PT Sup to FT Management? Pros/cons/wait time?

thaliloldsup

NE Division
I recently got "promoted" to PT Supervisor from a package handler. Initially, I applied here with the intentions of just working through the end of the school year, but I've been here 9 months now and a spot opened up for a PT Sup, so I took it (It's really not that bad.. yet). Yes, the work is mundane... frankly I'd say almost pointless, and I don't see a future with this specific job title. But, it's far easier physically, the pay is better, and I get benefits immediately now.

Now that I've decided between a union or non-union career path, I'm curious to hear how long it takes to go from PT Sup to a FT Management position?

I hear that some hubs might hire off the streets with a management degree/experience over a PT Sup, but in my hub specifically 90% of FT started as a Package Handler loading trailers as I (and a lot of us) did and went up the promotion ladder to get where they are today.

If anyone has some real numbers on how long it took them or their coworkers to get a promotion to FT Management, I'd like to hear. Would also be interested in what you/they think of the job. I'm pretty young (can't even be a driver yet) so if its going to take multiple years to land a position, I may as well just forget about FT and start college now.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
School is kind of a last resort. I'm currently in the midst of opening a used car lot, as well as spending my spare time day-trading & studying for my real estate license. I don't plan to make FT Management a long career, but just enough for me to be able to get my car lot operating 100% smoothly and buy my first house (triplex). I'm ultimately trying to become an entrepreneur; I just need some more funds first...

School is kind of a last resort. I'm currently in the midst of opening a used car lot, as well as spending my spare time day-trading & studying for my real estate license. I don't plan to make FT Management a long career, but just enough for me to be able to get my car lot operating 100% smoothly and buy my first house (triplex). I'm ultimately trying to become an entrepreneur; I just need some more funds first...
Being a Full-time supervisor isn't going to give you time to start a business.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
I already have the business license for it, as well as other reseller and sales tax licenses, as well as several cars. All I need now is insurance + a plot of land. My business is about 50% started already.

I really just need to know how long I'm looking at for a FT position... I have everything else in full swing already

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I recently got "promoted" to PT Supervisor from a package handler. Initially, I applied here with the intentions of just working through the end of the school year, but I've been here 9 months now and a spot opened up for a PT Sup, so I took it (It's really not that bad.. yet). Yes, the work is mundane... frankly I'd say almost pointless, and I don't see a future with this specific job title. But, it's far easier physically, the pay is better, and I get benefits immediately now.

Now that I've decided between a union or non-union career path, I'm curious to hear how long it takes to go from PT Sup to a FT Management position?

I hear that some hubs might hire off the streets with a management degree/experience over a PT Sup, but in my hub specifically 90% of FT started as a Package Handler loading trailers as I (and a lot of us) did and went up the promotion ladder to get where they are today.

If anyone has some real numbers on how long it took them or their coworkers to get a promotion to FT Management, I'd like to hear. Would also be interested in what you/they think of the job. I'm pretty young (can't even be a driver yet) so if its going to take multiple years to land a position, I may as well just forget about FT and start college now.
I already have the business license for it, as well as other reseller and sales tax licenses, as well as several cars. All I need now is insurance + a plot of land. My business is about 50% started already.

I really just need to know how long I'm looking at for a FT position... I have everything else in full swing already

UMMMM....

1) FT supervisor is a 12 hour a day job.
Then your basically on call for the other 12

2) Your path for a union job just ran into a washed out bridge..... .1% chance

3) Unless they like you AND KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO STICK AROUND, you won't get the FT supervising job anyways

Go Back To School or find another job, UPS isn't for you

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How in the hell are you going to swing your outside interests plus a 60-80 hour work week?

UPS deserves your full attention. You will not be able to “check in” on your car lot or apartments or whatever else you have your hand in during the day.

Over 70

Aspiring used car lot owner eh? Of course you went into management......

Jokes aside, I hope you return someday and tell us the story how you were a FT sup briefly before you told UPS to stick it up their ass and made millions.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

"Used car lot."

LMFAO

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a degree to be in FT management?
You generally have to have one or be working toward one.

You don't need one but you'll never leave Operations without it.
I've seen a lot of University of Phoenix, Southern New Hampshire U online degrees on the Management Movement lists.
The thought of being a FT driver sup for 25 years should make anyone vomit.