Guaranteed hours for a double shift?

Jrfjr24

I’m from local 439 and am a part timer. I worked my normal shift on twilight and then doubled for night shift, but was cut after 2 and a half hours. Does anyone know if you get a guarantee still for double shifts, and if so where that is in the contract? I attempted to work 3 1/2 and wasn’t allowed to.

DriverNerd

Not sure if there's anything in your supplement but ours has nothing for double shifting hours. We just use the standard 3.5 guarantee per day so they can cut double shifters whenever they want over 3.5 total as long as it's by seniority.

Jrfjr24

Yeah that’s what management was telling me, but my dad was a shop steward during this contract and is adamant that we get a guarantee for a double shift. He just doesn’t have the contract book anymore, and reading the contract on my phone hasn’t gotten me very far

DriverNerd

Yeah that’s what management was telling me, but my dad was a shop steward during this contract and is adamant that we get a guarantee for a double shift. He just doesn’t have the contract book anymore, and reading the contract on my phone hasn’t gotten me very far
Don't bother looking in the master, if you have any specific language it would be in your supplement and/or rider.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Since there’s no language on it, but you still want to work, see if the stew on the shift you’re doubling on can perform an investigation to witness if any supes are working. If they did grieve them for working and hopefully they’ll eventually let you double for longer after you bury them with paper work. At least they’re letting you double. They’ve been letting only management stooges work doubles here and not honoring seniority, yet supes are working all shift. Then they want to get mad at me and cry foul about staffing issues but they’re not following the posted double shift list. Tired of management and their incompetency and favoritism.

Jrfjr24

Since there’s no language on it, but you still want to work, see if the stew on the shift you’re doubling on can perform an investigation to witness if any supes are working. If they did grieve them for working and hopefully they’ll eventually let you double for longer after you bury them with paper work. At least they’re letting you double. They’ve been letting only management stooges work doubles here and not honoring seniority, yet supes are working all shift. Then they want to get mad at me and cry foul about staffing issues but they’re not following the posted double shift list. Tired of management and their incompetency and favoritism.
Yeah they just got on our management for not using a seniority list for doubles, although I think they only just posted it last week.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Yeah they just got on our management for not using a seniority list for doubles, although I think they only just posted it last week.
IMG_1588.png

Each local/region may have their own language regarding doubles. If there isn’t read NMA 3.7 (b)(c) which I posted above. From my understanding management is supposed to let the stew know that they have callouts, and they’ve exhausted all local means before working. They haven’t been doing that at all and when they do it’s always when I confront them about it. My business agent informed me they can’t just say that in the middle of the shift they must seek me out so be aware and don’t let them give you the run around. Obviously consult with your steward, BA, and local before doing this.

542thruNthru

I’m from local 439 and am a part timer. I worked my normal shift on twilight and then doubled for night shift, but was cut after 2 and a half hours. Does anyone know if you get a guarantee still for double shifts, and if so where that is in the contract? I attempted to work 3 1/2 and wasn’t allowed to.
Screenshot_20230517_104029_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

From Norcal Supp

Jrfjr24

View attachment 429278
Each local/region may have their own language regarding doubles. If there isn’t read NMA 3.7 (b)(c) which I posted above. From my understanding management is supposed to let the stew know that they have callouts, and they’ve exhausted all local means before working. They haven’t been doing that at all and when they do it’s always when I confront them about it. My business agent informed me they can’t just say that in the middle of the shift they must seek me out so be aware and don’t let them give you the run around. Obviously consult with your steward, BA, and local before doing this.
Yeah that’s what I mean. They just posted a signup list for doubles maybe a week ago for this month and the next month.

Not sure if there's anything in your supplement but ours has nothing for double shifting hours. We just use the standard 3.5 guarantee per day so they can cut double shifters whenever they want over 3.5 total as long as it's by seniority.
Article 3, Section 7 of the national says "double shift employees shall have seniority among themselves" so anyone doubling is at the bottom. They are below anyone on their regular shift, so they should be the first to get cut.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Article 3, Section 7 of the national says "double shift employees shall have seniority among themselves" so anyone doubling is at the bottom. They are below anyone on their regular shift, so they should be the first to get cut.
That and say you and another coworker work together my interpretation would be that between you and the other person you would have seniority based on how long they’ve been doubling. Ask your BA to see the proper interpretation.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
YOU WILL NEVER BE A RPCD
😂✊

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
several suppliments or unwritten agreements most everywhere will get you a second 3.5 hour guaruntee. extra work immediately after your first shift is a bit of a grey zone, they don't need to give extra guarunteed hours to extra work designated from the same shift.

DriverNerd

Yeah I wasn't referring to wording about double shifting, just that there's no wording regarding guaranteed hours.