PVD’s...are we done?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Do you enjoy a nice big sausage at breakfast? Maybe a fat tube steak at dinner?? Know your role you rotten troll bastard

Indecisi0n

I really don’t see the big deal with pvds. The process of getting them in and out of the building, cleaning up their messes, taking the irregs and criticals, definitely annoying. But I cover primarily rural areas and I personally find it really nice to not have to go through the most sketchy driveways on the route. Anybody who does stuff out in the woods knows exactly what I’m talking about; the ones you have to walk in the dark. The ones your butthole clenches during the stop when you decide to make the jaunt knowing damn well you might have to back right back out. In a 4 wheel drive suburban those stops are a piece of cake. For us even in a p5 it’s high risk and unnerving, yet you feel a responsibility to try and get the stop done properly with good service
I get the whole “don’t give up union work” thing but I don’t see why we can’t have pvds who work part time year round and full time during peak. Give them more training, give them an actual DIAD, let them process and load their own stuff after the main sort off in one corner of the building. Let them run a missload or two every once in a while when they are really light.
Clenching makes it that much better.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Right so it’s about personal greed and not about what is most efficient or cost effective for the company...btw pretty much every driver I helped was still maxing their hours out every week

Lol. Personal greed?
Sweetheart, I come to work to make money. You can call it greed, if you want, but this ain't what most of us do for fun.
You cut into my overtime, and you cut into my livelihood.

If you want what is most efficient or cost effective for UPS, go into the center after peak, and see if they'll let you keep working as a volunteer.
Free is most cost effective for corporate. That's what you want, right?

Queso

Lol. Personal greed?
Sweetheart, I come to work to make money. You can call it greed, if you want, but this ain't what most of us do for fun.
You cut into my overtime, and you cut into my livelihood.

If you want what is most efficient or cost effective for UPS, go into the center after peak, and see if they'll let you keep working as a volunteer.
Free is most cost effective for corporate. That's what you want, right?

It’s a pretty dumb analogy because nobody is going to volunteer to work for ups. In my center I cut into 0 drivers overtime they all ran out of hours on Saturday...also the reason ups earnings is blowing huge chodes this quarter is because all their drivers are maxing out overtime. Also it’s more cost effective to hire us and let us use our own vehicles then leasing a Gas guzzler and then hiring a seasonal driver who isn’t really accustomed to driving a package car

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It’s a pretty dumb analogy because nobody is going to volunteer to work for ups. In my center I cut into 0 drivers overtime they all ran out of hours on Saturday...also the reason ups earnings is blowing huge chodes this quarter is because all their drivers are maxing out overtime. Also it’s more cost effective to hire us and let us use our own vehicles then leasing a Gas guzzler and then hiring a seasonal driver who isn’t really accustomed to driving a package car

I could try to convince you.
If it wasn't stealing from drivers, then it was from driver helpers. And those waiting to be seasonal drivers.
I could explain to you one more time that UPS purposefully understaffs their centers so that they can take advantage of cheap labor like you during peak, rather than staffing at properly.
I could explain to you that PVDs destroy the idea of seniority, and working your way up to package delivery.
But life's too short to waste on idiots.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, enjoy the unemployment line.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If it wasn't stealing from drivers, then it was from driver helpers. And those waiting to be seasonal drivers.
I could explain to you one more time that UPS purposefully understaffs their centers so that they can take advantage of cheap labor like you during peak, rather than staffing at properly.
I could explain to you that PVDs destroy the idea of seniority, and working your way up to package delivery.

PVD's are seasonal drivers who drive their personal cars. Just FYI.

Queso

I’m not unemployed lol I have other work lined up, and I’m stealing work from season drivers as a pvd? How the :censored2: does that make any sense. What’s the difference between me and a seasonal driver, or seasonal driver helper? Seems like there’s just a whole lot of saltiness towards people getting to use their own cars. Seniority I guess but we’re only drivers for about a month and a half out of the year basically so how is that :censored2:ing up seniority

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

have they asked you to be a part time supervisor yet?

you sound like the perfect candidate

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
PVD's are seasonal drivers who drive their personal cars. Just FYI.
Gee, thanks. Didn't know that.

Would have much less problem with PVDs if bid sheets were put up for them. If it was kept as a hire from within first, setup.
They do not do that.
It's loophole for getting around the outside hire policy.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
What’s the difference between me and a seasonal driver, or seasonal driver helper?
I am a driver helper. Let's pretend you are an off the street helper, instead of PVD.
So the difference between your scenarios would be that if we were both looking to help on a given day, my years I have been a loyal employee to UPS would mean that I get first shot at the work.
Seniority.

Instead, since you get brought in as a PVD, they get to leapfrog over me, and let you take that extra work.
Ya get why I don't like that?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Gee, thanks. Didn't know that.

Would have much less problem with PVDs if bid sheets were put up for them. If it was kept as a hire from within first, setup.
They do not do that.
It's loophole for getting around the outside hire policy.

All seasonal positions are outside hires. They are not permanent, and the UPS has negotiated the right to hire seasonal employees for seasonal periods. Why would an inside employee bid on a job that goes away after a few months? Should they be able to bump back into their old position after the season ends? Or should they just be laid off until the next seasonal period?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I am a driver helper. Let's pretend you are an off the street helper, instead of PVD.
So the difference between your scenarios would be that if we were both looking to help on a given day, my years I have been a loyal employee to UPS would mean that I get first shot at the work.
Seniority.

Instead, since you get brought in as a PVD, they get to leapfrog over me, and let you take that extra work.
Ya get why I don't like that?

There is no permanent position known as a driver helper. Driver helper is a seasonal position, and counts as extra work for inside part timers. Seasonal employees fill those positions first, then any extra positions are offered to inside employees on a seniority basis.

If you don't like the way it is set up you need to discuss it with your BA for the next contract. There's no point getting angry at people taking jobs offered to them as allowed by the contract.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
There is no permanent position known as a driver helper. Driver helper is a seasonal position, and counts as extra work for inside part timers. Seasonal employees fill those positions first, then any extra positions are offered to inside employees on a seniority basis.

If you don't like the way it is set up you need to discuss it with your BA for the next contract. There's no point getting angry at people taking jobs offered to them as allowed by the contract.

This is absolutely not true, and I would like you to share the article you are citing.
Driver helping does count as extra work, and as such belongs to the inside employees first.
Seasonals get what the inside employees cannot handle.