Qualifying driver screw up.

Bob Saget

Hi all, I’m on my 12th day of qualification. Yesterday I got some bad news. I left a next day air in my truck from one of my pickups. Sup and Union rep took me aside, just told me not to do it again. Then today, I was informed that I left another next day air in my truck. I was seasonal for two months and never left ANY air in my truck. Now, these two days in a row I’ve left air. I know how to fix it (keep count of total air, group all air together etc.) I’m concerned about how boned my qualification is going to be. Two air packages in two days. I know that doesn’t look good- AT ALL. I dont want to go to work tomorrow and be told my SOL. What are your thoughts? How common is this? What should I expect?
It’s a bit ironic, the air driver even asked “You don’t have any next days hanging back there do you?” When I was unloading.
Thanks!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
It's on you. You knew better and did it anyway. The company can cut you loose for no reason during probation. You just gave them 2 reasons. I would imagine the only way you still work here is if they are desperate for drivers. Maybe find a job with no service commitments.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hi all, I’m on my 12th day of qualification. Yesterday I got some bad news. I left a next day air in my truck from one of my pickups. Sup and Union rep took me aside, just told me not to do it again. Then today, I was informed that I left another next day air in my truck. I was seasonal for two months and never left ANY air in my truck. Now, these two days in a row I’ve left air. I know how to fix it (keep count of total air, group all air together etc.) I’m concerned about how boned my qualification is going to be. Two air packages in two days. I know that doesn’t look good- AT ALL. I dont want to go to work tomorrow and be told my SOL. What are your thoughts? How common is this? What should I expect?
It’s a bit ironic, the air driver even asked “You don’t have any next days hanging back there do you?” When I was unloading.
Thanks!
Well, if they don't get rid of you, you're lucky. Stop leaving airs in the load. When you pick them up either put them in totes, bags, or on the 1000 shelf or under it on floor. You need to pay better attention and check the truck three times.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You'll have to show up with hat in hand and look the boss straight in the eye and say " I screwed up."

and make sure it doesn't happen again. screwups will make you a better driver in the long run.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I grab a big brown tote every morning that I am on a route with pickups. In the afternoon you should have enough room to stash that tote in the RDR or RDL When pickups come along, throw all your air into that tote. If it’s too big, put it next to the tote. Put the ground pickups on the shelves.

At my building we back up to the air docks and drop it all off. Everything is right there ready to be loaded up. Easy peasy.

barnyard

KTM rider
I pick up 1-4 NDA a day. I have a tote in section 2. We have an air dock, but it is easier to walk it in from the front door. The only time I have not used section 2 for air and internationals is when I was on an air heavy route. Then I did the same as Brown Biscuit.

Bob Saget

Well, if they don't get rid of you, you're lucky. Stop leaving airs in the load. When you pick them up either put them in totes, bags, or on the 1000 shelf or under it on floor. You need to pay better attention and check the truck three times.
That’s my apart of my problem, I’m putting them on the shelf. I don’t know why I didn’t think about just putting them on the floor instead of the shelf

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That’s my apart of my problem, I’m putting them on the shelf. I don’t know why I didn’t think about just putting them on the floor instead of the shelf
It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you separate them from the rest of the load and that way works 4 u.

JustDeliverIt

Don't just put them on the floor, grab a tote every morning for the envelopes/smalls. Keep that little stuff from sliding around and hiding where it shouldn't be. It never fails to happen

Bob Saget

Don't just put them on the floor, grab a tote every morning for the envelopes/smalls. Keep that little stuff from sliding around and hiding where it shouldn't be. It never fails to happen

I already carry separate totes for small ground and air, I just can’t believe I forgot air. I’m just hoping I don’t get disqualified. All I can do at this point is own up to the mistake and not let it happen again

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Dude if you have forgeticus issues just start writing yourself notes on infos and stick them to the dash. I did this every single day in my packet; sounds like you are learning a business route which means there is a ton of tiny crap to remember all at once. This place closes at 230, that place doesn’t open until 10 am but it’s at the beginning of route, have to get to WalMart receiving by 11 or the docks are stuffed......yada yada yada.
Write it down. Look at the notes you write for yourself. Repeat.

Whither

Scofflaw
Don't pick up any airs

"Sorry I'm UPS Ground, the Express guy will have pick that up."

To the OP: we all make mistakes. Sucks that these happened during your 30, but hopefully they'll overlook it. Gotta gotta gotta make your truck organization and return to building procedures clockwork. Designated areas for send-agains, group 2s, high values, checks/money orders for CODs, air. Also, try and set a mental reminder as you're nearing the end of the route, just like you do for other commits "Do I have to swing by the air dock?" I catch myself saying it out loud, "Air dock, 4 group-2s, 2 CODs."

Johney

The real question is, were those airs you forgot still able to make service? If so and you are doing an outstanding job everywhere else you maybe ok, but if you're running 3 hours o/a and they missed service? D/Q......on day 29.

Bob Saget

The real question is, were those airs you forgot still able to make service? If so and you are doing an outstanding job everywhere else you maybe ok, but if you're running 3 hours o/a and they missed service? D/Q......on day 29.
I’m in day 12, I was over 3 hours at first then cut it down to 2, now I’m 1 hour over. I could’ve scratched yesterday but I didn’t call my supervisor to see if I could get my last pickup off of me since I can’t pick it up till 6. I was done at 5. I sat there for an hour off the clock.