PSP vs. Purple Promise

fedex_rtd

How many of you remember People Service Profit?
Back in the day PSP was a good concept PEOPLE, providing good customer SERVICE, provided PROFIT, provided good pay and benefits that kept PEOPLE happy. It was a concept that worked for everyone.
Now we have the Purple Promise / Purple Penis...what does that provide for the "people" that have daily customer contact??? We are expected to give 100% to provide that expected service to our customers, but what do we get in return??? What does a penis do...that's what we ended up with.

Remember when your station gets around to the SFA feedback time, ask your manager what the Purple Promise/Penis has provided for you? How is that pay progression? Any chance your management team would be willing to put a "promise" in writing about that? How about a real pension, something that you could live on, instead of having to fund your own pension via a 401k, how many of you can actually put some real money into that???
The Purple Penis/Promise is only a one way promise...how about asking for something in return?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
That's why I call it the Purple-Headed Promise.

Yes, I am one who does remember the actual days of PSP - although I must say the memory has grown quite foggy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's why I call it the Purple-Headed Promise.

Yes, I am one who does remember the actual days of PSP - although I must say the memory has grown quite foggy.

I'm not sure which is better, People Screwing People or the Throbbing Purple Promise. Neither really meant anything, but both sound good on the mission statements and corporate press releases.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm not sure which is better, People Screwing People or the Throbbing Purple Promise. Neither really meant anything, but sound good on the mission statements and corporate releases.
Yep. Both of them are pure PR manure.

Serf

Update on the Purple Promise. Federal Express has closed a smaller station in a major market that is about 27 miles away from my station. With constant Northeast traffic, weather, late freight, and road work, we now have 250-400 late deliveries daily. Our sort is combat. Our drivers are doubling the distances, hence more fuel. And we cannot perform the PM reload with out having several extra shuttle drivers on standby because of routes getting in after 21:10 and needing to run shuttles to expedite.
Our Engineers could not manage routes before hand, now they are getting dominated. All to save money on a leased building that was vital in us being able to perform service. With the amount of lates and money we are losing, it is just a matter of time before these customers use another provider or we bleed out enough to make real changes.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Speaking of the Purple Promise.... Have any of you heard about how FedEx is now going to stick it to their customers? Apparently, they are testing a one attempt delivery program in Texas, much like UPS' Access Point. Customers will have one chance to get their package. If they're not home on the first attempt with a signature required pkg, the package automatically goes to the closest Kinkos for them to "fetch" it. How's that for customer service?

dezguy

Speaking of the Purple Promise.... Have any of you heard about how FedEx is now going to stick it to their customers? Apparently, they are testing a one attempt delivery program in Texas, much like UPS' Access Point. Customers will have one chance to get their package. If they're not home on the first attempt with a signature required pkg, the package automatically goes to the closest Kinkos for them to "fetch" it. How's that for customer service?
We've been doing that up here for a couple of years now. One attempt and it goes to a local business to be held for 7 days. Don't pick it up in that time frame and it gets sent back to the shipper or destroyed at shippers request.

FedEx. Nailing that customer service they brag about.

whenIgetthere

Update on the Purple Promise. Federal Express has closed a smaller station in a major market that is about 27 miles away from my station. With constant Northeast traffic, weather, late freight, and road work, we now have 250-400 late deliveries daily. Our sort is combat. Our drivers are doubling the distances, hence more fuel. And we cannot perform the PM reload with out having several extra shuttle drivers on standby because of routes getting in after 21:10 and needing to run shuttles to expedite.
Our Engineers could not manage routes before hand, now they are getting dominated. All to save money on a leased building that was vital in us being able to perform service. With the amount of lates and money we are losing, it is just a matter of time before these customers use another provider or we bleed out enough to make real changes.

If it's the station I'm thinking about, the building owner wants to tear the building down and build a hotel.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
We tried 2 attempts for a real short time a few years ago.
That went over like a lead balloon.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
AUTO-REDIRECT requires the recipient to make arrangements to receive their package after ONE attempt. While it IS left for pickup at the nearest FedEx Office or WSC, we WILL retrieve and deliver once the arrangement has been made. It only applies to residential deliveries. It's also saves a ton of nonproductive attempts.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We've been doing that up here for a couple of years now. One attempt and it goes to a local business to be held for 7 days. Don't pick it up in that time frame and it gets sent back to the shipper or destroyed at shippers request.

FedEx. Nailing that customer service they brag about.

Mailing the employees even worse. Read the thread on splits. Now, that is the true Purple Promise. Devote your entire day to FedEx and get paid 8 hours.

Purple no more

Back in the day... we had split shift differentials, jump seat, and PSP. It is what made FedEx the world class company that it was. Now, the bean counters are in control and it is all about profit. Now I don't have a problem with profit, but when it chases off the people (like me) that made the company what it was... FedEx is going to implode, I am sorry to say...

Slick silver

I actually think that the guarantee 35 hr a week will eventually be gone to save money. That has to be the next take away. Then I would see this place implode, because people wouldnt stick around anymore.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I actually think that the guarantee 35 hr a week will eventually be gone to save money. That has to be the next take away. Then I would see this place implode, because people wouldnt stick around anymore.
People are already leaving at record numbers because it doesn't take long for the newbies to discover they're getting a :censored2:ty deal.

dezguy

Nah, paid sick days are next. They've already cut ours down to 70% pay. After that, they'll go after PB's and floaters, followed by anything more than 2 weeks vacation.

Slick silver

True, but some people probably have stuck around because maybe they are only working lets 28 to 30 hrs a week. But getting an extra 5 for nothing.

MAKAVELI

If they cut minimums they will have reached the point of no return. Most 10 + year employees that are not topped out at my station are actively looking for another job. This new 10 step plan is nothing but a carrot on a stick and most see right through the bs. The minimums would be the final straw. Good luck FedEx with your new part-time workforce.

Artee

How many packages on your truck now are signature required? 2% So a couple people a day will have to go down to Kinkos to get their package. Probably half of them will be happy because they don't have to wait until the next day to get their shipment. The other half will be irritated, but it is such a small amount that it doesn't worry FedEx. Look how many packages a night miss the plane, break open and go missing, get lost, or stolen. Its not 100-200. The numbers would shock you. Don't hear much complaining over that.