PT cover driver forced to work saturday discipline

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In order to force the PT cover drivers to work, they would have to force all FT drivers first. I believe some of you are going under the assumption Saturday is still a PT classification day, to run air. With the implementation of ground on Saturday, that is no longer true.

Gloominati

D.Y.S.
Don't have this problem in my hub, Saturday air is always run by the same handful of top seniority drivers.
Now, whenever Saturday ground rolls around, hoho, that'll be a whole other realm of :censored2:.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In order to force the PT cover drivers to work, they would have to force all FT drivers first. I believe some of you are going under the assumption Saturday is still a PT classification day, to run air. With the implementation of ground on Saturday, that is no longer true.

Only in those centers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
OP is talking about Saturday air.
Only air ran on Saturdays here but I run regular routes through the week. I always have 5 punches but 2-3 a week being at preload.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I totally missed that.
Dude, you're talk of Saturday ground has me all butt hurt, I can't even read that thread anymore.
tumblr_myod82YgrU1rcwa0zo3_250.gif

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Going under the impression Saturday air is still PT in your center, they must ask PT qualified, ask FT qualified, force PT qualified, and force FT qualified. The purpose of PT cover drivers in the Souther Supplement is to cover vacations and vacancies of FT drivers. Saturday air is a signup basis only and they cannot force you unless they have gone through the first procedure in seniority order.

If they get to the point of forcing qualified PT cover drivers after asking FT and PT guys, you can DQ yourself from PT cover driving, but that also means you don't PT cover during the week.

Hope this helps.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Not tr
I'm probably wrong but if you're a TCD I don't see how you can be forced to run air on Saturday. At the very least all full-time drivers should have the option for that day before it ever gets to a TCD.

Are they paying you air rate or ground rate? Are you getting time and a half if it's your 6th punch? Hub days and driving days should count.
Not true....if you are a full time driver they HAVE to pay you ground rate for Saturday......as for being a cover driver they can get away with paying you air rate for Saturday's......to the OP, if there are less seniority cover drivers not working Saturdays and they are forcing you in I wouldn't worry about it...just grieve any discipline they give you....they should be posting a volunteer list and if not enough people sign up then they should be starting at the bottom of the seniority list working their way up forcing people in.

They can force in reverse seniority order. Unless there's a qualified part time driver under you that they're not using, you are out of luck.

There are numerous under me that they are allowing not to work saturday, also how can they make me miss out on a full days work on Monday at driver pay and be made to work saturday at air pay?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There are numerous under me that they are allowing not to work saturday,
Then why are you still talking here instead of to your steward, or with pen to paper on a grievance? Have you even expressed this to management? Tell them to force from the bottom. If they still make you work file.

Or.... you could always just work and make the easy Saturday money, your call.
also how can they make me miss out on a full days work on Monday at driver pay and be made to work saturday at air pay?
Are there people with less seniority than you working Monday?

Last edited:

542thruNthru

There are numerous under me that they are allowing not to work saturday, also how can they make me miss out on a full days work on Monday at driver pay and be made to work saturday at air pay?

Sounds like you are getting screwed. I have a couple questions.

1. On Monday will lower seniority cover drivers than you be working? Check the schedule and alert your management team and steward that you want to drive and have seniority. If they deny you than find out which lower seniority driver had the most hours and file for those hours work.

2. Have you talked to a shop steward about Saturdays? If no do so immediately. If they still force you to work file a grievance on not following seniority and also harassment.

It sounds like you are a hard worker or a push over and they are taking advantage of you. You need to put a stop to this right away. You also need to call your BA. Tell him wants going on. Don't wanna come across the wrong way but if you don't do any of what I said than don't bother coming back and complaining.

Good luck

mr2

not a shop steward but in our center as i understand it a cover driver has a primary job such as preload or reload. so if u report to your primary job 5 days a week they cant force u to do anything. if u agree to drive tuesday and friday because they need and asked u in senority order and report to your primary job in preload mon wed and thur they wont force u on Sat because its a 6th report. remember if u dont want to drive they will work guys with less senority on days u dont want to drive. you dont need to DQ from cover driving but you must report 5 days a week which they can make u work preload on Sat unless there is lower senority people.