Put some REAL Teeth in 9.5!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
At least in feeder we had DOT regs to protect us. 10 hours driving and limits on on duty time. In the winter management had to pick up drivers out of hours all the time.

They did everything possible to keep that from happening like if the driver only had 10 hours left in the week , management would keep them local rather than send them over the hill in a snowstorm.

Feeder drivers seem to be a stronger group than the package drivers at our hub. They didn't mess with us so much. We had ways to get back at them when they tried to screw with us. Like calling out sick and /or dragging it out when they pushed too much. There is more than one way to skin a cat if the contract won't help you.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Any driver on the 9.5 is to be out no later than 9.5 hours. (Until such time driver elects to no longer ne on 9.5)
If there are stops that do not get delivered, that is on Management for failing to have a 9.5 hour day on the truck.
If Management wants the remaining stops delivered, THEY will have to deliver them, (though grievances cannot be filed for Management working) not send another driver out, unless one who is not on 9.5 wants to deliver them.
Anyone else feel this is a good way to deal with the 9.5 issue?

What is your formula for determining a 9.5 day?

Yolo

Dont worry UPS is going to have 2nd teir and PVDs finishing your routes after you get your 8 hours.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
What is your formula for determining a 9.5 day?
Simple really. If a driver punches out before 9.5, then you have satisfied the request. If he punches out beyond 9.5 hours, then you have violated it. You see, all your technology and algorithms are just a guide. It’s not accurate when IE can blanketly manipulate time allowances. Work is calculated by weight x distance. It’s not stops or pieces. And there is no “maximum allowed distance restrictions”. There is no mathematical equations for time. But there is for work. The driver is guaranteed 8 but restricted to under 9.5. You have 1.5 hours of time to get that driver in and off the clock. Question, how long does a stop take?

Tony Q

Any driver on the 9.5 is to be out no later than 9.5 hours. (Until such time driver elects to no longer ne on 9.5)
If there are stops that do not get delivered, that is on Management for failing to have a 9.5 hour day on the truck.
If Management wants the remaining stops delivered, THEY will have to deliver them, (though grievances cannot be filed for Management working) not send another driver out, unless one who is not on 9.5 wants to deliver them.
Anyone else feel this is a good way to deal with the 9.5 issue?
It's almost as if we need divers that start at all different hours to elevate the over dispatching, 9:5, and 8 hour request issues.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
And that was my point. There was no way of truly answering because of so many variables. Management wants a magic button. Ain’t happening.

They think the issue can be solved with computer technology.

It could be used as a starting point.... but unless IE would get on-car (like they used to)

not only is it a disservice to the driver and the customers, how as a center management

team, can you be fair and objective when critiquing a drivers performance ? You can't.

-Bug-

Rack em

Made the Podium
Personally, I find the present language to have ample "teeth".....if you have the fortitude and the game to enact "the process"???
I've always thought the current language was pretty decent. I would really really really like to see automatic triple pay after 9.5 hours instead of having to grieve every time though.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep.

Just like it is now.

They don't know. It's all just guessing at this point.

-Bug-
Here's what I see.....they want to inch their way to the edge of the cliff, while I am tasked to hold them up by their belt.

....then when they fall off of the cliff, they want to blame me for "not communicating"?

My position is this, they dispatch, I execute.
The residuals are their's to deal with.

~Bbbl~™

542thruNthru

Here's what I see.....they want to inch their way to the edge of the cliff, while I am tasked to hold them up by their belt.

....then when they fall off of the cliff, they want to blame me for "not communicating"?

My position is this, they dispatch, I execute.
The residuals are their's to deal with.

~Bbbl~™

Honestly that is probably the best way I've ever heard to describe it. At least in my building. They push the limit every time and when it fails they freak out like I did it on purpose.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Honestly that is probably the best way I've ever heard to describe it. At least in my building. They push the limit every time and when it fails they freak out like I did it on purpose.
They want us to tell them whether THEY will violate....

I don't see it as my responsibility???

I argue with my center manager all the time, when he claims that "we violated 9.5"???

That's the mindset of management, we're guilty until proven innocent.