Qualifying to drive

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Scratch is whatever the management team wants it to be. They can pencil-whip most anything to their advantage. Back in the late 70's and mid 80's when I was in package, I ran under almost every day, and the longer I stayed on the route, the more efficient I got at it. Knew who would be home, who wouldn't. Who would accept packages for what neighbors (no driver release then). I got attaboys from my center manager most days. One day a guy showed up with a funny clipboard with a stop watch built into it. Industrial engineering. I told the guy to stay out of my way and not to touch a package. He was standing on the bottom step of my package car fiddling with his stop watch, and I ran him over. I had about 100 lbs on him. He picked himself up off the ground and immediately apologized to me. I ended up losing 1.5 hours on that time study which was unheard of. I called BS and they redid it with another guy. Got most of it back, but it just goes to show they can fudge numbers with the best of them. BTW that IE guy got fired not long after that. I don't regret mowing him over, except for the fact that I ripped the ass out of my pants from the bottom of my zipper to my belt loop when I went down. haha

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yo maan its too sunny here in CALILAND lol.
Did you bake the special brownies with the vaporizer? lol
pot-brownies.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard of running scratch before i just didn't pay much attention. Had plenty to do in december the last two years. What of this filing a grievance if I somehow didnt qualify aka run "scratch?" I mean if the sups can play with numbers to make me look retarded how does a grievence help? I've had plenty of run ins with the sups but never filed the big G..

Sent using BrownCafe App

HomeDelivery

search for jerseycity's experience (i forgot his full ID name)

he wasn't given a fair shake to qualify due to various reasons (peak season weather & add/cuts, not training/qualifying on the same area during that time period, etc) ~ local management didn't like him so they set him up to fail is my guess

& when he went to grieve it, they gave him another 30 days to re-qualify...

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Because scratch, like Santa Claus, Bigfoot, Godzilla, aren't real. Its a made up number with no physical proof of it being a true realistic number. Its a made up number that they stupposedly use a virtual time study to decide how many stops are supposed to be on there. That number is not made to help a driver its made up to work against the driver, so the driver will work faster. You know what happens when you chase an imaginary number? You get hurt and crash, and that's the last thing you want to do when your trying to qualify. They don't give you any allowance for all the things a driver has to do during the day such as having to look for a box in the stevie wonder load they send drivers out with everyday, traffic, over 100 lb boxes, taking a piss or dump, sorting residentials etc. If you have a god shop steward whos not a little :censored2:, they will stand up for you during your grievance procedure if they try n disqualify before your 30 or 4 days.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If they try n disqualify and your not slow like a turtle then file a grievance, fight, fight ,fight brother and take no for an answer

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I've been a part timer on the local sort for 8 years. My chance to go full time is finally here. I've drove seasonal in the winter the past 2 years and I like driving. It's a challenge and almost impossible sometimes but worth it. My average day during peak was 160 to 170 stops..about 300-350 packages. I had a helper and got back to the center anywhere from 6 to 7pm. It was tough but I enjoyed driving a whole lot more then sort. So with that said..

What is running scratch all about? I've heard drivers talking about it and I know I need 5 days of scratch in a row. I know I can do the job but this scratch talk has me kind of flustered right now. I'll be qualifying in an area I really don't know to well..any tips?

Remember: even if you were setting world record out there sling packages, they will tell you improvement is needed. Don't let it get in your head, keep a pace and dont run into anything.

zlsarge7

I was recently signed up to be a seasonal coverage driver but now it is becoming a full time position. They just told me I will be going to regional training because integrad is full. Does that mean I will still have to go to integrad even if I qualify.