

There are some real good human beings at ups they are just hard to find with the way the ups culture has changed. This man wants to go to heaven and figured out that all that really mattered was family. He took it on the chin a lot but never wavered.

Good man

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A co worker took up a collection for me when my Mom died, that was 2000. I was her care giver, mostly. He knew, I guess that she probably didnt have life ins. It was a pretty large amount. I never expected it, and never forgot it.

Yesterday, not from the company, but a customer. Two large boxes of survival food, Im guessing she was 80 or so, just had hip surgery. She said I really hate to ask you, but could you put those in my living room? I said well really I am not suppose to go in your house. But I will if you dont tell. She offered to give me the address of the place, and I said no I dont have that kind of money on me right now. But thanks, and she said no problem, Im loaded, I just laughed at her and went and got the other one.

When I was leaving she tried to give me a 50 dollar bill. I said no sweetheart I cant take that, she said I wont tell. I told her it was a pleasure to meet her, and hope she got better soon. I get paid well to do this job, we just did a little secret thing, pay it forward. She said I am trying, and you wont take it, LOL. She was a gem. Thats what keeps me going.

A co worker took up a collection for me when my Mom died, that was 2000. I was her care giver, mostly. He knew, I guess that she probably didnt have life ins. It was a pretty large amount. I never expected it, and never forgot it.

Yesterday, not from the company, but a customer. Two large boxes of survival food, Im guessing she was 80 or so, just had hip surgery. She said I really hate to ask you, but could you put those in my living room? I said well really I am not suppose to go in your house. But I will if you dont tell. She offered to give me the address of the place, and I said no I dont have that kind of money on me right now. But thanks, and she said no problem, Im loaded, I just laughed at her and went and got the other one.

When I was leaving she tried to give me a 50 dollar bill. I said no sweetheart I cant take that, she said I wont tell. I told her it was a pleasure to meet her, and hope she got better soon. I get paid well to do this job, we just did a little secret thing, pay it forward. She said I am trying, and you wont take it, LOL. She was a gem. Thats what keeps me going.
Sometimes when you need it the most you come in contact with good people. I love good people.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Back in the 80's on Founders Day the center manager would get three or four tables at a local pizza joint and order a few pizzas and a couple of pitchers of beer with a standing invite for all employees to come by after work( these were back in the days of 8 hour dispatches)and for an hour or so The wall between Manager and Employee came down ,but that was a really long time ago
Our last retiree was a couple of months ago and it was briefly mentioned in the PCM

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Back in the 80's on Founders Day the center manager would get three or four tables at a local pizza joint and order a few pizzas and a couple of pitchers of beer with a standing invite for all employees to come by after work( these were back in the days of 8 hour dispatches)and for an hour or so The wall between Manager and Employee came down ,but that was a really long time ago
Our last retiree was a couple of months ago and it was briefly mentioned in the PCM
That's a damned shame. A couple years ago, a satellite driver hit Circle of Honor. I carried the TP60 to him everyday. When his color xerox certificate arrived, I was instructed to give it to him along with the form to order his jacket and sleeve patches.

I asked:"Don't wanna bring him in and brag on him a little in front of everyone?" Nope.

Best believe the company used his name in the two page ad they buy from New York Times each year.

Sent using a Potato

Indecisi0n

That's a damned shame. A couple years ago, a satellite driver hit Circle of Honor. I carried the TP60 to him everyday. When his color xerox certificate arrived, I was instructed to give it to him along with the form to order his jacket and sleeve patches.

I asked:"Don't wanna bring him in and brag on him a little in front of everyone?" Nope.

Best believe the company used his name in the two page ad they buy from New York Times each year.

Sent using a Potato
It bothers me more when they act like they give a :censored2:. I'd rather them hand me the certificate turn around and walk away without saying a word.

JL 0513

It's all too easy for us to come on here and complain about everything that might be wrong with our job or life. But take a look around the world. The majority of the world's population is dirt poor and live in hell holes. We make more every hour or two than these people make in a week of hard labor. Our hard work is easy in comparison.

It may help one's attitude on life to remember that we live in the lap of luxury compared to the vast majority of the world. Enjoy it now, because it may not last. We are living in the small exception in human existence, built on the founding principles of America - freedom, liberty, and free market capitalism. These things are shrinking which means we can only go in one direction from here. This lifestyle we take for granted is fragile, so appreciate it.

Indecisi0n

It's all too easy for us to come on here and complain about everything that might be wrong with our job or life. But take a look around the world. The majority of the world's population is dirt poor and live in hell holes. We make more every hour or two than these people make in a week of hard labor. Our hard work is easy in comparison.

It may help one's attitude on life to remember that we live in the lap of luxury compared to the vast majority of the world. Enjoy it now, because it may not last. We are living in the small exception in human existence, built on the founding principles of America - freedom, liberty, and free market capitalism. These things are shrinking which means we can only go in one direction from here. This lifestyle we take for granted is fragile, so appreciate it.
I give appreciation where it's due, thanks Teamsters!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

I get that, I really do. I am grateful. I watched my children eat breakfast in front of the castle at Magic Kingdom and thought, "Would this be happening if it weren't for the monkey suit I put on every Mon-Fri?"

The answer is:Yes. I did this. No matter who cuts the checks, I earned it. I made that happen.

We all know it takes a certain type of person to do what we do day in and day out. Not just to do it but, do it well. And man, I do it damn well.

Is it wrong, for us to expect a smidge of humanity from a place we devote so much of our own to? Should we wash their feet and bless them for the opportunity to earn them billions in profit every year?

Or, should they do the right thing and honor the milestones they capitalize on?

Sent using a Potato

browntroll

i remember one time i was getting a ride home from a pt sup he was buying me breakfast for helping him out
that day. we stopped at a gas station and we get approached by a young homeless guy asking for food or money
the sup asks him "ill buy you food from the gas station but do you want a job?" the homeless guy says hes been trying to
get a job but no one wants to hire him specially the way he looks. pt sup drives him to his house fills out the application and
2 weeks later i see the homeless guy working. he is still with the company i believe he transferred to another hub
since he was able to find a cheap place to live but had to transfer so he wont travel so far.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We had a PT sup...who'd worked here maybe 15 years...he was never my sup but I knew him pretty well. He always had a smile on his face, or would crack a joke... he never let this place get to him. he had three jobs... He'd come to ups straight from his night job... And sleep in the parking lot for a couple of hours before the sort almost everyday. One day during peak a few years ago, he got out of work and fell asleep at the wheel and never made it home. His FT sup who ran the primary starting a collection for the guy's wife and 3 kids...the building donated about 5 grand.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Sent using a Potato
They don't do anything for the Circle of Honor drivers here anymore...a few years ago they'd have a morning presentation and I think there was a dinner or something. 2 of my drivers that I load for both made the 2014 Circle of Honor....the only reason I know is because I read their names in the ups newsletter that came in the mail. They're both too busy filing 9.5 grievances because they're overdispatched 4x a week.

Z

ZQXC

They don't do anything for the Circle of Honor drivers here anymore...a few years ago they'd have a morning presentation and I think there was a dinner or something. 2 of my drivers that I load for both made the 2014 Circle of Honor....the only reason I know is because I read their names in the ups newsletter that came in the mail. They're both too busy filing 9.5 grievances because they're overdispatched 4x a week.

So the senior drivers in your building get to choose their loader?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So the senior drivers in your building get to choose their loader?
Some building you can bid on pulls....my building doesn't have that. Just coincidence that I load for these guys...pulls are organized by towns, villages and hamlets....both guys' routes happen to be in the same town.