Putinism

wkmac

I was reading at the American Enterprise Institute website when I found an interesting article by Leon Aron entitled, "What Russia's War Reveals". Mr. Aron discusses many aspects of the current situation in Russia but his comments that really caught my attention had to do with what Aron called "Putinism" and in the 5 key ways this is manifested. For your reading pleasure here are the 5 keys to Putinism.

This outcome augurs very badly for Russia's behavior in the world as well. Plenty of authoritarian regimes have been relatively content to fulfill their domestic agendas, without indulging their foreign policy ambitions. Neither under czars nor under the Soviets could Russia be counted among such political systems. Russian authoritarianism historically seems to be wedded to warmongering, conquests, victories and defeats. Long before this war, Putinism had instilled the Russian policy, politics and public opinion with the key elements of what might be called a "restless" and imperial-minded authoritarianism:
  • The intensely personal system of power, in which the "national leader" rather than democratic institutions rule.
  • The state propaganda themes of loss and imperial nostalgia (Putin declared the demise of the Soviet Union "the greatest geopolitical catastrophe" of the 20th century).
  • The idea of the besieged fortress Russia surrounded by cunning, ruthless and plotting enemies on every side.
  • Spy mania.
  • The labeling of political opposition as the "fifth column" traitors.

https://web.archive.org/web/2009030...cations/pubID.28461,filter.all/pub_detail.asp

As I read the 5 keys this same ole authoritarianism that has come down through history seem to me to suggest these 5 steps.

1) In gov't with several institutions holding delegated powers, you manage to consolidate those powers under a single institution or in Putin's case, one lone man and of course Putin will have with him his long close associates who have helped him over the years.

2) Convincing the people of having suffered some loss or inflicted some wrong that could lead to loss of international standing. Also the dominate theme of threats or loss of national interests.

3) The collective belief that Russia is surrounded by enemies on many fronts who seek to harm them. Whether those threats are truly real or not, the people must believe the threat. Internal scapegoats are also very important.

4) We're talking about an ole KGB man so the need to monitor mail, email, phone and other means of communication is necessary. Also encouraging people to act as gov't spies on one another is of vital importance. Anyone not conforming to set societial policy standards are deemed some type of state enemy and therefore further isolated and marginalized. This gives conforming citizens easy targets and Putin can play the game for all it's worth.

5) There must always be an internal threat for the purpose of scapegoating. This allows those that loyally follow gov't authoritarianism to have a feeling of moral high ground and patriotic duty. Anyone who speaks out or even so much as utter a justified question of policy is labeled in the negative in order to maintain compliance and bolster the self importance of the loyal authoritarian followers. Of course, those who find themselves in political opposition or attached to a political party outside the controlling leadership are easy targets to the "fifth column traitors" ideal. This also gives a target for the mindless many who blindly follow Putinism and by being able to call such persons disloyal or traitors give them a sense of greater power and a part of a greater cause than themselves.

Aron IMO did a very good job in laying out the dangers of this man Putin and his mechanism for seizing power and creating a re-constituted Russian Authoritarian state built on the premise of continuing war and imperial drive. It's not often I agree with something I find at the Neo-Conservative AEI but clearly Aron has laid out a picture of what a political maniac would look like and Putin fits the bill perfectly.

JMO

moreluck

golden ticket member
(thanks, Eric)
Vladimir Putin's
SPEECH SHORTEST SPEECH EVER....

Putin's Speech on August 04,

This is one time our elected leaders should pay attention to
the advice of Vladimir Putin....

How scary is that?

On August 04, 2013,
Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, addressed the Duma,

(Russian the Russian laws.

If
they prefer Sharia Law, and live the life of Muslim's then we advise them to go
to those

places where that's the state law.

Russia does not need Muslim minorities. Minorities need Russia , and
we will not grant them

special privileges, or try to change our laws to fit their
desires, no matter how loud they

yell 'discrimination'.

We
will not tolerate disrespect of our Russian culture

We
better learn from the suicides of America , England , Holland and France , if we
are to survive as a nation.

The muslims are taking over those countries and they will not
take over Russia .

The Russian customs and traditions are not compatible with the
lack of culture or the primitive ways

Sharia Law and Muslims.

When this honorable legislative body thinks of creating new
laws, it should have in mind the

Russian national interest first, observing that the Muslims
Minorities Are Not
Russians.

The politicians in the Duma gave Putin a five minute standing
ovation.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Bless your heart, moreluck. You never disappoint.

Putin's 'speech' never happened. Total fiction, like most everything you post.

Bravo! Well done.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was just posting what a friend sent......(thus the "thanks Eric") Quit blessing my heart !!!

"While it seems quite unlikely that an accomplished leader like Putin would have worded a speech about minority groups in such an inflammatory and derogatory way, the President has actually made comments that echo somewhat, albeit in a much more reasonable tone, the sentiments expressed in the above speech. At a January 2012 meeting of the Board of the Federal Migration Service, Putin noted in a speech:

Vladimir Putin's Supposed Speech to the Duma on Minorities and Sharia Law

moreluck

golden ticket member
153452_600.jpg