PT Sup to FT Management? Pros/cons/wait time?

ManInBrown

Aspiring used car lot owner eh? Of course you went into management......

OP will fit in perfect. The current FT management in my building is pure scum, as I’m sure is the case in a lot of buildings. Bunch of know nothing piss ant preload sups thrown into the job with zero knowledge other then driving for 30 days at peak once, trying to tell seasoned vets twice their age how to do the job. Pure comedy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I recently got "promoted" to PT Supervisor from a package handler. Initially, I applied here with the intentions of just working through the end of the school year, but I've been here 9 months now and a spot opened up for a PT Sup, so I took it (It's really not that bad.. yet). Yes, the work is mundane... frankly I'd say almost pointless, and I don't see a future with this specific job title. But, it's far easier physically, the pay is better, and I get benefits immediately now.

Now that I've decided between a union or non-union career path, I'm curious to hear how long it takes to go from PT Sup to a FT Management position?

I hear that some hubs might hire off the streets with a management degree/experience over a PT Sup, but in my hub specifically 90% of FT started as a Package Handler loading trailers as I (and a lot of us) did and went up the promotion ladder to get where they are today.

If anyone has some real numbers on how long it took them or their coworkers to get a promotion to FT Management, I'd like to hear. Would also be interested in what you/they think of the job. I'm pretty young (can't even be a driver yet) so if its going to take multiple years to land a position, I may as well just forget about FT and start college now.

How’s your “gag” reflex ?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
OP will fit in perfect. The current FT management in my building is pure scum, as I’m sure is the case in a lot of buildings. Bunch of know nothing piss ant preload sups thrown into the job with zero knowledge other then driving for 30 days at peak once, trying to tell seasoned vets twice their age how to do the job. Pure comedy.

He would only be allowed FT if he was onboard 100%.
His ambitions would keep him breaking jams and covering hot spots as a part timer.

It is not that easy to be FT management, jobs are fewer and they have to like you alot and you better like Kool-Aid.

ManInBrown

He would only be allowed FT if he was onboard 100%.
His ambitions would keep him breaking jams and covering hot spots as a part timer.

It is not that easy to be FT management, jobs are fewer and they have to like you alot and you better like Kool-Aid.
Happens here all the time. They churn them out. From clueless preload sup to OCS overnight. Our current On Cars were all preload sups promoted overnight.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Happens here all the time. They churn them out. From clueless preload sup to OCS overnight. Our current On Cars were all preload sups promoted overnight.
At least in feeder they try to promote from other positions from within feeder... no way in hell a feeder manager or DM would take a pt scrub from a load line or an oms from a center to come into the feeder Dept...they know better and the driver group would eat them alive..

barnyard

KTM rider
If the OP is looking to own a used car lot and be a slumlord, you can bet that the bosses know about it. I would bet that that knowledge will torpedo any chance at a FT management opportunity. UPS is not going to hire a FT management candidate that is not interested in UPS as a long term job.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it could be anywhere from 6 months to never depending on how useful you are and how many openings they have around you

i'd say 2 years is average for someone promising

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If the OP is looking to own a used car lot and be a slumlord, you can bet that the bosses know about it. I would bet that that knowledge will torpedo any chance at a FT management opportunity. UPS is not going to hire a FT management candidate that is not interested in UPS as a long term job.
completely incorrect, please don't give insight when you have none

W

What The Hawk?

I recently got "promoted" to PT Supervisor from a package handler. Initially, I applied here with the intentions of just working through the end of the school year, but I've been here 9 months now and a spot opened up for a PT Sup, so I took it (It's really not that bad.. yet). Yes, the work is mundane... frankly I'd say almost pointless, and I don't see a future with this specific job title. But, it's far easier physically, the pay is better, and I get benefits immediately now.

Now that I've decided between a union or non-union career path, I'm curious to hear how long it takes to go from PT Sup to a FT Management position?

I hear that some hubs might hire off the streets with a management degree/experience over a PT Sup, but in my hub specifically 90% of FT started as a Package Handler loading trailers as I (and a lot of us) did and went up the promotion ladder to get where they are today.

If anyone has some real numbers on how long it took them or their coworkers to get a promotion to FT Management, I'd like to hear. Would also be interested in what you/they think of the job. I'm pretty young (can't even be a driver yet) so if its going to take multiple years to land a position, I may as well just forget about FT and start college now.
Kind of a rabbit trail reply but I hope you have empathy for the preloaders when they ask for help because you were one once. It's hard to take a sup seriously and ask them for help when they've never done the job. Just remember you were a loader once.

Indecisi0n

Demoted.