PVD’s...are we done?

Mainerider

First post here... I’m a first year PVD and I understand the bashing we get from some of the UPS regulars but we are not all incompetent and/or stealing work from the full-timers.

In my case, since I have a 2 car garage and live right in my route area my runs are delivered to me and Ive averaged 100 stops per day. I have a mid-size SUV and I get the job done efficiently and with no drama and as someone mentioned earlier, with 4WD I can get to where the Brownies can’t.

I’ve worked with 4 different drivers so far and everyone says they are glad I’m here because they’re balls to the wall already and happy to dump the stops off on me.

Lastly, I see a lot of scab talk from some here (not all but some) and it’s really not warranted. And I know, because I spent 20 years in the Newspaper Guild (part of the CWA). And our Pressmen were Teamsters. I was also the Treasurer for 4 years and sat on the negotiating committee on several contract rounds. As far as I’m concerned, any brother or sister who pays their union initiation fees and regular dues is a union brother or sister, whether he or she is FT, PT or Seasonal. With union rolls being constantly shrunk, any increase in membership and/or union dues collection is a good thing.

Great site here and Happy New Years to all...

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
First post here... I’m a first year PVD and I understand the bashing we get from some of the UPS regulars but we are not all incompetent and/or stealing work from the full-timers.

In my case, since I have a 2 car garage and live right in my route area my runs are delivered to me and Ive averaged 100 stops per day. I have a mid-size SUV and I get the job done efficiently and with no drama and as someone mentioned earlier, with 4WD I can get to where the Brownies can’t.

I’ve worked with 4 different drivers so far and everyone says they are glad I’m here because they’re balls to the wall already and happy to dump the stops off on me.

Lastly, I see a lot of scab talk from some here (not all but some) and it’s really not warranted. And I know, because I spent 20 years in the Newspaper Guild (part of the CWA). And our Pressmen were Teamsters. I was also the Treasurer for 4 years and sat on the negotiating committee on several contract rounds. As far as I’m concerned, any brother or sister who pays their union initiation fees and regular dues is a union brother or sister, whether he or she is FT, PT or Seasonal. With union rolls being constantly shrunk, any increase in membership and/or union dues collection is a good thing.

Great site here and Happy New Years to all...

When it comes down to it, you ARE stealing work from union employees.
And not just full timers.

Last year, we only had a handful of PVDs, and driver helpers were able to rack up massive amounts of hours.
This year? We tripled our PVDs, and those of us counting on the ability to get more hours got the shaft.

If they hadn't used y'all, they would have had to increase the number of seasonal drivers that they allowed, and utilized more driver helpers. They would have had to, to stay clean.
So yeah. You did steal work.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
If PVDs are forced to pay the union, then they're teamsters... your union should've said no to using "Amazon Flex" style operations & kept those deliveries in house

Mainerider

i can only relay my experience and, as I said, all 4 drivers were more than happy to have the help. As a matter of fact, 3 of the 4 were pissed that they were working so much overtime as it was and wanted a break...

It’s not stealing work if the regulars are already at 60+ hours and just want to be home with their families, especially during Christmas season...

Mainerider

PS
Regarding adding more driver helpers, only 1 of my guys had a helper and that was only because the helper was a friend of his that he arm-twisted into giving him a hand. They all said the same thing: Good luck finding bodies, with the labor market so tight...

PT Car Washer

i can only relay my experience and, as I said, all 4 drivers were more than happy to have the help. As a matter of fact, 3 of the 4 were pissed that they were working so much overtime as it was and wanted a break...

It’s not stealing work if the regulars are already at 60+ hours and just want to be home with their families, especially during Christmas season...
We had drivers forced to work Saturdays because they had hours available while PVD drivers had the weekend off. Other drivers volunteered to work New Years Eve because they lost so much income during Peak.

Queso

Well, go ahead and waste your time.
When it comes down to it, you ARE stealing work from union employees.
And not just full timers.

Last year, we only had a handful of PVDs, and driver helpers were able to rack up massive amounts of hours.
This year? We tripled our PVDs, and those of us counting on the ability to get more hours got the shaft.

If they hadn't used y'all, they would have had to increase the number of seasonal drivers that they allowed, and utilized more driver helpers. They would have had to, to stay clean.
So yeah. You did steal work.

It’s not stealing work bro. What’s the difference between a season pvd and other seasonal helpers as far as you guys are concerned? It really sounds like you guys would rather have ups hire not a single person and instead have everyone work 120 hours per week and sleep in the package cars

Mainerider

As I said, I can only relay my own experience. At the end of the day, the drivers were happy for the help, the union has a new member, I added almost $400 to the Teamsters dues collection, and I used no union benefits.

I know some aren’t happy with the arrangement that your union agreed to but the world is changing and your leadership cut the best deal they could. I know, I’ve been there in the room before...

Coming from a newspaper background, no one knows better than we do how tech has disrupted the old order of things. At one time, our local was so strong that our contract was used more than once as a model for the negotiations at other locals across the country. But with the huge reduction in head count that Tech brought about, the Guild has been gutted of much of it’s negotiating power.

So I say, anytime you can increase the union rolls AND increase the dues collection it’s a good thing. Perfect? No but there is strength in increased membership and the corresponding revenues that help unions to fight the good fight...

PT Car Washer

As I said, I can only relay my own experience. At the end of the day, the drivers were happy for the help, the union has a new member, I added almost $400 to the Teamsters dues collection, and I used no union benefits.

I know some aren’t happy with the arrangement that your union agreed to but the world is changing and your leadership cut the best deal they could. I know, I’ve been there in the room before...

Coming from a newspaper background, no one knows better than we do how tech has disrupted the old order of things. At one time, our local was so strong that our contract was used more than once as a model for the negotiations at other locals across the country. But with the huge reduction in head count that Tech brought about, the Guild has been gutted of much of it’s negotiating power.

So I say, anytime you can increase the union rolls AND increase the dues collection it’s a good thing. Perfect? No but there is strength in increased membership and the corresponding revenues that help unions to fight the good fight...
Why would a temp seasonal pay $400 to the Union? Hope you get it back.

Mainerider

There is a one time $300 Union initiation fee that is taken out $50 weekly until paid in full. Plus my regular dues after that is paid.

Honestly, I’m happy to pay it; I’ve always been a strong union man and I’m proud to be in the Teamsters...