Question about on-call status for new hire. On Topic.

veryunoriginal

Hello, I was just hired as a PT package handler. Had interview a couple weeks ago, was offered the job, and had orientation yesterday. Was told after talking to my manager that same day that I have on-call status and would need to call in before coming into work. Today (which would've been my first day), was told I was not needed today and to call back the next work day. Anyone have any idea why this would be the case? Is the on-call status for a new hire a temporary thing? I'd love to get started but this gets me a little nervous. Would greatly appreciate any insight or ideas.

john chesney

Standard operating procedure around here. You call in and if they need you they tell you what time to come in. I’m sure you will start working as volume picks up. This also applies if you stay on permanent.

john chesney

Hello, I was just hired as a PT package handler. Had interview a couple weeks ago, was offered the job, and had orientation yesterday. Was told after talking to my manager that same day that I have on-call status and would need to call in before coming into work. Today (which would've been my first day), was told I was not needed today and to call back the next work day. Anyone have any idea why this would be the case? Is the on-call status for a new hire a temporary thing? I'd love to get started but this gets me a little nervous. Would greatly appreciate any insight or ideas.
You will be nervous at ups for the first 25 or so years working there

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Black Friday sales will blow UPS away, so you should be working very soon. This week is just the calm before the storm, all the extra Drivers and Helpers were working and plans going into place so we were actually overstaffed. There will be plenty to do until the first week of January.

WTFm8

I’m a cover driver that was hired 13 months ago.

I’ve called every morning between 7:10-7:20 and its inconvient.

But I’m at 2000 hours this year as of end of this week... you’ll discover there are huge differences between advancement and how things are run based on location.