Question about coming in early

for the last month I’ve had to come in 30 or 20 minutes early because I’m a tender now but let’s say our start time is 4am, I get there at 3:30 everyday that week and stay for 6 hours. Well when my check gets in and I check the hours I’m always short the exact time that they had me come in early for that week. I’ve told the supervisor every week and each time they do nothing. But if I come in with everyone else at 4 then they’ll say I’m late and send me home. Who else do I need to talk to about this? I don’t think it’s fair for me to be forced in early but not paid for that time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
for the last month I’ve had to come in 30 or 20 minutes early because I’m a tender now but let’s say our start time is 4am, I get there at 3:30 everyday that week and stay for 6 hours. Well when my check gets in and I check the hours I’m always short the exact time that they had me come in early for that week. I’ve told the supervisor every week and each time they do nothing. But if I come in with everyone else at 4 then they’ll say I’m late and send me home. Who else do I need to talk to about this? I don’t think it’s fair for me to be forced in early but not paid for that time.
It’s not only unfair, but it’s also illegal for you to not get paid for that time.

Box Ox

I’ve told the supervisor every week and each time they do nothing. But if I come in with everyone else at 4 then they’ll say I’m late and send me home.

:censored2: that. Walk in and straight up tell them you’ll be filing every time your paycheck is missing a penny. And that you’ll be watching for shortages every day from now until the end of time and taking notes. Preloaders work too hard for too little to get screwed out of any pay.

Sometimes supervisors need to know that your bark actually comes with some bite. When I was a preloader the FT sup would sometimes “accidentally” not push start times back in the computer when we were starting 15-30 minutes earlier than the day before. If you tell your supervisor in front of your sort at PCM that you know what’s going on, it’ll become more trouble than it’s worth for them. If they’re shorting you on paid time, they’re probably shorting others.

Let your steward and/or BA know what’s going on too. Also make notes on when you were shorted and who you talked to about it and when, etc. Guarantee you management won’t remember a thing if there ends up being a meeting about it later.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
File a complaint with your states Attorney General's office. So easy to do, download a form, fill it out, and send it in! UPS loves answering to governmental agencies. You will see more scrambling than Denny's Restaurant on a Sunday morning.

This crapola has been going on way too long! If the union won't shut this down maybe answering to the state will.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
Ohhhh, yea. We had the same issue. Theyre lazy.

Go to any of the full time supervisors at the end of your work day and ask them to adjust your time.
If its in the system that you are supposed to work at 4 and youre told to come at 330 and you clock in at 330. The system wont start paying you until 4.

If they refuse to fix it then file the grievances. But make sure your local stewards/ union reps are aware of whats goin on.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Talk to your steward and file on Article 17

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time
spent in service of the Employer. Rates of pay provided for by this
Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the
time that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in
and until the employee is effectively released from duty. All time
lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations
involving federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no
fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the Employer.
The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start
time without appropriate compensation

And file for penalty pay under the same Article.

Other
shortages involving more than forty ($40.00) dollars for full-time
employees, and twenty ($20.00) dollars for part-time employees, will
be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employ-
ee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday
after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the pay-
ment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the
shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be
paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily
guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in
which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work
day, until corrected.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Time to take any pay issues away from Sups with vested interest in cutting the paid day. They should have zero access to employees clocked hours.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Talk to your steward about the schedule change issue as well. If they are not giving you proper notice to come in early, and sending you home for being "late" when you show up at the scheduled start time, you may be owed for the shifts you missed, or at least show up pay. It depends on your regional contract, or your state may have a law concerning that.

542thruNthru

Get your shop steward and file a Article 17 grievance every time they don't pay you.
Screenshot_20190409-121059.png

ManInBrown

Tell them you want a green check for the paycheck error in 48 hours or enjoy eating that grievance. Amazing how many people allow UPS to walk all over them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I've been arriving late on paper start times for the past week now. Bees think they are smart by posting a late start time and calling everyone into work 30 minutes or more earlier to offset the garuntee but that works both ways they cannot mark me late for showing up at the BS weekly start time. drown in cardboard... all the way to the bank.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Get s steward. Some will have grievances to give you on he spot
Fill and fax a form for garunteed hours for every day you were sent home
Notify your supervisor... Then file on missing time.
Do not give them your phone number, get a new one if need be. It is inviting the enemy into your personal life.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Hopefully you have that documented somewhere somehow because that is highly illegal. Had that happen at a gas station I worked at. Third shift guy always came in two hours early and did all his stocking and things off the clock so he could :censored2: around the rest of the night. Went on for almost a year. Company found out. :censored2: their pants. Had to back pay him for every hour he did that. Moral of the story file on this TOMORROW do not wait another day.