Question about $15 Minumum wage in 2018

rudy5150

The pt preload shift is a nightmare because they aren't given enough time to get the job done. Its a cluster friend#$k shift. Wouldn't do that job for atleast 20 an hour!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
As a 40 year PT so have I

You're one of the few.

Hell, half the FT don't even vote and it is their career.

FT trumps PT every time

Not always.

Central Region

Article 3

Total company seniority will be used when staffing reductions are
necessary within a work area that consists of full-time and part-time
employees.

So much for voting if you are PT

Why? A FT vote does not trump a PT vote. They are equal. Problem is that PTers, or most PTers, do not make their voice heard and do not vote.

Just wait until the FT need our vote to save their pension

We will never need your vote. You do not vote, as a whole. And we will never vote to eliminate our own pensions.

UPS can buy my vote for $500

I figured you would at least need $1000 to sell your soul. I mean you are a top rate PTer, at what, $34/hr, thanks to the FTers voting on the 1982 contract to keep you grandfathered. The PTers certainly didn't do this for you.

Yes, the FTers sold out the unborn, but at least they saved your butt.

llamainmypocket

I'm in NY and been a part time preloader for 3 years and will be making 13.00 in December, when Minumum wage goes up to 15$ in 2018 ill be at 13.50.

What happens? do i go up to $15 or do i get 18.50 for my 4 year progression?

Here's View attachment 145576 my contract

Pay won't exceed minimum wage until you've gained the necessary seniority. New people will continue to be at minimum year over year.

I'm in a similar situation just being a couple dollars over min wage.

I have turned down double shifting on preload for $52/hr.

None of our normal cover drivers came into preload today haha. I don't blame you guys it is slave labor at best. They'd rather us toss bags of smalls down the trailer and get leakers and brokens from tearing walls down onto rollers than spend the extra 10 minutes and a load stand in a trailer. I once asked how safe this was, and everyone did it the normal way for a few days and went back to normal Monday. The word safety scares the piss out of them.

extranatty

I'm expecting the next contract to increase your pay to $18/hr and $15/hr starting.

Preload is understaffed. Nobody wants to work this job unless they're insane or have a family plus dropped out of high school. The job market is improving. Everybody's quitting for better jobs. Hence the $150/wk bonus offered in Louisville for just showing up. If UPS doesn't submit in the next contract; they'll be destroying themselves. They aren't anywhere close to automating.

I remember how last year they were sending people home constantly. I'd work 3 days of the week. Haven't been sent home in 8 months now. They're bringing back everyone they let go last peak. Hiring foreign old ladies who can't do the work or understand what you're saying. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Actually you make far more
Than $15 an hour. You're probably compensated to the tune of $30ish an hour.
Thats assuming they retire as a part timer right. I assume thats an extremely low number of people that actually do that based on our hub only having 2 people on the preload who have even completed wage progression. Everyone on our preload is under 3 years.
So lets say 3 years is the got ft or quit rate and the 30 is after your progression. And that would be including the money they put into your retirement. Which is null and void because most quit. But i dont know how to calculate that so well leave that blank.
Your first year is zero benefits so 11hr
Second year counting subtracting progression would be 28 per hour of the 30 at progression
3rd year would be 28.50
Times those by the 1250 hour part timer
1st year 13,750 actually paid
2nd year 35,000 - 14,375 actually paid
3rd year 35,625 - 15,000 actually paid
Add those up divide by the 3 years and then divide by 1250 hours your at $18.83 per hour total compensation.
4th year youve quit already if not sooner so i guess somebody gets that 41,250 dollars of retirement compensation minus whatever compensation your health was for the 2 of 3 years. Actually getting to 30 per hour total compensation is greatly off set with the first year and extremely high turnover rate.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thats assuming they retire as a part timer right. I assume thats an extremely low number of people that actually do that based on our hub only having 2 people on the preload who have even completed wage progression. Everyone on our preload is under 3 years.
So lets say 3 years is the got ft or quit rate and the 30 is after your progression. And that would be including the money they put into your retirement. Which is null and void because most quit. But i dont know how to calculate that so well leave that blank.
Your first year is zero benefits so 11hr
Second year counting subtracting progression would be 28 per hour of the 30 at progression
3rd year would be 28.50
Times those by the 1250 hour part timer
1st year 13,750 actually paid
2nd year 35,000 - 14,375 actually paid
3rd year 35,625 - 15,000 actually paid
Add those up divide by the 3 years and then divide by 1250 hours your at $18.83 per hour total compensation.
4th year youve quit already if not sooner so i guess somebody gets that 41,250 dollars of retirement compensation minus whatever compensation your health was for the 2 of 3 years. Actually getting to 30 per hour total compensation is greatly off set with the first year and extremely high turnover rate.
You should look more into how businesses figure cost of employees.

After year one part timers are compensated to the tune of $25+ an hour.

If you never use your health insurance it doesn't mean the company doesn't still pay for it. Same with pension. The company still pays that money.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
You should look more into how businesses figure cost of employees.

After year one part timers are compensated to the tune of $25+ an hour.

If you never use your health insurance it doesn't mean the company doesn't still pay for it. Same with pension. The company still pays that money.
What happens to the pension money paid in if you quit three years in?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
You have to work 5 to be vested I believe so it just stays in the pension fund. Free money if you will.
Well thats good for our pension at least with the highturnover on preload we should be padding up the fund... although i keep hearing the contrary.
Hopefully we dont settle and we get 15 but either way, as always your input is appreciated.

opie

Target announced they will pay $15/hr minimum by 2020. I don't see UPS doing that without major concessions, or where they legally have to under state/local law.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Target announced they will pay $15/hr minimum by 2020. I don't see UPS doing that without major concessions, or where they legally have to under state/local law.
Expect lots of self checkout stations.