Question about double shifting

Seahawks17

Just wanted to say hi to everybody here, been a lurker for FAR too long so I finally wanted to make an account. I've been working for UPS for about 1 1/2 as a loader and with peak here now, there have been many people double shifting lately. Well my problem is I found out you have to to sign a list I guess to double shift and many people I know were hired after I was are getting called in to double shift, but I, myself, never get called. I went into the office last week to give management my number and tell them I wanted to be on the so called list and I found earlier that my friend got called in again today, with less seniority than me. I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem because I'm willing to double shift, but never get called. Oh, and I work on the night sort and am wanting to double on the twilight sort at my building.

UPSGUY72

They put those list up once a year sig it next year. Remember if you sign the list and they call you and you can't come in they take you off the list.

Seahawks17

There literally was no list to sign, I went into management's office in my building and told them that I wanted to be on the double shift list and all they said was to give them my phone number.

Seahawks17

Hmmm, well my co-worker has declined to come in to double shift a couple times and yet they still continue to call him for double shifting when they need extra people.

UPSGUY72

There literally was no list to sign, I went into management's office in my building and told them that I wanted to be on the double shift list and all they said was to give them my phone number.

There is a list there is a list for everything. If they took you number they must have put it on a list OR NOT. Most list go up the begin of each year and is good for that year. Why don't you ask your HR person they may be able to help you better.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just wanted to say hi to everybody here, been a lurker for FAR too long so I finally wanted to make an account. I've been working for UPS for about 1 1/2 as a loader and with peak here now, there have been many people double shifting lately. Well my problem is I found out you have to to sign a list I guess to double shift and many people I know were hired after I was are getting called in to double shift, but I, myself, never get called. I went into the office last week to give management my number and tell them I wanted to be on the so called list and I found earlier that my friend got called in again today, with less seniority than me. I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem because I'm willing to double shift, but never get called. Oh, and I work on the night sort and am wanting to double on the twilight sort at my building.

This happens everywhere. Supervisors definitely play favorites when it comes to calling people in for doubles.. the only way to get them to do the right thing is to call them on it and then file a grievance when they refuse to comply.

You can always call flow control or get the full time sups number on twilight. At my hub I work twilight and midnite sup comes in and asks us almost everday to double up.

Last edited:

sven

File a grievance for it. Overtime goes to seniority employees first. You cannot be bypassed for a lower seniority employee.

IzzyTheNose

If there's no list like you say, you should definitely file a grievance. Personally, I never allow management to get away with anything, mostly because I work my balls off. So if I were you, I'd grieve every day they worked a less senior employee over you (starting when you notified them you wanted to double), and get paid for it.

Not saying you're going to get it, but if you really want wants owed to you, you're going to have to fight for it, especially with this company.

Another thing, there isn't always a list, especially at peak time. Generally speaking, the double-shifting list comes out before peak. It's a more cost effective way for the company to use double-shifters during the non-peak season, because people who double during peak, know that's when they can make the most money, as opposed to doubling during non-peak season.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In our building, you cannot sign the list until the next month. Good luck though, UPS and union always have different deals worked out.

Seahawks17

Thank you all for the replies, I got the issue solved. I got my friend, who so happens to be my PT sup for my PD, to go and ask the Twilight FT sup why I wasn't being called and they figured out my name and number weren't even on their list. I've been doubling ever since it was resolved, even got over 40+ hours last week, good times!