Question about feeder drivers

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Damn right we can. I do every Friday, hate working extra into my Saturday.
when did this start? with the new contract?

we had over 100 feeder runs and probably 80 were slated for over 10 hours. most of the hubs we went to ( except Sacramento ) were 4 plus hours away. Everything East and North of Reno was slightly more than 4 hours away. With SW , FW , fueling etc most of these runs were 10.5-11 plus hours.

i think this is ridiculous. Feeder is so easy anyways. ( snow conditions excluded ) It's management that made it hard.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No, supplemental thing.
OT's great if you want it. But why should I be forced to work past my 9 hour bid job? That's exactly why we have a union. Forced OT is a crock.
They used to force me at times to work extra. It was always an emergency pick up and putting out another fire because too many drivers called out . I had a 9 hour bid.

Got so tired of it that I bid an 11 hour job just so I knew what my day would be. I hated the stress of worrying if they would force me to work extra. The union was no help. the bosses would just state that we are running a business and need to service the customer. Some drivers above would decline and then I would have to do it since there was no one below me I could pass it off too.

ha, I must have been a UPS feeder. can't make this stuff up .

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You can actually keep working without a reset as long as you stay under 60/7.

Yup. You can work 8.57 hours every day until the end of time if you want to, 59.99 hours in any 7 day period.

That would actually make you more money, 11.42 hrs of Overtime and 8.57 hours of Doubletime, plus nearly 16 hours off each day. Hmmm

Last edited:

Csdsm18

So I'm looking at getting on with UPS Cartage. What can you guys tell me about them? How's the pay and hours? Do they work 24/7 like feeders? Any cartage drivers here on this discussion? Trying to get as much info as I can before I jump aboard. Thanks

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Mine too.

It has a little gray or white bar, I think, that says "close."

And mine works while driving also.
This is mine. As you can see i am stopped with engine off want to inbound but got a message that i had to clear. Goes to black driving screen with no way to close without restarting app
2pys6mw.jpg

silenze

So I'm looking at getting on with UPS Cartage. What can you guys tell me about them? How's the pay and hours? Do they work 24/7 like feeders? Any cartage drivers here on this discussion? Trying to get as much info as I can before I jump aboard. Thanks
Cartage is like freight with the benefits and pay of small package. Probably best of both worlds. Especially for a new employee.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Yup. You can work 8.57 hours every day until the end of time if you want to, 59.99 hours in any 7 day period.

That would actually make you more money, 11.42 hrs of Overtime and 8.57 hours of Doubletime, plus nearly 16 hours off each day. Hmmm
very common during the harvest seasons in California except their is no HOS regs for drivers who worked local. maybe that has changed now but i worked months at a time without a single day off during the tomato , onion , almond harvests , at a minimum of 12 hours a day 7days a week. In the early 80's most drivers would work around the clock for weeks at a time catching naps here and there . Most took beans to work like that.

I did that off and on for about 14 years before catching on with UPS.

you drivers are pusillanimous complaining about all the hours. The first few years here I thought I was in heaven with all the time off we get. then was spoiled like the rest of youse.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
very common during the harvest seasons in California except their is no HOS regs for drivers who worked local. maybe that has changed now but i worked months at a time without a single day off during the tomato , onion , almond harvests , at a minimum of 12 hours a day 7days a week. In the early 80's most drivers would work around the clock for weeks at a time catching naps here and there . Most took beans to work like that.

I did that off and on for about 14 years before catching on with UPS.

you drivers are pusillanimous complaining about all the hours. The first few years here I thought I was in heaven with all the time off we get. then was spoiled like the rest of youse.
Bologna

Johney

This is mine. As you can see i am stopped with engine off want to inbound but got a message that i had to clear. Goes to black driving screen with no way to close without restarting app
2pys6mw.jpg
We have had a few original IVIS's swapped out for newer one's and they seem to work much better.

silenze

So I'm assuming it's touch freight then? Are they run 24hrs?
You have to use a hand jack. I don't know what happens at night. I assume most freight gets moved by small pack planes or frieght trucks. Wouldn't make sense to have its own delivery network.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
2pys6mw.jpg

I've had this happen a few times when inbounding. It was always when the gates were full and I slowly rolled up to the phones and barely applied the brakes to stop.

Last time I pulled ahead a little more and applied the brakes hard...this made the inbound screen activate.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
2pys6mw.jpg

Maybe because you're in a Kenworth?

Just kidding.

That has actually happened to me a few times in the past. But hasn't happened in a while.

barnyard

KTM rider

You should probably post this in the Freight forum. This is the small package forum, what we do is significantly different than what Cartage or Freight does.