PVD Opportunities

Long story short, I worked as a PVD this holiday season, and a supervisor kept saying he wanted me as a driver. He was actually able to get me in for a road test last week, that I was only deducted for one thing. HR said oh yeah we don’t know how many people we need, we’ll email you with some papers to sign. So, yeah my hopes were a little too high, thinking I was in there. But, they emailed me, a week later than they said they would, saying I didn’t get it, and that I can apply to be a pt package handler, like everyone else. ‍♀️ I’m sure none of you are surprised and will insist that I work my way up like everyone else, but I have to admit, it’s a little frustrating.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Long story short, I worked as a PVD this holiday season, and a supervisor kept saying he wanted me as a driver. He was actually able to get me in for a road test last week, that I was only deducted for one thing. HR said oh yeah we don’t know how many people we need, we’ll email you with some papers to sign. So, yeah my hopes were a little too high, thinking I was in there. But, they emailed me, a week later than they said they would, saying I didn’t get it, and that I can apply to be a pt package handler, like everyone else. ‍♀️ I’m sure none of you are surprised and will insist that I work my way up like everyone else, but I have to admit, it’s a little frustrating.

E98DEDA3-0A60-4EEC-9854-0A9CD5FD23DB.gif

I guess the only question I have is: is it easier to become a ft driver if you’re a pt package handler first, or is that just bs and I would have the same chance just applying to a driver position with a positive rehire status, which they say I have.

542thruNthru

This time of year they don't need drivers but they always need PT loaders. They always dangle the FT job in everyone's face and then "oh sorry you didn't win but we have a consolation price for you."

It's how they fill their PT ranks after peak. A promise that you'll move up fast because they know you're a good worker, blah blah blah.

You might not want to work at UPS. Your skin might be too thin. This place will treat you like :censored2: right to your face and laugh about it. It's not your normal work environment

I might have to just suck it up. I’m 23 with no other prospects or valuable skills, and if I can get to top driver pay, do my work and do it right, be semi-autonomous and keep management off my back; there’s worse ways to make a living.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I might have to just suck it up. I’m 23 with no other prospects or valuable skills, and if I can get to top driver pay, do my work and do it right, be semi-autonomous and keep management off my back; there’s worse ways to make a living.

"semi-autonomous"

Now that's funny.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You might not want to work at UPS. Your skin might be too thin. This place will treat you like :censored2: right to your face and laugh about it. It's not your normal work environment
You are so correct. I have seen UPS destroy too many people over the years, including people on their own management teams. It's a real dog eat dog work culture.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Martin, it's different at each location... So at least they updated you in sorta a timely manner.

If u need the bennies and tuition reimbursement, go for it.

Otherwise, Amazon and FedEx ground warehouse workers are all similar to UPS.

At least for Amazon, there's less amount of irregs and oversized parcels

542thruNthru

Martin, it's different at each location... So at least they updated you in sorta a timely manner.

Not everywhere has tuition reimbursement.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Not everywhere has tuition reimbursement.

You dare argue with @OrioN?

He has learned every nuance of UPS just by reading posts.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The only way to keep management off your back is to die. I'm serious. As long as you are working there , you will always have a target on your backside. I was like you once, but I found a way to stay off their radar, for a little while. When the Air Driver position first started, nobody in my building wanted it. I had all the work to myself, which made me valuable since at the time there were 5 centers in my building. I got a ton of hours in.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Take the inside job, and every time a bid sheet goes up , sign it even if you know that you don't have a chance of getting it.