Question for any upsers in new york city or san fran CA.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ok first question, where the hell do you park??? Second question, are there any routes in either city where your only doing a few buildings and thats pretty much your whole route. One more, these cities probably have a TON on nda, especially in the highrises, so is there a method behind the madness when dealing with so much next day?

rod

Retired 22 years
It seemed to me that a few years ago when I visited Manhatten they parked anywhere they wanted to. On some of the narrow side streets they would double park and block the whole street. Wasn't just UPS- everybody double parked.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was in Manhattan last summer. UPS truck on every block it seemed. Drivers didn't seem to have much of a sense of urgency. Many of the pkg cars had slots in them for letters. Safe driving awards there are earned. I happen to be going to Frisco this July. I'll report back at a later date. BM

DS

Fenderbender
I hate bicycle riders that bitch about the bike lane.
We have a job to do that requires us to block them sometimes.
Go around and live with it ya pansies

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Go around and live with it ya pansies

lol DS. These are probably guys riding around looking funny in their spandex outfits and blocking traffic. I don't deliver in a big city, but I notice there just aren't special parking places near businesses where delivery vehicles can park. And who do these guys think delivered their over-priced bikes to the bike shop? My complaint with cyclists is they will drive down major roads in rush hour traffic at a slower speed that hold traffic up, causing safety hazards themselves. I'm all for biking if you have a safe place to ride, its good exercise. But this biking website seems ridiculous to me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I recall a story from years ago, that in some areas of NYC ups parks an empty car on the streets either overnight or very early in the am. When the loaded car goes out for delivery two drivers are onboard, one to drive the empty back.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Seems as if there was little room to park anywhere, and the damn bikers never once stated that the city is just too crowed, that the hell do they expect.

local804

UPS leads in tickets received and fines paid in NYC every single year. They get over 150,000 tickets and pay over 18 million in fines yearly.

local804

I recall a story from years ago, that in some areas of NYC ups parks an empty car on the streets either overnight or very early in the am. When the loaded car goes out for delivery two drivers are onboard, one to drive the empty back.

Not too sure if this is done much, but I am sure it could be possible. There is always a shortage of UPS trucks in the buildings so I doubt they would have excess to park on the streets. They also do not like leaving property on the road at night, this in NYC, remember :)

mathematics

It seemed to me that a few years ago when I visited Manhatten they parked anywhere they wanted to. On some of the narrow side streets they would double park and block the whole street. Wasn't just UPS- everybody double parked.

what you are probably referring to is called "alternate side parking". in nyc we have street cleaning regulations. for 90 minutes on certain streets you are not allowed to park, say, from 10am til 11:30am while the nyc department of sanitation sends a street cleaner through. now, when that happens in a residential area of manhattan, everyone on that side of the street just double parks on the other side so the street cleaner can get through. the double parked cars in this instant do not get ticketed. i know this all too well from when i went to college in manhattan and got stuck on the wrong side of the street when i got out of class and had to wait for everyone to move their damn cars, haha.

or you could just be talking about mid-to lower manhattan where it isn't residential. in that case, cars are parked seemingly anywhere and it SUCKS.

by the way, i saw the 43rd street manhattan UPS facility yesterday for the first time while stuck at a traffic light for 20 minutes trying to get to the lincoln tunnel. That building is pretty impressive. I saw package cars and trailers parked on the roof. Apparently everything is loaded/unloaded inside the building. the building takes up the entire block; i think from 43rd to 44th streets between 11th and 12th aves.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
My son lives in San Mateo near SF, when he first moved there he did some exploring in the city and said that all the delivery trucks just park and block the streets, they have no choice there is no room, the streets are very narrow downtown.

Another interesting note. Alot of the buildings have locked cages on the outside where the packages are left.

As for bike riders, I hate them riding on streets. If they would follow the traffic laws and rules it would not be so bad, but when was the last time you saw one actually stop at a stop sign or light unless it was to avoid getting hit. They also ride up alongside cars in the lane, not using an adjacent lane to get through traffic. In our state they are to follow the same rules of the road as a car, but they never do.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In Massachusetts I only know of one city where the police actually issue traffic tickets to bike riders, Cambridge .
Under Chapter 90 laws in Ma. a bike is considered a powered vehicle just like a car or truck and is required to obey all posted traffic signs and laws.
So DUI on a bike carries the same penalties, same as not stopping for a stop sign, plus under own highly regulated insurance system all infractions ticketed be it car, truck,or bike add surcharges to SDIP or Credit Code. ( surcharges = premium increases ).

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
BABA I used to drive through CAMBRIDGE on the way to work everyday and I would have loved to run over those arrogant tree hugging left wing radical bike riders. Any one here from Boston will know what I'm talking about!! Right OVER 9.5!!!!!!

LeddySS98

The bicyclist complaining about his little bike lane not being available to him... Bikes dont pay a registation fee... part of your registration fee on a vehicle goes to fund upkeep on roads, and building new ones... They should'nt have a leg to stand on, but it does'nt work that way:angry-very2:

dirty moose

A roumor i ve herd about NYC; the drives get the cars towed so often that they have someone out on the street with a wad of cash to get them out of the impound as quick as possible.

Fnix

Notice all the trucks out late at night. The last thing you could do is let us friend'in park somewhere so we can get home. THen they complain why they dont get packages on time.

dangerman

i work out of the 43rd street building in manhattan. we pretty much park wherever we can. fire hydrants, bus lanes/bus stops, no standing zones are technically off limits, but sometimes it's all that's available. double parking is the norm, usually on the big avenues if possible, as opposed to the side streets. i average about 5 tickets a day, somedays only one, sometimes 10+.

there are some routes that are just 2 or 3 huge office buildings, and that's it. the majority, though, are a stretch of city blocks, usually a mix of residential and commercial stops. you'll see a truck on nearly every block in manhattan.