PVDs and the contract

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you look at the 804's website, they report a victory the likes of the 1969 NY Mets beating Baltimore!

What did they win?

To me, a pvd is no different than any other temp. Limit their use to Thanksgiving through Xmas of the same year. Allow union drivers the right to the overtime if they want it.

Me, two hours OT is more than enough at peak.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If you look at the 804's website, they report a victory the likes of the 1969 NY Mets beating Baltimore!

What did they win?

To me, a pvd is no different than any other temp. Limit their use to Thanksgiving through Xmas of the same year. Allow union drivers the right to the overtime if they want it.

Me, two hours OT is more than enough at peak.
Pvds are a big issue. Senior drivers are having their routes taken away and given to the pvds. The company always abuses seasonal workers, but they are going above and beyond with pvds. I will be so happy when they are gone for good. In our center they are giving pvds the best and easiest areas to deliver while making seniority drivers do bulk and high stop routes. It's bull:censored2: and it needs to stop.

Wally

Pvds are a big issue. Senior drivers are having their routes taken away and given to the pvds. The company always abuses seasonal workers, but they are going above and beyond with pvds. I will be so happy when they are gone for good. In our center they are giving pvds the best and easiest areas to deliver while making seniority drivers do bulk and high stop routes. It's bull:censored2: and it needs to stop.
Not like that here. They only do retail. Anyway, how's a pvd to do a bulk route in a honda?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Not like that here. They only do retail. Anyway, how's a pvd to do a bulk route in a honda?
Our centers are different. My center has a lot of rural routes which they pick apart and give to the pvds. The company can hire seasonal package car drivers to do bulk, they don't need subcontracting scabs in their own vehicles. If we had contract language that limited what the company could do with pvds it would be different, but they abuse the hell out of them and screw senior drivers over and that isn't right.

Wally

Our centers are different. My center has a lot of rural routes which they pick apart and give to the pvds. The company can hire seasonal package car drivers to do bulk, they don't need subcontracting scabs in their own vehicles. If we had contract language that limited what the company could do with pvds it would be different, but they abuse the hell out of them and screw senior drivers over and that isn't right.
A easy day for the senior drivers.

PT air drivers used to make bank during Peak. Now non Union PVD's are taking all of the extra work.

Commercial Inside Release

Did they sign up to be a seasonal drivers for Peak?

He has a raging boner for tricking people into starting progression over, like they're going to live forever, or entering into seasonal work that will simplify them getting rid of you.
That way they can hire some minimum wage PTer that doesn't even, and likely never will, pay dues.

They want your dues, but not if it gets in the way of their twisted ideas. It's like they hate the $1000 every year, unless it is from a full-timer.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
And according to many, it's "FantasyLand" to think there could ever be a strike.

But I wouldn't bet the farm on it not happening either.

The world is a strange place. Many times in history when us humans say"that could never happen", that exact thing happens.
Never say never

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He has a raging boner for tricking people into starting progression over, like they're going to live forever, or entering into seasonal work that will simplify them getting rid of you.
That way they can hire some minimum wage PTer that doesn't even, and likely never will, pay dues.

They want your dues, but not if it gets in the way of their twisted ideas. It's like they hate the $1000 every year, unless it is from a full-timer.
No we are talking about part time air drivers doing temporary seasonal ground delivery work,....has nothing to do with any progression?

Everyone pays dues in my local btw, including seasonal employees and PVD's.

No Right To Work here.
PT air drivers used to make bank during Peak. Now non Union PVD's are taking all of the extra work.
Did they sign up to be seasonal drivers for Peak?
Then it would be a cut in pay.
....and there is your explanation.

Why wouldn't the Company hire a $21/hr seasonal driver (or PVD), rather than pay an air driver top scale to do any extra work?

Last edited:
No we are talking about part time air drivers doing temporary seasonal ground delivery work,....has nothing to do with any progression?

Everyone pays dues in my local btw, including seasonal employees and PVD's.

No Right To Work here.

....and there is your explanation.

Why wouldn't the Company hire a $21/hr seasonal driver (or PVD), rather than pay an air driver top scale to do any extra work?
Then you should have no objection for the company using dues paying PVD's and sending $40/hr package car drivers home. Seems like you are more of a company man then a Union man.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Then you should have no objection for the company using dues paying PVD's and sending $40/hr package car drivers home. Seems like you are more of a company man then a Union man.
I surely would object, dont be silly....

Seniority full-time drivers are guaranteed 8 hours a day for 5 consecutive days, 40 hours a week, before any seasonal drivers can be put to work.

That being said, if the Company had enough seasonal employees (and the infrastructure) they could trim every full-time driver down to 40 hours a week from November 1st through January 15th in my region.

I really thought that was what the Company was going to do year round with the advent of the 22.4 "hybrid driver".

....but COVID-19 hit and volume went through the roof instead.

It's all in the contract and I certainly didn't write it.

I surely would object, dont be silly....

Seniority full-time drivers are guaranteed 8 hours a day for 5 consecutive days, 40 hours a week, before any seasonal drivers can be put to work.

That being said, if the Company had enough seasonal employees (and the infrastructure) they could trim every full-time driver down to 40 hours a week from November 1st through January 15th in my region.

I really thought that was what the Company was going to do year round with the advent of the 22.4 "hybrid driver".

....but COVID-19 hit and volume went through the roof instead.

It's all in the contract and I certainly didn't write it.
Nice save.

35years

Gravy route
We have more PVDs delivering this year than seniority drivers. Hundreds of PVDs delivering the best areas and stops. They start hours before regular drivers.

We get to do all thier irregs, and heavy boxes.They get the gravy.

If they are just seasonal drivers they should be subject to seniority rules for start time, work areas, extra work, forced Saturdays etc. etc.

Can't stand how it is now.

We have more PVDs delivering this year than seniority drivers. Hundreds of PVDs delivering the best areas and stops. They start hours before regular drivers.

If they are just seasonal drivers they should be subject to seniority rules for start time, work areas, extra work, forced Saturdays etc. etc.

Our PVD's have their packages shuttled out to them well after the regular drivers have left by either 22.3 or PT air drivers. Can be 10 AM or later before the shuttle driver shows up and then they help unload and sort. Air drivers take the over weights and oversize to deliver. Makes a great 12 hour day driving around the area dropping off. No complaints. I don't agree with using PVD's but right now seems like a necessary evil so take advantage of the situation.

542thruNthru

How do PVDs start before you guys? Also how does your local allow more FT seasonals than actual FT members?